From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:06:29 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:

> My "Ads" directory has 1058405698.mfs, dated today...

> the graphic is for the "To remain in Sponsored mode Upgrade Now!" ad
> so it's not a "real" ad, more like an internal Eudora ad.

Well, that's probably a new file,
so although I can't get any computer here to download ads,
you must have a better connection :)

I can go directly to a couple of graphic file URLs
that were in my last ".mfs" file (you can view these in
Notepad with "WordWrap" turned on, to see the readable
content -- just don't "save" the file) and see graphics,
so it may be that Qualcomm is doing exactly
what it says at http://eudora.com/faq/#Sponsored, which reads:

"QUALCOMM plans to stop trafficking outside advertising
on February 28, 2007 and all advertising will cease on March 31, 2007"

Qualcomm has also been using the "Ad" mechanism to advertise
that it wants Sponsored folks to use the latest version
(although I believe that any Windows versions can be kept
working anyway, with minor help), so I guess we'll all
have to wait a bit longer for "ads" to finally disappear,
after all.

-[ ]-
From: Scott Harper on
In article <op.toi6diqjnn735j(a)w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu>, "John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>Qualcomm has also been using the "Ad" mechanism to advertise
>that it wants Sponsored folks to use the latest version
>(although I believe that any Windows versions can be kept
>working anyway, with minor help), so I guess we'll all
>have to wait a bit longer for "ads" to finally disappear,
>after all.

You asked why I was still using 5.2. This begs the converse question... is
there a really good reason why I should upgrade to 7.x, even in Sponsored
mode?

scott
From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:21:06 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:

> You asked why I was still using 5.2.
> This begs the converse question...
> is there a really good reason why I should upgrade to 7.x.
> even in Sponsored mode?

To 7.1, "to get rid of all the nags," as you had asked :)

Each version's "Readme" and "Release notes"
summarize improvements and fixed bugs
(sometimes cumulatively for several versions),
so you may peruse those to determine
whether any of that is useful to you
(note that some security issues have been addressed
since your version, besides what others may consider
only minor or cosmetic improvements).

You may get rid of nags by periodically deleting
the "EudPriv" sub-folder of your email data folder,
and by also deleting all the "NGxxxx=" lines
from your "Eudora.ini" file;
this action can be automated by a "batch/command" file
which I have previously posted a few times
(I have suggested using a shortcut to that file
for starting Eudora, in place of the existing shortcut,
letting the command file in turn use your original shortcut
to automatically start Eudora).

I have just had a rousing success, in that my experimental
version 6.2.5.6 which I have long blocked from contacting
Eudora's ad servers has finally, after at least a couple of weeks,
reverted me to "Light" mode, so I'll be checking to see
just how it has indicated that, to complete the picture
of making sure that we can forever prevent older versions
from ever returning to Light mode.

But lunch is of course a priority interrupt :)

-[ ]-
From: Old Enough on
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:07:24 -0600, "John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid>
wrote:

>and by also deleting all the "NGxxxx=" lines
> from your "Eudora.ini" file;

I've done that a long time ago, and to keep them from coming back, I marked the
"Eudora.ini" file "read only".
However, I found that any time I edited the file for any reason, they came back,
and I had to remove them again.
____________________________
Old enough . . .
to know I don't know a thing.
From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:00:24 -0600, Old Enough wrote:

> I've [deleted "NGxxxx=" lines from Eudora.ini] a long time ago,
> and to keep them from coming back,
> I marked the "Eudora.ini" file "read only".
> However, I found that any time I edited the file for any reason,
> they came back, and I had to remove them again.

Eudora.ini keeps track of many things, including your toolbars,
certain window sizes and placements, personalities,
file associations for attachments, etc.,
so that if Eudora.ini were left read-only,
none of those essential functions would work.

I recommend using the posted windows command file instead,
or even just those few lines within it
which automatically remove the "NG" lines from Eudora.ini:

echo Copying Eudora.ini to Eudora.ibk
copy Eudora.ini Eudora.ibk /y
echo (restore it if script fails below)
echo Editing Eudora.ini
rem Remove "NGxxxx" lines from Eudora.ini
find /v "NGBase" < Eudora.ini > Eudora.i$1
find /v "NGLast" < Eudora.i$1 > Eudora.i$2
find /v "NGLoc" < Eudora.i$2 > Eudora.i$3
find /v "NGUpdate" < Eudora.i$3 > Eudora.ini
del Eudora.i$?

Meanwhile, I compared my two most recent versions
of Eudora.ini, one made just before I was finally
"reverted to Light mode" (for having blocked the
ad servers for several weeks), and another just afterwards.

