From: Luke on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:14:16 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:45:07 -0600, Luke wrote:
>
>> In 7.1 Sponsored Mode I've got the little ad window,
>> which now just has the Eudora logo, undocked, minimized,
>> and pushed mostly off screen, but can it be disappeared entirely,
>> without paying <g>?
>
>o Click in the Ad window and un-check "Allow docking"
>
>o Drag the Ad window (by its top bar) all the way down
> until it completely disappears behind your Windows Task Bar.
[snip]

Been there, done that, it's fairly unobtrusive.

>If you would like to try a slightly different approach,
>make sure that the Ad window is un-docked, drag it down
>until it vanishes, close Eudora, and then edit Eudora.ini
>as follows:
[snip]
>MDIChild=1
[snip]
>If you are displaying Eudora's "MDI task bar"
>(Tools > Options > Display > "Show MDI task bar")
>then you will now see one button containing M$'s
>famous "e" symbol
[snip]

Yikes! That notorious "e" is much more offensive (to me) than
Qualcomm's Eudora symbol pushed nearly off screen :-).

>If the taskbar "e" button is bothersome,
>you can simply "close" that window
>(Ctrl+W, or right-click the button, etc.)
[snip]

No way in Eudora to permanently remove the dread "e"?

>Enjoy Eudora in "Un-Sponsored" mode!

I am. So nice after years in the plain text desert with 3.0.6 to see
all the pretty pictures everyone insists on sending.

Thanks much John.

--
Luke
From: Luke on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:33:08 -0500, Froggie the Gremlin
<Froggie(a)see.sig.for.details> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:45:07 -0700, Luke <luke(a)nowhere.invalid> wrotd:
>
>>In 7.1 Sponsored Mode I've got the little ad window, which now just
>>has the Eudora logo, undocked, minimized, and pushed mostly off
>>screen, but can it be disappeared entirely, without paying <g>?
>>Thanks!
>
>FirstName: Luke
>LastName: Skywalker
> Code: 4636986383332936
>
>You're welcome <g>...

Thanks, but having used Eudora Light 15 years for free, even for this
anti-capitalist atheist what little is left of my conscience says no.
On second thought.... ;-)

--
Luke
From: John H Meyers on
Previously:

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:51:14 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:

> I tried this, but I still got an Ads subdirectory
> with its own AdCache subdirectory populated back
> in the new EudPriv directory. And there is still the
> "To remain in Sponsored mode Upgrade Now!" ad in there. Is that
> just a one-time thing, or is there a way to dispense with that as well?

The folders (and the two files mentioned below)
normally do regenerate (even in Paid mode), but it then
requires downloads via http from Qualcomm's ad servers
for any additional files to be created anew.

Is anyone else still getting ads in Sponsored mode,
after closing Eudora and deleting the "EudPriv" subfolder
from your current email data folder?

If the "Properties" of the shortcut which you use
to start Eudora contains a command line that has
two paths (the first ending with "Eudora.exe"),
then the second path locates your Eudora data folder;
otherwise, to locate your Eudora email data folder, see
"Where are my mailboxes and other Eudora data files located"
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2722hq.html
(look also in file "deudora.ini" for a "DataFolder=" line)

Having located your current data folder,
do you find any other files in the "EudPriv/Ads" sub-folder,
besides: AdCache, CInfo.dat, and Eudora.idx ?

If so, what file name(s), and what modification dates/times?

Files with names such as "1051612330.mfs" are dated files
which are downloaded from adserver.eudora.com,
specifying detailed available ad info, including the URLs
to graphic images at ads.eudora.com; those graphic images
(.jpg and .png) are then downloaded into the AdCache folder,
where they remain cached so that Eudora can display them
in rotation for a while, until it's time to
try to go fetch a new bunch.

Please check whether any ".mfs" file(s) or image files
have today's modification date, and if so,
could you list any name(s) of any current ".mfs" files
(if not current, list the latest one,
with the highest number in its name).

I can't seem to get any ads myself today,
nor can I display previously known ad image URLs,
but perhaps mileage may vary elsewhere.

I believe there's no harm in temporarily changing
to sponsored mode (which I do all the time myself),
in case any Paid subscribers would also like to check this out;
most people also know how to create shortcuts to brand new
email data folders, which can then be used for unlimited
experimentation, without affecting any previously existing folders.

> This is on a 5.2 install, so it might be related
> to your "revert to light" discussion.

I don't know of any different behavior between versions,
except that version 7.1.0.9 is supposed to have disabled
various behaviors of "nagging" for not getting ads,
and presumably for not registering, not profiling,
or being asked to send statistics (since all of this stuff
will eventually be shut down at Qualcomm).

By the way, is there a reason for staying at 5.2?

Thanks for any feedback, and best wishes.

-[ ]-
From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:39:37 -0600, Luke wrote:

[after making the Ad window "float in main window"
(but out of sight) via an edit of Eudora.ini]

> No way in Eudora to permanently remove the dread "e"?

You could turn off Eudora's "MDI task bar" :)

Or just hit Ctrl-W (to close the window)
at the outset of each session.

But even leaving the Ad window in its original,
non-MDI state, if the Windows task bar
is at the bottom of the screen,
and if the Windows task bar "Properties"
include "Always on top" but not "Auto hide,"
then Eudora's Ad window should totally vanish
when dragged down behind Windows' task bar
(it slightly pops up next time,
when Eudora is first started, but then
it takes only half a second to "bury" it again).

I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,
seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
still has an interest in this arcane issue.

-[ ]-
From: sf on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:55:27 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>But even leaving the Ad window in its original,
>non-MDI state, if the Windows task bar
>is at the bottom of the screen,
>and if the Windows task bar "Properties"
>include "Always on top" but not "Auto hide,"
>then Eudora's Ad window should totally vanish
>when dragged down behind Windows' task bar
>(it slightly pops up next time,
>when Eudora is first started, but then
>it takes only half a second to "bury" it again).
>
>I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,
>seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
>still has an interest in this arcane issue.

The "arcane issue" you're talking about isn't anything I'm interested
in... but I have Eurdora 7+ and the sponsored window has been "dead"
for a couple of days.

Does anyone know why it happened and/or what can I do about it? I use
the ad screen undocked and I don't ever bury it. In fact, I think
their ads have become more interesting in the past few months... so
ads are not an issue for me. What *IS* an issue is the fact that the
ads are not displaying. Unfortunately, I don't remember the "fix".

Apparently no one in this thread officially represents Eudora, so I
probably won't get an answer about how to fix the problem. My only
need is to get the ads back in the "sponsored by" window so I can
continue using Eudora in sponsored mode.

TIA

--
See return address to reply by email
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last