First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82
Unison problem
I am a new immigrant to Mac after using windows for many years. On windows I use Xnews as my binary news reader/downloader which was small and easy to use. On Mac I have found Unison nice and easy to use except that it freezes quite frequently (rotatinf color wheel) and I need to force quit it. This happens wit... 4 Feb 2010 20:14
Confusion about MacSpeech Words-Per-Minute claims
This post will clear up the confusion about what "Words Per Minute" means, when applied to Speech Recognition apps, such as MacSpeech. MacSpeech often advertises their app as being able to take speech dictation at 160 wpm. What exactly does that mean? If you were typing instead of using speech recogni... 26 Jan 2010 00:02
password protecting my wireless network
For six months my neighbor has been sharing my network and splitting the cost of the cable service. He just told me that his computer died and he won't be needing access any more, but I'm not sure that I believe him. The network has been open until now. How do i set up my wireless home network so that peop... 7 Feb 2010 11:59
Terminal wedged: "Can't open display: :0.0"
My X11 just crashed unexpectedly (a very rare occurrence, until recently), and after restarting it, I'm no longer able to start X11 programs from Terminal. I killed and re-started both Terminal and X11, for good measure, but still I get the same error in Terminal; e.g.: % echo $DISPLAY :0.0 % xlogo Erro... 24 Feb 2010 22:11
Virtual PC?
I bought Virtual PC with Windows X Pro (IIRC). Is that of any use with a modernMac using Intel chips and Snow Leopard? I have had little incentive to switch over to Windows on an occasional basis. Recently, I was thinking of running something like TurboPascal. Bill -- An old man would be better off never... 25 Jan 2010 20:44
Silent Modem
I have a MDD G4 and a 15 inch PowerBook G4 running 10.4.11. I'm going to have to use a dial up connection for about a month and I have discovered that the sound on both my modems isn't audible. I've tried all the settings in System Preferences and nothing seems to help. The PowerBook is cloned from the MDD usin... 25 Jan 2010 11:39
Gigabit ethernet confusion.
In article <4b5d18b7$0$2029$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie(a)pixelmemory.us> wrote: That's the current state. See if the "Advanced" section of the Network preferences has a menu option to manually select gigabit. (Leave it on 'Automatic') If it has it, upgrading to a gigabit switch... 27 Jan 2010 12:36
Boot Camp 3.1 update
I've tried to use the new Boot Camp update on my Windows 7 x64 installation. It doesn't seem to run to completion. Anyone else try this yet? -- -=Elden=- http://www.moondog.org ... 25 Jan 2010 09:24
Strange login behavior
I close my MacBook every night and open it again next morning. Lately, when I open it, I get the login dialog, have just enough time to start typing, and the cursor hops out of the box and the Mac starts beeping every time I hit a key. I have to put the cursor back in the box, clear what I typed before, and ... 24 Jan 2010 13:34
Secure Empty Trash
In article <michelle-07EA7D.10404124012010(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote: Whenever I use Secure Empty Trash on file that is not a bundle, the progress dialog says that it is emptying four items. anyone know why? I can only guess. My gues is that to grea... 26 Jan 2010 12:04