From: Dustin Cook on
"Peter Foldes" <okf22(a)hotmail.com> wrote in news:hpatg5$57c$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

> Been posting since 89 if that matters

It doesn't really matter to me, Peter. I've acquired the information I
anticipated I'd get from Toxic. I guess the guy never even made it to
script kiddy class.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Jenn on

"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jenn" <nope(a)noway.atnohow.anyday> wrote in

>> He has no *symptoms*.... He has a method that he uses to find either
>> good or bad. He's digging around and trying to hit any hot button he
>> can find in order to bring to light anything good or anything bad with
>> the people he is interacting with.... It's that simple. He's looking
>> for straight answers from people and if he senses people aren't
>> telling the truth he will keep on going until he finds the truth.

> What exactly does he consider the truth to be Jenn? Is it the normal
> definition, or something exclusive to him?

>> Again ... calling someone a troll is the lazy way of interacting with
>> anyone. If you or I can understand why people do what they do and say
>> what they say and gain understanding of those things, (which takes an
>> effort and some time,) there would be no need to label anyone as a
>> troll.

> Alright. You have my attention Jenn. Please tell me in laymens terms what
> exactly BoaterDave is doing or attempting to do here?

I haven't read in depth any other threads but this one.. I've skimmed a
couple other threads. From what I've read he is doing the same thing he
does all the time .. he is attempting to find out the truth about who people
are and if they are being straight up with him, or if they are shining him
on. He will keep asking questions, touching hot buttons, and irritating
anyone who he isn't sure about .... (I don't mean to write a book here..
just explaining what I'm trying to say...)

Sometimes, if you can get a person irritated, it's almost like a dare, then
that person puffs out his chest (figuratively), and then blurts out
information they normally wouldn't say because their guard is down. That's
when you find out what a person is really made of....when their guard is
down. It's similar to this ... There are people who post on a server called
Annexcafe. While they post over there they are abliged to submit to certain
posting rules that keep them *in line*, so to speak. Many of those same
people post on a couple groups on usenet. There is a freedom that exists on
usenet that doesn't exist on the other server, so who a person really is
comes out when there are no rules to moderate their behavior, and no
compelling force exists that they must submit to in order to participate.
So, if they are the same nice person on usenet that they are on AC, it's
probably a good conclusion that they are a nice person, but if they turn
into godzilla on usenet and are nice person galore on AC... you can come to
a different conclusion as to their true nature.

It's the same way with hitting peoples hot buttons ... it's easier to find
out who a person really is if you touch their hot button because how they
respond to being irritated or frustrated or even free from outside restraint
reveals more of their true character, therefore, revealing their true
nature. That true nature can just mean they are just generally naturally
more emotional when they respond to frustrations (simply speaking), or it
can mean that they are really deep down either a good or a bad person
judging from their responses over a period of time, or it can even just show
a more complicated individual who struggles with the normal every day junk
that everyone else deals with.

> Also, can you tell
> me what his interest is in myself? and what he hopes to gain
> knowledgewise from pestering me?

Perhaps he is doing the same thing with you that he did with me when he was
trying to get to know me.. and that is.. he just kept asking me direct
questions about things... like my bbs, and if I used any sort of virus
protection on it.. stuff like that ( I don't remember everything...) he
kept asking... and I'd answer him to the best of my ability. If he wasn't
satisfied.. he ask again .. LOL I had a moment where I had a choice as to
whether or not I was going to be irritated by it or find a way to understand
why he kept asking. I chose the latter.. try to understand him.......
Frankly, I think he likes you and always has, but he has had some doubts
because of your particular skill set... He's more or less putting you to
the test to see if you're a good guy or a bad guy, and I believe he really
wants you to be a good guy. I already told him I believed you to be a good
guy... now he has to figure that out for himself, and part of that is also
dependent on how you respond because some responses can give the wrong
impression even if that isn't your intent... if that or anything I've said
makes sense. :)

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: Jenn on

> I'm capable of civil discussion with anyone who wants the discussion to
> be civil. At the same time, I'm capable of responding in kind to those
> who do not want a civil discussion and aim for lame attacks. <snip>

The next step in anyones communication skillset would be the ability to have
civil discussion with anyone despite how they respond. <wink> ;)

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: Jenn on

"ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:4bbbfdb7.14262406(a)EDCBIC...
> Jenn wrote:
>>
>>No... internet troll is a term people on the internet came up with so they
>>would have one term they could use to label people who were a source of
>>irritation, frustration, and flames on newsgroups. It is a nebulous term
>>that has been used to label anyone that the status quo deems unsubmissive
>>the general norm of the group.
>
> Remember the hip-crime spree on NANAE?
> (Was back in the 90's I believe)

no ... don't remember (don't make me think back that far!) :)

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: Dustin Cook on

> "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I'm capable of civil discussion with anyone who wants the discussion
>> to be civil. At the same time, I'm capable of responding in kind to
>> those who do not want a civil discussion and aim for lame attacks.
>> <snip>
>
> The next step in anyones communication skillset would be the ability
> to have civil discussion with anyone despite how they respond.
> <wink> ;)

People are treated as they wish to be treated. I give everyone the
benefit of the doubt once, unless the individual already made it clear
that civil correspondense isn't on the agenda (re: Toxic). David will
even tell you I was polite and very civil with his email correspondence
until his questions went beyond support for BugHunter. As he is often
doing here, his questions were about other individuals and I wouldn't
discuss them with him. We haven't been friends (heh) since then. He says
I became a whitehat and got too busy with malwarebytes to help him
further. That isn't the truth. The truth was I wasn't going to answer
questions about people or anything that wasn't specifically and only
about BugHunter; that annoyed him. He's been trying to dig up dirt on me
ever since. :)

The guys a nutjob.