From: Luke on
In 7.1 Sponsored Mode I've got the little ad window, which now just
has the Eudora logo, undocked, minimized, and pushed mostly off
screen, but can it be disappeared entirely, without paying <g>?
Thanks!

--
Luke
From: Froggie the Gremlin on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:45:07 -0700, Luke <luke(a)nowhere.invalid> wrotd:

>In 7.1 Sponsored Mode I've got the little ad window, which now just
>has the Eudora logo, undocked, minimized, and pushed mostly off
>screen, but can it be disappeared entirely, without paying <g>?
>Thanks!

FirstName: Luke
LastName: Skywalker
Code: 4636986383332936

You're welcome <g>...

---<ribbit>

From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:45:07 -0600, Luke wrote:

> In 7.1 Sponsored Mode I've got the little ad window,
> which now just has the Eudora logo, undocked, minimized,
> and pushed mostly off screen, but can it be disappeared entirely,
> without paying <g>?

o Click in the Ad window and un-check "Allow docking"

o Drag the Ad window (by its top bar) all the way down
until it completely disappears behind your Windows Task Bar.

This alone may make you happy, in which case stop here;
each time Eudora starts up, the very top of the Ad window
may "nudge upwards" a bit, but you can just drag it right down
at any time, and keep it totally vanished.

If you would like to try a slightly different approach,
make sure that the Ad window is un-docked, drag it down
until it vanishes, close Eudora, and then edit Eudora.ini
as follows:

Search for the string "316" until you find these lines:
(if you don't find exactly this, go back and un-dock the Ad window)

Bar#0=0
Bar#1=316
Bar#2=0

Now look within the same [ToolBar-BarXX] section,
generally above where you just found those lines,
and find this line:

MDIChild=0

Change that line to say:

MDIChild=1

Now save your edited Eudora.ini and start Eudora.

If you are displaying Eudora's "MDI task bar"
(Tools > Options > Display > "Show MDI task bar")
then you will now see one button containing M$'s
famous "e" symbol, representing "Internet Explorer,"
which is used to display the ad graphics
from site ads.eudora.com,
although if you had dragged the Ad window to an
off-screen position before editing Eudora.ini,
you won't actually see the Ad window itself any more.

If the taskbar "e" button is bothersome,
you can simply "close" that window
(Ctrl+W, or right-click the button, etc.)

If you decide that this arrangement isn't more likeable
than before, then you can always close Eudora,
then reverse the original edit.

If you still have old ads displaying
and would like to dispense with them,
close Eudora, then look in your Eudora mail data folder
and delete the "EudPriv" sub-folder;
if Qualcomm has permanently ceased to deliver any ads,
as seems to be the case, then this will permanently eliminate
any left-over old ads (the "EudPriv" sub-folder
will be re-generated, but without new ad content).

When no ad is being displayed in the Ad window,
then you are free to move the Ad window off-screen
without ever receiving the old "nag" message
that "something seems to be covering the Ad."

I will post more later about eliminating
"revert to light" for older Eudora versions;
this wouldn't happen for several weeks anyway,
and won't happen with 7.1.0.9 in any case.

Enjoy Eudora in "Un-Sponsored" mode!

-[ ]-
From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:08 -0600, "Froggie the Gremlin"

[posted a valid "Paid" mode registration code,
although Qualcomm may still be selling licenses
through April 30, 2007]

Well, that will permanently solve it for everyone,
although it may be a controversial issue to some
(perhaps to Qualcomm, however laid back they may be,
even offering refunds after you have received
your own Paid license, if you ask for a refund).

For anyone who doesn't feel completely at home
with using a code generated without paying Qualcomm,
you could enter the given code, then change back to Sponsored mode.

Even for older versions which might have "reverted to light,"
the mere presence of the "Paid" mode registration code
in your Eudora.ini file *should* prevent reverting to light!
(which is easier than the methods which I have posted :)

Enjoy whatever mode in which you wish to use Eudora,
and best wishes.

-[ ]-
From: Scott Harper on
In article <op.tog3p2lunn735j(a)w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu>, "John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>If you still have old ads displaying
>and would like to dispense with them,
>close Eudora, then look in your Eudora mail data folder
>and delete the "EudPriv" sub-folder;
>if Qualcomm has permanently ceased to deliver any ads,
>as seems to be the case, then this will permanently eliminate
>any left-over old ads (the "EudPriv" sub-folder
>will be re-generated, but without new ad content).

I tried this, but I still got an Ads subdirectory with its own AdCache
subdirectory populated back in the new EudPriv directory. And there is
still the "To remain in Sponsored mode Upgrade Now!" ad in there. Is that
just a one-time thing, or is there a way to dispense with that as well?

This is on a 5.2 install, so it might be related to your "revert to light"
discussion below:

>I will post more later about eliminating
>"revert to light" for older Eudora versions;
>this wouldn't happen for several weeks anyway,
>and won't happen with 7.1.0.9 in any case.

scott
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Eudora on Vista