Basically, it had just changed my operating mode back to Light,
and had reset my toolbars; all that was needed for me
to go back to Sponsored mode was the usual
Help > "Payment & Registration" then click "Sponsored"

Restoring a recent backup of Eudora.ini would be even better,
because it would restore the toolbars and personalities,
to save the trouble of manually re-configuring.

The file ...\EudPriv\Ads\CInfo.dat,
which records information about seeking Ad server contact,
also changes in every session, and may record something
about how long or how many times contact is attempted,
but in any case, the suggested complete command file,
as posted, not only removes all the "NGxxxx=" lines
from Eudora.ini (which is sufficient to suppress most "nags,"),
but also deletes everything from the "Ads" folder,
causing the above file to be newly regenerated anyway.

So in any case, I believe that using a script to start Eudora
will certainly prevent reverting Sponsored to Light mode
"before the fact," as well as cure it "after the fact,"
so I believe that there is no need to heed Qualcomm's warning
that upgrading to version 7.1.0.9 is "mandatory,"
except for someone who has no information or source for help.

If anyone using a version older than 7.1.0.9
would like to use a shortcut to this command file
for starting Eudora, in place of the existing shortcut,
letting the command file in turn use your original shortcut
to automatically start Eudora, then just save a copy
of the command file in each mail data folder
(as "anyname.cmd" in NT/2000/XP/2003 or "anyname.bat" in 98/ME),
move the existing shortcut into the data folder,
and create a new shortcut by right-clicking the copied
command file and choosing "Send to..." "Desktop"

See also the note near the end of the command file
about having the shortcut name at the end of the command file
agree with the actual name of the shortcut, so that the command file
can call the original shortcut, as its final action.

Don't forget to make a backup copy of Eudora.ini elsewhere,
before setting all this up, as an extra precaution.

If you don't know where your mail data folder is,
then look at the "Properties" of the shortcut which you use
to start Eudora -- if it contains a command line
that has two paths (the first ending with "Eudora.exe"),
then the second path locates your Eudora data folder;
otherwise, to locate your Eudora email data folder, see
"Where are my mailboxes and other Eudora data files located"
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2722hq.html
"Locating Eudora on your hard drive"
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1607hq.html
(look also in file "deudora.ini" for a "DataFolder=" line)

----- Command file follows (just store it) -----
@ echo off
rem Keep Eudora in "Sponsored" mode without ads

rem Copy this file into your Eudora mail folder
rem (where you find Eudora.ini, not program files),
rem along with the original shortcut
rem which had been used to start Eudora,
rem and use a shortcut to *this* file instead,
rem in place of that original shortcut
rem (or just open this file directly).

rem Make sure that Eudora is not already running
if not exist owner.lok goto nolock
echo.
dir owner.lok | find /i "lok"
echo WARNING: EUDORA IS CURRENTLY IN USE, please close it first.
echo.
pause
goto end

: nolock

rem Remove all Ad files and AdCache directory
rem (these normally regenerate anyway as needed).
echo Ignore errors here...
del EudPriv\Ads\AdCache\?*.*
rmdir EudPriv\Ads\AdCache
echo There should be NO more errors below...
del EudPriv\Ads\?*.*
copy nul EudPriv\Ads\AdCache

echo Copying Eudora.ini to Eudora.ibk
copy Eudora.ini Eudora.ibk /y
echo (restore it if script fails below)

rem IMPORTANT: make sure you've kept a backup elsewhere,
rem IMPORTANT: not just the copy made above!
echo Editing Eudora.ini
rem Remove "NGxxxx" lines from Eudora.ini
find /v "NGBase" < Eudora.ini > Eudora.i$1
find /v "NGLast" < Eudora.i$1 > Eudora.i$2
find /v "NGLoc" < Eudora.i$2 > Eudora.i$3
find /v "NGUpdate" < Eudora.i$3 > Eudora.ini
del Eudora.i$?

rem Now start the original Eudora shortcut
rem (which should be moved into *this* folder).

rem Your shortcut may be renamed to "_Eudora"
rem (matching the command below, omitting ".lnk")

rem Or you can edit the command below,
rem to match the existing shortcut name, adding ".lnk"

echo Starting Eudora (via original shortcut)
rem Either "start _Eudora.lnk" or just "_Eudora.lnk"
_Eudora.lnk

echo If any non-ignorable errors occurred,
echo then restore Eudora.ini before re-running script.
pause (remove this line after ensuring proper results)

: end
rem END OF SCRIPT FILE
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9