From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 23:10:34 -0600, <sf> wrote:

> the MDI task bar is checked...
> there is no "e" anywhere.

If (and only if) you change the properties of the Ad window
to that it "floats in main window" (becomes like most other
open windows within Eudora), *then* the open Ad window gets
represented by a button on the "MDI taskbar," and the icon
which appears on that button is then the Internet Explorer icon
("e"), because the Ad window (which displays only an image)
is *always* displayed using Internet Explorer; it also
becomes possible in this situation to simply close
that window, making it completely disappear from
within the Eudora application, not just to drag it
to the edge of the monitor screen.

There is no built-in way to change that Ad window
to "float in main window"; however, that property
can be changed by manually editing Eudora.ini

If anyone can find a different adjustment to get
a "close button" [x] to appear on that window,
this would provide an alternate way
to make the Ad window vanish completely
(although dragging down to vanish beneath
an "always on top" Windows task bar is nearly equivalent).

-[ ]-
From: phampants on
On Mar 2, 4:44 pm, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Don't forget to make a backup copy of Eudora.ini elsewhere,
> before setting all this up, as an extra precaution.
>
> If you don't know where your mail data folder is,
> then look at the "Properties" of the shortcut which you use
> to start Eudora -- if it contains a command line
> that has two paths (the first ending with "Eudora.exe"),
> then the second path locates your Eudora data folder;
> otherwise, to locate your Eudora email data folder, see
> "Where are my mailboxes and other Eudora data files located"http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2722hq.html
> "Locating Eudora on your hard drive"http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1607hq.html
> (look also in file "deudora.ini" for a "DataFolder=" line)
>
> ----- Command file follows (just store it) -----
> @ echo off
> rem Keep Eudora in "Sponsored" mode without ads
>
> rem Copy this file into your Eudora mail folder
> rem (where you find Eudora.ini, not program files),
> rem along with the original shortcut
> rem which had been used to start Eudora,
> rem and use a shortcut to *this* file instead,
> rem in place of that original shortcut
> rem (or just open this file directly).
>
> rem Make sure that Eudora is not already running
> if not exist owner.lok goto nolock
> echo.
> dir owner.lok | find /i "lok"
> echo WARNING: EUDORA IS CURRENTLY IN USE, please close it first.
> echo.
> pause
> goto end
>
> : nolock
>
> rem Remove all Ad files and AdCache directory
> rem (these normally regenerate anyway as needed).
> echo Ignore errors here...
> del EudPriv\Ads\AdCache\?*.*
> rmdir EudPriv\Ads\AdCache
> echo There should be NO more errors below...
> del EudPriv\Ads\?*.*
> copy nul EudPriv\Ads\AdCache
>
> echo Copying Eudora.ini to Eudora.ibk
> copy Eudora.ini Eudora.ibk /y
> echo (restore it if script fails below)
>
> rem IMPORTANT: make sure you've kept a backup elsewhere,
> rem IMPORTANT: not just the copy made above!
> echo Editing Eudora.ini
> rem Remove "NGxxxx" lines from Eudora.ini
> find /v "NGBase" < Eudora.ini > Eudora.i$1
> find /v "NGLast" < Eudora.i$1 > Eudora.i$2
> find /v "NGLoc" < Eudora.i$2 > Eudora.i$3
> find /v "NGUpdate" < Eudora.i$3 > Eudora.ini
> del Eudora.i$?
>
> rem Now start the original Eudora shortcut
> rem (which should be moved into *this* folder).
>
> rem Your shortcut may be renamed to "_Eudora"
> rem (matching the command below, omitting ".lnk")
>
> rem Or you can edit the command below,
> rem to match the existing shortcut name, adding ".lnk"
>
> echo Starting Eudora (via original shortcut)
> rem Either "start _Eudora.lnk" or just "_Eudora.lnk"
> _Eudora.lnk
>
> echo If any non-ignorable errors occurred,
> echo then restore Eudora.ini before re-running script.
> pause (remove this line after ensuring proper results)

How certain are you that this will work? I don't want to revert to
Light Mode come Apr 1st, but there is no point to upgrade to 7.1
because the school is closing in 2 months.

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:19:15 -0500:

[about using posted methods, including a script file that you can store,
and instructions for making a new Eudora shortcut to swap with the old,
to keep Eudora versions prior to 7.1.0.9 in Sponsored mode indefinitely]

> How certain are you that this will work?

I am very sure that I've researched a great deal,
poked into the operation on my own computer a lot
(to see what's happening within Eudora.ini and Ad files),
written the script very carefully, tested it very thoroughly
on my own computer (while blocking my computer from contacting
Eudora Ad servers for several weeks), researched again
at http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm to make the script
as compatible as possible with all Windows versions,
included careful directions suggesting to keep a separate
back up of Eudora.ini for protection against even
script or MS-DOS failures, and that even after I let my
6.2.5.6 version be starved of ads *without* using my script,
until it did try to "revert to light,"
it could even then be manually stopped at that very moment
from doing so, or could be allowed to change to light mode,
but then was willing to be changed right back again to Sponsored.

