From: Jenn on

"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <hpb3h2$v48$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> nope(a)noway.atnohow.anyday says...
>> OH I dunno ... seems alot of personal stuff gets interjected into the
>> discussions here despite it being a techie group... and btw.. I LIKE
>> techie
>> groups.
>>

> If we were to follow the norms that most ignore today, we would have
> already been advised to take this to email as it's clearly off-topic in
> this thread.
>
> --

ahh ... well... isn't all the fighting off topic, too? :D
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: Leythos on
In article <hpb4q1$6ui$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
nope(a)noway.atnohow.anyday says...
[snip]
> > - since you don't believe there are Usenet
> > trolls, while the those of us that were on Usenet before the first troll
> > do, you might want to reconsider your position.
>
> You're assuming I'm a youngster. THANKS! LOL I'm new to usenet, but I'm
> not new to the internet, newsgroups, and everything that goes with them.
> People are the same in both places.

Hardly assumed anything about your age, that's where you get tricked-up,
by assuming more was stated than was actually stated. You could be 90
for all I know, or 13, but it's obvious that you've not been on Usenet
for long based on your views - you will learn, but it's up to you how
fast. Some people believe everyone is good till you find out otherwise,
others believe everyone is suspect until proven one way or the other,
never trust anyone on the Net, anyone, until given reasons to trust
them.

> <snip>
> >> What makes you think people discussing politics care about the validity
> >> of
> >> any disagreements? Most political discussions I've seen are 99% twisting
> >> what other people say in order to get a reaction? By what you are saying
> >> here, you have some sort of dividing line that doesn't differentiate
> >> between
> >> political discussions and discussions that you consider to be caused by a
> >> troll. BTW .. I LOVE debate type of discussions, and have been a part of
> >> such debate groups for many years.... :) Just thought I'd mention it.
>
> > No, I don't see disagreements as trolling, but, to be honest, making
> > statements just to get a reaction, when that reaction is not valid in
> > the group, that is trolling by definition.
>
> Now that's just purely your own personal opinion, right? People do that
> sort of thing all the time... even in real life and those people aren't
> labeled trolls.

Yes, in real life people are labeled as trolls - while it may not be the
same word in physical presence, the exact same meaning is applied in
real life.

> > political discussions, like
> > any form of discussion, can be trolled, but people can have opposing
> > views and discuss them in a heated manner without trolling - it happens
> > all the time. Most trolls are found in Religion, Politics and
> > Linux/Windows groups on Usenet, they thrive in those areas. A good troll
> > can actually have people going to hundreds of threads in a technical
> > group before being exposed.
>
> See my previous comment above .. :)

And see mine - people in real life can and are viewed as trolls....
You're very naive if you don't see it.

> > In the old days we would just issue a cancel bot to wipe their
> > messages
> > from most Usenet servers, but that power is very frowned on today as
> > well as most Usenet servers don't accept external cancel messages any
> > more.
>
> That's a good thing. I believe in the 1st Amendment. (That's not to say
> that some foul posts should be deleted anyway.)

The first doesn't apply in Usenet, these groups, not the alt groups,
often have charters that provide the base rules, conduct, and use to be
enforced. Once the common idiot found their way to Usenet (and I'm not
saying you are an idiot), and the providers saw Usenet as a loss leader,
the rules went out and people stopped being able to enforce the charters
rules.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <hpb4sc$78u$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
nope(a)noway.atnohow.anyday says...

> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> > In article <hpb3h2$v48$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > nope(a)noway.atnohow.anyday says...
> >> OH I dunno ... seems alot of personal stuff gets interjected into the
> >> discussions here despite it being a techie group... and btw.. I LIKE
> >> techie
> >> groups.
> >>

> > If we were to follow the norms that most ignore today, we would have
> > already been advised to take this to email as it's clearly off-topic in
> > this thread.
> >
> > --
>

> ahh ... well... isn't all the fighting off topic, too? :D

Yes, but exposing a troll or liar or pirate in a group to protect the
innocent and noobs isn't off-topic until it degenerates into a F-Fest.

Trust yourself.
From: Jenn on

> In article <hpb4sc$78u$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> nope(a)noway.atnohow.anyday says...

>> > If we were to follow the norms that most ignore today, we would have
>> > already been advised to take this to email as it's clearly off-topic in
>> > this thread.

>> ahh ... well... isn't all the fighting off topic, too? :D

> Yes, but exposing a troll or liar or pirate in a group to protect the
> innocent and noobs isn't off-topic until it degenerates into a F-Fest.

I think it's more about measuring testosterone than it is about exposing
anything... just saying that's what it looks like at time. :)

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: Jenn on

"ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:4bbd1b21.1306015(a)EDCBIC...
> Jenn wrote:
>>
>>"ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> And Roy Roger's gun never ran out of bullets either,
>>> sort of like a large memory card for your digital camera.
>>

>>I want one of those digital memory cards for my camera that never runs out
>>of memory!! :)
>
> Wal-Mart had 2G SD for less than $10 and sadly I only got one,
> had to return an SDHC that my old Canon can't use.
> Even with the largest size and resolution pics I still get several hundred
> shots per card and my attention span expires before that ;-)

I have a Lumix Panasonic DMC-TZ3 with 10x Zoom & 28mmWIDE Lieca lense. The
memory card that I bought for it holds alot of pics, but I make sure I
download them to my pc every so often to make sure I have room for anything
I might want to shoot on the fly. I take it just about everywhere I go.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)