From: Frank Lekens on
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:50:15 GMT Jon Purkey wrote:

> (Been using Eudora for
> years and have never bothered to look up what the NUM is for.)

Numlock on/off indicator.
--
Frank
(xs4all dot nl is where it's really @)
From: Frank Lekens on
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:51:53 -0600 John H Meyers wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:36:16 -0600, <sf> wrote:
>
>>> you can toss the "blank" Ad window away, if you like
>>> (or leave it, it doesn't matter to Eudora)
>
>> How do I "toss" the ad window?

<snip elaborate explanation>

Geeze, what a lot of trouble to have to go to.
Now that they're discontinuing the product anyway, why not just release the
paid version for free, or float around a serial number for everyone to use
(on the part of Qualcomm, I mean).

I mean, *I*'ve paid for Eudora for all these years and I wouldn't begrudge
other users the free ride.
From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:50:15 -0600, Jon Purkey wrote:

> After getting a warning today I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1
> and have now [moved the Ad window off-screen].
> Will I get any more warnings from Eudora?

There shouldn't be any, but post a note here if you ever see one.

> If I move the ad window on-screen I see that it is
> not displaying anything, other than the Eudora logo.
> Haven't seen any ads for several days.

R.I.P. :-)

Eudora version info is sent to the ad server,
which now apparently returns to version 7.1 clients
a kind of "empty list," so that no ads actually download.

Pre-7.1 clients get a list containing one Qualcomm "ad,"
which serves to continue nagging and asserting that
you have to upgrade to avoid Sponsored mode reverting to Light mode,
due to pre-7.1 Eudora being programmed to presume you guilty
of blocking the ad servers if appropriate files never download,
which eventually will happen when ad servers are decommissioned.

However, experiment seems to have confirmed
that it is easy to prevent this, and also easy
to change right back again if it ever did occur.

> When Eudora starts, the ad window is in the lower right corner,
> only covering part of the "NUM" whatever that's for.

Indicates "Num Lock" on your keyboard, duplicating an indicator
which is on most keyboards anyway.

There is also an OVR indicator (overwrite mode),
and I presume a Caps Lock indicator
(though I don't have such a mode in my OS :)

-[ ]-
From: John H Meyers on
By the way, the additional "Ad toolbar" is already gone,
even from pre-7.1 clients still getting Qualcomm's
"upgrade" ads -- apparently because the ad server
no longer feeds "ad toolbar" icons to the client,
which used to cause an extra,
non-removable toolbar to appear,
on which two or three sponsor links would always remain.

-[ ]-
From: Luke on
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:47:25 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 08:26:59 -0700, Luke <luke(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:55:27 -0600, "John H Meyers"
>><jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:39:37 -0600, Luke wrote:
>>>
>>>[after making the Ad window "float in main window"
>>>(but out of sight) via an edit of Eudora.ini]

>>>You could turn off Eudora's "MDI task bar" :)
>>[snip]
>>
>>I like the task bar, but detest the "e", so it's back to pushing the
>>old ad window mostly out of sight in a corner. A tiny annoyance now
>>the ads are gone from the window and toolbar :-). Thanks for your
>>help.
>>
>>>I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,
>>>seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
>>>still has an interest in this arcane issue.
>>
>>No, haven't done that. Have you?
>
>What is this E you're talking about and what is the MDI task bar?

See John H Meyers' reply to my question starting this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/fad587dff67a4390?hl=en&

HTH.

--
Luke