What I didn't do was to try any other versions
besides Eudora 6.2.5.6 running on Windows 2000,
nor had I the time to see whether Eudora could be allowed to
go on, even without a script, manually changing back each time
for months, to see whether it would try harder to "stick"
in light mode -- it's known that there's a Mode=3 value
for Eudora.ini which tries to demand "profiling" before
becoming Sponsored again (and believes that you have,
if you just click "OK"); of course even something
like that could be edited right back again to undo it,
so my imagination is runnning out of ideas for how Eudora
could defeat all these measures, whether manual or automated,
even if we long neglect to even start employing them.

This is not proof beyond all possibilities in the universe,
however, and I (even like Qualcomm) disclaim all liability
should things not work perfectly, including but not limited to
your computer bursting into flames -- but if you post
or email something and I'm still alive and able to access
newsgroups or email, I'll see whether I can be of help.

I think it may actually even depend a little on whether
Eudora works -- after all, how sure is Qualcomm
that they didn't introduce some unknown bug
into all their "final version" changes
(as they seem to have done with regard to other details),
and how do they know whether 7.1.0.9 in Sponsored mode will *really*
never complain about *anything*, six months down the road from now?
(if it does, I bet that they will do nothing at all about it,
the same as for any other "final permanent bugs" still in the product).

> I don't want to revert to Light Mode come Apr 1st...

It seems to take some more weeks of "ad starvation" after that,
at least for 6.2.5.6 (some versions may complain more than others),
and of course it's been reported more than once that you can
change yourself right back again to Sponsored mode.

> but there is no point to upgrade to 7.1
> because the school is closing in 2 months.

Are you managing all the computers in a school?

What version are you using now?

It takes only minutes to install a new version
(probably less time than to follow the instructions for
installing the suggested alternative "no light mode forever"
script and swapping the shortcuts), so I can't see it not
being just as feasible to install 7.1 when you can.

This idea of keeping older versions forever in Sponsored mode
is meant only for those who otherwise need to keep the older
version, perhaps because IMAP got broken in v7, as some say,
or if Windows 98/ME gets flaky with any standard feature of 7.1,
which may or may not ever really happen, or if the old computer
is out of memory or disk space and can't run the installer,
or any other compelling reason (e.g. insecurity, forgetting
or not having the Administrator account password on your computer,
fear of disturbing anything [if it ain't broke don't fix it],
preference for the older splash screen, sentimental attachment,
or even previous bad luck with the number 7 :)

There are also other free email programs -- one called "Penelope,"
supposedly replacing Eudora, is apparently occupying the original
Eudora developers' attention right now.

Oh, and of course anyone can still register for paid mode
(which will last forever, and will equally forever liberate
any version 4.3 thru 7.1) until April 30 2007, for a mere
US$19.95 by credit card, at http://www.eudora.com/buying/

Finally, it seems almost a certainty that either as a protest
or as a "service," especially if anyone does feel very put out
by any emerging obstacles, someone will eventually post
paid mode registration codes (again), or offer by mail.

Since so many are already on indexed web sites anyway,
that cat can hardly be kept in the bag, and is a final
"safety net" for even the most severe case of vertigo.

-[ ]-
From: phampants on
We are using version 6.2.3.4 on a Novell Win/98XP network. The
network was
poorly created and when I was handed this network from my predecessor,
I was
not given many options. The main hassle would be going around to all
computers and changing the icons on each faculty PC because Eudora
would be
installed on the server.

From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:48:45 -0500:

> We are using version 6.2.3.4 on a Novell Win/98XP [school] network
> The network was poorly created and when I was handed this network
> from my predecessor, I was not given many options.

And everyone uses Sponsored mode?

> The main hassle would be going around to all computers
> and changing the icons on each faculty PC
> because Eudora would be installed on the server.

Is the Eudora *program* installed on the server?

If it were, then perhaps one can replace the v6 program
with v7.1 in that one single place, if it exists in only
that one place, rather than having been installed
on every individual faculty PC -- that would be
an ideal solution, with nothing else needed.

If each PC has its own Eudora.exe of vintage 6.2, however,
then it would require installing the 7.1 program
on each of those PCs, or else focusing instead
on the folders where the mail is stored,
to apply this script instead.

If all the folders where the mail is stored
happen to be on the server, then you can
store a script file into all of them,
while sitting at just one workstation
(where you can access the server as an admin).

If shortcuts to start Eudora, each pointing to
its own mail storage folder, are also on the
server, then fabulous, that too would be a breeze to handle;
otherwise you have to somehow get to modify something
on each individual PC, even if only a shortcut.

If all (or some) PCs are members of a "domain" where
you are the admin, then you'd be able to access
their local "logical disk drives" as well,
from one place, as we can; otherwise a "house call"
to visit each PC seems unavoidable.

However, it's also possible to email every owner
of every PC, attaching a copy of 7.1 to install, say,
or putting it somewhere convenient to find, on the server,
or email instructions how they can manually
keep Eudora sedated indefinitely, by themselves :)

Or register and get a code, and store it directly
into the one program folder, or else into the
individual mail folders (if they are on the server);
the format of a "regcode.dat" file is:

Eudora-File-Type: RegCode
Eudora-First-Name: firstname
Eudora-Last-Name: lastname
Eudora-Reg-Code: 1111-2222-3333-4444

When Eudora finds the regcode.dat file,
it will pop up an approval box,
and then install it automatically if accepted.

If "the school is closing in two months" anyway,
and there are no ads left to see,
there must be some suitable strategy
among all these alternatives.

-[ ]-