From: Mary on
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> >> Because the newest pixma printers have carts with
> >> computer chips and currently present a problem with refilling, I
> >> bought an extra ip5000 on the same sale and put it away as a
spare.

> > If there is a problem refilling the newest Pixma printers, how do
you
> > manage to refill them? and how does buying an extra printer help?
> > doesn't the carts on it have a refillling problem too?
>
> The ip5000 is from the previous generation of printers (like the
ip1500,
> ip4000, etc). The carts are the ones Zakezuke and I have been telling
you
> about. No chips and easy to refill. It uses the same five carts as
the
> ip4000 you were considering buying, but it had a more advanced
printhead
> with smaller jets to produce better photo prints.

I see what you mean. I thought the ip5000 was one of the newer Pixma
printers you were referring to that had a chip in the carts..

Mary

From: Burt on

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message

> spare.
>> >
>> > If there is a problem refilling the newest Pixma printers, how do
> you
>> > manage to refill them? and how does buying an extra printer help?
>> > doesn't the carts on it have a refillling problem too?
>>
>> The ip5000 is from the previous generation of printers (like the
> ip1500,
>> ip4000, etc). The carts are the ones Zakezuke and I have been telling
> you
>> about. No chips and easy to refill. It uses the same five carts as
> the
>> ip4000 you were considering buying, but it had a more advanced
> printhead
>> with smaller jets to produce better photo prints.
>
> I see what you mean. I thought the ip5000 was one of the newer Pixma
> printers you were referring to that had a chip in the carts..
>
> Mary

I bought the spare as a hedge against the possibility that aftermarket
vendors might be prevented from developing compatable carts in the near
future. It was cheaper than having to buy a few sets of OEM backup carts
for the ip4200 or ip5200.

From: Mary on

> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message

> > spare.

> > you
> >>
> >> The ip5000 is from the previous generation of printers (like the
> > ip1500,
> >> ip4000, etc). The carts are the ones Zakezuke and I have been
telling
> > you
> >> about. No chips and easy to refill. It uses the same five carts
as
> > the
> >> ip4000 you were considering buying, but it had a more advanced
> > printhead
> >> with smaller jets to produce better photo prints.
> >
> > I see what you mean. I thought the ip5000 was one of the newer Pixma
> > printers you were referring to that had a chip in the carts..
> >
> > Mary
>
> I bought the spare as a hedge against the possibility that aftermarket
> vendors might be prevented from developing compatable carts in the
near
> future. It was cheaper than having to buy a few sets of OEM backup
carts
> for the ip4200 or ip5200.

You are looking ahead which isn't a bad idea. Do you think that it could
happen that aftermarket vendors might be prevented from developing
compatible carts? I wouldn't think so. Staples and to a less degree
Future shop have been selling compatibles for a few years.
Yes, the ip4200 OEM carts are quite expensive. Since they have a chip in
the carts, are they easily refilled by a refiller even though they have
a chip? They might come out with compatibles eventually though hard to
tell when. When I had the Epson C64 I waited for it to come out with
compatibles but it never did. I notice C64 is on the list of Epson
printers for the class action suit, but thats only for the US so no
other countries would have a claim which is too bad as its the same
printer with the same problem, but I guess different countries would
need different lawsuits. My daughter has the C62 and it has
compatibles - it was tricolor. They always complain like I did, that the
Epson ink runs out very fast. Remember I said that about mine and thats
what put me against individual tanks?.

Mary

From: Burt on

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
(snip)

> You are looking ahead which isn't a bad idea. Do you think that it could
> happen that aftermarket vendors might be prevented from developing
> compatible carts? I wouldn't think so. Staples and to a less degree
> Future shop have been selling compatibles for a few years.
> Yes, the ip4200 OEM carts are quite expensive. Since they have a chip in
> the carts, are they easily refilled by a refiller even though they have
> a chip? They might come out with compatibles eventually though hard to
> tell when. When I had the Epson C64 I waited for it to come out with
> compatibles but it never did. I notice C64 is on the list of Epson
> printers for the class action suit, but thats only for the US so no
> other countries would have a claim which is too bad as its the same
> printer with the same problem, but I guess different countries would
> need different lawsuits. My daughter has the C62 and it has
> compatibles - it was tricolor. They always complain like I did, that the
> Epson ink runs out very fast. Remember I said that about mine and thats
> what put me against individual tanks?.
>
> Mary

From what I've read, the coding on the Canon cart chip is very complex.
Simply duplicating it would undoubtedly be a patent infringement, so somone
would have to create a compatable cart/chip combination that didn't violate
patent laws but would function the same as the Canon OEM cart. Epson sued
and won a similar suit against some aftermarket cart manufacturers. The new
carts can be refilled just like the older ones. The printer, however,
recognizes that the cart had been in the printer and used until empty. The
printer would then send you messages with a dire warning that continuing to
use the cart could cause damage, etc. Just as there are "chip resetters"
for the Epson chipped carts to make them read full again after they are
emptied (so they can be refilled and used in the printer), someone will
probably come up with a similar device for the Canons. Unless someone can
develop a compatable cart, however, you would have to buy a set of OEM Canon
carts as your backup. Typically, when you refill carts you keep a full
backup set and rotate them. When one is empty you replace it with the
backup cart and then refill the one that became empty when you have time.
This way you don't unterrupt your printing session to refill a cart. It is
more efficient to fill several at a time anyway. Since I have a few dozen
carts and a supply if ink for my i960 and ip5000 it made sense to buy a
backup printer when the price dropped to a little more than the cost of a
set of carts.

From: Mary on

> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> (snip)
> >
> > You are looking ahead which isn't a bad idea. Do you think that it
could
> > happen that aftermarket vendors might be prevented from developing
> > compatible carts? I wouldn't think so. Staples and to a less degree
> > Future shop have been selling compatibles for a few years.
> > Yes, the ip4200 OEM carts are quite expensive. Since they have a
chip in
> > the carts, are they easily refilled by a refiller even though they
have
> > a chip? They might come out with compatibles eventually though hard
> > tell when. When I had the Epson C64 I waited for it to come out with
> > compatibles but it never did. I notice C64 is on the list of Epson
> > printers for the class action suit, but thats only for the US so no
> > other countries would have a claim which is too bad as its the same
> > printer with the same problem, but I guess different countries would
> > need different lawsuits. My daughter has the C62 and it has
> > compatibles - it was tricolor. They always complain like I did, that
the
> > Epson ink runs out very fast. Remember I said that about mine and
thats
> > what put me against individual tanks?.
> >
> > Mary
> >
> From what I've read, the coding on the Canon cart chip is very
complex.
> Simply duplicating it would undoubtedly be a patent infringement, so
somone
> would have to create a compatable cart/chip combination that didn't
violate
> patent laws but would function the same as the Canon OEM cart. Epson
sued
> and won a similar suit against some aftermarket cart manufacturers.

Is the ip4200 the first Canon printer that uses a cart chip?

<The new
> carts can be refilled just like the older ones. The printer, however,
> recognizes that the cart had been in the printer and used until empty.
The
> printer would then send you messages with a dire warning that
continuing to
> use the cart could cause damage, etc. Just as there are "chip
resetters"
> for the Epson chipped carts to make them read full again after they
are
> emptied (so they can be refilled and used in the printer), someone
will
> probably come up with a similar device for the Canons. Unless someone
can
> develop a compatable cart, however, you would have to buy a set of OEM
Canon
> carts as your backup.

So for now, the ip4200 can't be refilled by a refiller company such as
Island Jet? and no compatibles either? How long approcimately after a
printer comes out do compatibles appear in stores?