From: John H Meyers on
Apparently the Qualcomm ad server is still operating,
but the only ad seems to be the "upgrade now" admonition
from Qualcomm, recommending the "final" upgrade
to prevent "reverting to Light" for Sponsored users.

This seems to be in accordance with
http://eudora.com/faq/#Sponsored
which reads in part:

"QUALCOMM plans to stop trafficking outside advertising
on February 28, 2007
and all advertising will cease on March 31, 2007"

So nothing will be lost to Qualcomm by suppressing
the lovely "Mandatory Upgrade 7.1w / 6.2.4m" ad series,
which you can still admire here:
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2353.jpg (Road sign 1)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2354.jpg (Road sign 2)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2355.jpg (One way)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2356.jpg (Hand)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2357.jpg (Warning)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2358.jpg (Eye)
http://www.eudora.com/download/ (where all go when clicked)

To suppress ads from appearing at all in Sponsored mode,
close Eudora and delete everything below the .../EudPriv/Ads folder
(including the "AdCache" folder), then create an empty text file
and rename the latter to "AdCache" (*not* "AdCache.txt");
the "Ad" window will thereafter be blank, and may be un-docked
and moved so far down that it will completely vanish
behind the Windows task bar, in most cases,
with no complaint whatsoever about "covering the ad window."

An elsewhere-posted command script also does this same thing.

"Ad-free at last!" [Alfred E Neuman]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

-[ ]-
From: sf on
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:03:06 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:44:35 -0600, <sf> wrote:
>
>> I have Eudora 7+ and the sponsored window
>> has been "dead" for a couple of days.
>
>Thanks for confirming that you don't receive them, either.
>
>> Does anyone know why it happened and/or what can I do about it?
>
>It's supposed to happen, because Qualcomm
>is no longer selling ads,
>and has predicted since last October
>that they were going to stop:
>http://www.eudora.com/faq/#Sponsored

Thanks for the link! I wonder why they didn't post it in their ad
window? I see they are moving Eudora to open source.... so will this
ng stay alive and talk about new open source builds? I hope it
doesn't get too complicated. I like it as it is now.... maybe small
things could be improved, but I'm so ignorant about those things I
don't have a clue. What I don't want is for it to become bloat ware
that tries to be all things to all people the way Fort� Agent has
become.

<snip>
>> My only need is to get the ads back in the "sponsored by" window
>> so I can continue using Eudora in sponsored mode.
>
>You can continue using Eudora "in perpetuity," as Qualcomm says,
>because receipt of the ads is no longer necessary; Windows
>Eudora version 7.1.0.9 and Mac version 6.2.4 no longer care
>whether or not ads are received (this was set up long
>ahead of time, so that Eudora could be used "forever"
>without further user action of any kind).

Great! I won't complain. I just didn't want them to start nagging me
about covering the ad screen when I'm not at fault.

>If you review this entire thread, you will see various
>additional options you can take, none of which are necessary;
>you can toss the "blank" Ad window away, if you like
>(or leave it, it doesn't matter to Eudora),

I'll pass. Thanks for the synopsis.... How do I "toss" the ad window?

>or do something else that could be slightly controversial,
>but no matter what you do, all will continue to go well,
>except for the lack of interesting ads -- if you miss those,
>just install some "Adware," and you'll be bombarded
>with more ads than you could ever even look at,
>even if it were your full-time job :)

Maybe I got better ads than you did. I had ads for books that I'd
actually read myself or buy for kids. In any case, I regarded the ad
window as a necessary evil, but clicked on it every now and then to
let Qualcomm know I appreciated using Eurora for free.

Thanks for the information.

--
See return address to reply by email
From: sf on
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 08:26:59 -0700, Luke <luke(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:55:27 -0600, "John H Meyers"
><jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:39:37 -0600, Luke wrote:
>>
>>[after making the Ad window "float in main window"
>>(but out of sight) via an edit of Eudora.ini]
>>
>>> No way in Eudora to permanently remove the dread "e"?
>>
>>You could turn off Eudora's "MDI task bar" :)
>[snip]
>
>I like the task bar, but detest the "e", so it's back to pushing the
>old ad window mostly out of sight in a corner. A tiny annoyance now
>the ads are gone from the window and toolbar :-). Thanks for your
>help.
>
>>I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,
>>seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
>>still has an interest in this arcane issue.
>
>No, haven't done that. Have you?

What is this E you're talking about and what is the MDI task bar?

--
See return address to reply by email
From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:36:16 -0600, <sf> wrote:

>> you can toss the "blank" Ad window away, if you like
>> (or leave it, it doesn't matter to Eudora)

> How do I "toss" the ad window?

Right-click the (now grey and ad-less) ad window,
un-check "Allow docking," then left-click its top bar
and drag it down to the very bottom of the screen,
where it will usually completely vanish
under the Windows task bar.

At the start of new Eudora sessions, the ad window
may poke its head up slightly; you can drag it back down again
and leave it there for the entire session -- there will be
no messages about the ad window being "covered"
when there is no ad displaying at all
(this applies to all versions, even pre-7.1,
but old versions are still displaying Qualcomm's
"ads" about upgrading, so those versions would still complain
about covering Qualcomm's ads, until even those disappear).

You can immediately suppress both ads and "reverting to Light,"
even for older versions in Sponsored mode,
by using the posted command file,
if your operating system, IMAP server, or personal preference
persuades you to not install "final" version 7.1

Replacing the "AdCache" folder with a file
also suppresses Qualcomm's ads from displaying on pre-7.1,
and periodically deleting all other files
from the "Ads" folder erases Eudora's memory
of how long it's been unable to download any new ads
(if that were to go on for at least a couple of weeks,
then Eudora would go back to Light mode, although you
could change right back to Sponsored anyway, so big deal :)

The purpose of the command script is to automate all of this,
so that pre-7.1 versions can continue ad-less forever.

-[ ]-
From: Jon Purkey on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:14:16 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>o Click in the Ad window and un-check "Allow docking"
>
>o Drag the Ad window (by its top bar) all the way down
> until it completely disappears behind your Windows Task Bar.
>
>This alone may make you happy, in which case stop here;
>each time Eudora starts up, the very top of the Ad window
>may "nudge upwards" a bit, but you can just drag it right down
>at any time, and keep it totally vanished.

Thanks. After getting a warning today I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1 and
have now done the above. Will I get any more warnings from Eudora? If
I move the ad window onscreen I see that it is not displaying anything
other than the Eudora logo. Haven't seen any ads for several days.

When Eudora starts the ad windows is in the lower right corner, only
covering part of the "NUM" whatever that's for. (Been using Eudora for
years and have never bothered to look up what the NUM is for.)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Eudora on Vista
Next: Eudora / MSGTAG Problem