From: measekite on
THIS IS HARD TO BELIEVE

From: measekite on
CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS. THIS MUST BE A PUT ON.

From: Mary on
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> "Mary" <nonon(a)nothin.com> wrote in message
> > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Zak, I was able to reset the ip1500 last night using keystrokes you
gave
> > me from a message you posted on Apr. 11 (see below). I was shocked
that
> > it worked, now that it doesn't matter and I didn't really want it
to. I
> > didn't think it would
> > work as I had tried the keystrokes you posted on Apr. 4 which were a
bit
> > different because they involved the RESUME button..
> >
> (snip).
> >
> > Mary
> >
> Congratulations, Mary! You are now a full fledged printer repair
person.

And ready to hang out my shingle :) Actually, it was so easy that I
didn't expect it to work after struggling with many frustrating
attempts.I was pretty surprised.Maybe it was because I wasn't really
trying.

> What you've described is typical of so many things about computers.
> Everything has to be done right, down to the period, comma, space,
etc, or
> the fix doesn't work. Just the simple act of releasing the power
button
> before you plugged in the cable didn't permit the reset to work.

You are so right about that. So many things about computers have to be
very detailed, and if one small thing is missed, it doesn't work. In mhy
view part of the instructions were not completely clear and could have
used a bit more explanation to make things perfectly clear for slow
people like me. After where it said 2. PRESS and HOLD the POWER button,
turn on the computer"
I would have got it right the first time if for example, it had said 2.
PRESS and HOLD the POWER button, and "3.plug the power cord back into
the computer while still keeping your finger on the Power button", would
have been more detailed and made more sense to me. I don't think its
just me either as on the forum on the URL which Zak posted for
fixyourcomputer or whatever it was, many people couldnt get the reset
quite right and I bet some of it was because of doing what I did and
missing a crucial part of the steps.

> Getting
> the refurb will undoubtedly be OK, especially because Staples will
extend
> the warranty to the replacement unit. Your original one would have
> continued to work just fine as the "ink waste tank full" warning
doesn't
> mean that you had a gallon of liquid in the base of your printer!
Nothing
> to fix, really, as people who have reset their printers once and not
> replaced the pad haven't had ink slosh out of the printer.

But the point still is, its unpredictable whether the waste ink would
get full or not.

>If could see the
> pad, you would probably just see some dried ink residue - more
concentrated
> at the ends and mostly under the place where the head parks itself and
the
> head cleaning is done.

That could be true, but the fact that it has this message makes it more
likely that it could end up saying the absorber is full. Even though the
printer is reset and the error message may not appear any more, the
problem is still there and how long it will last before it could be
disabled is unpredictable. It may last 1 day and may last 2 years. But
if I had been able to reset it before arranging for the refurb one, I
might have just kept my own printer as I know everything works and the
refurb one, I don't know. But anyway, I will get the refurb one and hope
it works for a while.
By the way, is it difficult to get at waste absorber pads? I just see
one big silver screw at the left side when I open the printer cover.
Maybe if I could have unscrewed that, the long plastic part with the
waste pads under it, might have come off fairly easy and I could have
cleaned the pads myself. I am not going to do that now because no point,
but just wondered if there is just one screw to loosen to get into the
pads, or is it more complicated than that?

Mary

From: Mary on

> Burt wrote:
> > "Mary" <nonon(a)nothin.com> wrote in message
> > > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Zak, I was able to reset the ip1500 last night using keystrokes
you gave
> > > me from a message you posted on Apr. 11 (see below). I was shocked
that
> > > it worked, now that it doesn't matter and I didn't really want it
to. I
> > > didn't think it would
> > > work as I had tried the keystrokes you posted on Apr. 4 which were
a bit
> > > different because they involved the RESUME button..

> But yes, congrats. That's the trouble with troubleshooting, you must
> begin with having no clue and try things in an orderly fashion and
> eventually you get it.

Yes,its like elimination and trial and error and now that I got it, its
too late. Well not too late, but I might have kept my own printer if I
had gotten it reset before, but if I get the refurb one, at least it
should have no waste ink problems at all and mine obvious does. Exactly
how bad it is, no way to know, but the problem is there.

>Now youll get a new printer which might by any
> one of three reset procedures which you don't have to worry about for
> many moons.

At least I will know if this ever happens again, but I hope it doesn't
as I wouldn't say its exactly a good sign. Resetting is fine, but you
don't know when or if the problem will get worse.

>And you can feel no shame in accepting a replacement as
> they don't actually tell the users how to peform any service what so
> ever, and average joe user without the magic sequence of pokes would
be
> printerless without shelling out the bucks for service which tends to
> cost about the same as a cheepo printer.

You lost me here!. I don't get the connection with my getting a refurb
printer and them not telling users hwo to perform any service? why would
I need to know about service for a refurb printer?

Mary

From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> But yes, congrats. That's the trouble with troubleshooting, you must
> begin with having no clue and try things in an orderly fashion and
> eventually you get it. Now youll get a new printer which might by any
> one of three reset procedures which you don't have to worry about for
> many moons.

It was due to your messages and the link you gave me which I read last
night that led me to the reset. I was working my way back on messages
when I saw your earlier messages with the keystroke steps that gave me
the information to try the reset. I didn't think it would work and thats
why I tried it . :) So thanks (I think) even just for the fact that I
finally figured it out.

Mary