From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Mary wrote:
>>

>>>I thought you knew I always buy Staples compatibles for my ip1500
>>>

>and
>

>>>always have, except for one time not long ago when I had the color
>>>problem on my photos, I tried Canon brand but the problem was still
>>>there with the colors. It was only an experiment to try Canon.
>>>Staples brand was fine for the whole year then the printhead didn't
>>>

>work
>

>>>properly and not long after that, the ink waste absorber pads went.
>>>

>>I know you buy staples, I know nothing about staples ink.

>totally

>that

>under

>and
>

>>>not

>I wouldn't know anything about Staples ink in that regard.

I THINK YOU DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT INK IN ANY REGARD. YOUR
STATEMENTS ARE SIMPLY LUDICROUS

From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > I see what you mean about Yanks want the parts (the tray I guess) I
> > didn't know there was such a tray. You mean the feature is disabled
in
> > the US but not Canada, but you said North America which is Canada
and
> > the US and Mexico, but we in Canada usually think of North America
as
> > Canada and the US. What has Phillips to do with anything? Do they
make the
> > tray?
>
> Philips owns the patent for CDs. From my understanding Epson shells
> money their way to print on CDs.
>
> The feature is disabled in North America, as in USA Mexico, Canada.
> South America too from my understanding. this gent, Golgota in Peru
> for example didn't have the feature enabled on his.

If the feature is disabled on printers in all of North America (US,
Canada,Mexico), how can you use it no matter where you got the parts?

> Near as I'm aware it's an American thing, but the feature is disabled
> on all printers shipped near America including Peru.
>
> > The photos I print on my ip1500 seem OK. I thought all black carts
were
> > the same so didn't consider if another black would be better or not.
As
> > far as I know, when you print color photos, there is always some
black
> > in them, but unless I had a 4000 or 4200 with the large darker black
> > compare the ip1500 with, I wouldn't know if the 4000 or 4200 photos
> > looked any better or not.
>
> It's not a darker black, it's a dye black. Near as I'm aware the
> ip1500 does not print photos with black, it mixes cyan maganta and
> yellow to make black. Otherwise you would have a patch of black that
> looks flat on your semi-gloss paper. Like black construction paper.

I always thought black was used for color photo printing even if theres
no black on the photo that you can see.

> In the most simple terms possible, tripple the ink is used to make
> black. Not a problem on photo paper. Matte paper gets somewhat soggy
> but it does dry, but saying plain paper it uses the pigment black, and
> solves the soggy problem.
>
> But if you never noticed a muddy black where it should be black, then
> what you are using, the staples ink, should be just spiffy.

I checked some of my indoor photos as thats the ones I printed most, and
a couple of people are wearing black in the photo and the black looks
ok. In some indoor photos I took, there is no black or at least none I
can see.

<snip>

> Again, the condition the dye black gets used is when the blackness is
> 80% or higher. Only under this conditioon would these two printers
> print differently. This offers an edge in photos, perhaps some detail
> to black as it's using 1/3 the volume as mixing three colors.
>
> But the fact remains... it's the only printer I can see that you can
> buy in Canada which takes large Staples tanks. Assuming $7.00 a pop
for
> a thimble sized tank, that would be $20.00 in a big black tank
assuming
> 2.9x. The staples big black is $12.72 each, a savings of 37%.

ip 3000/ ip4000 ?

Just a thought. If I bought a new printer (anysay its been sitting
around in a store or warehouse for a year or so, or you don't know how
long its been sitting), would the carts in the printer be dried up? If
you have two printers, and you used one most of the time, wouldn't you
need to use your "backup printer" at least once a week to keep the ink
flowing properly?

> And you have an ip1500 with a perfectly good head which would likely
> fetch a few bucks in the used circuit. And you can be honest about
> it... "I bought a printer where the ink is cheaper, but you can't get
> my printer anymore. They don't make this one either, and it takes
> staples compatables".

Thats if I got a new printer now, and don't open the new printhead or
use the refurb printer.

Mary

From: measekite on
2 DOOZIES

ANYYWAY ANOTHER ONE OF MY CLIENTS BOUGHT A CANON PRINTER AND 2 SETS OF
CANON CARTS. WHEN HE ASKED ABOUT AFTERMARKET INK I SENT HIM TO THIS NG
AND HE READ MANY POSTS LIKE THIS AND HE QUICKLY GOT DA MESSAGE.

From: zakezuke on
Mary wrote:

> > The feature is disabled in North America, as in USA Mexico, Canada.
> > South America too from my understanding. this gent, Golgota in Peru
> > for example didn't have the feature enabled on his.
>
> If the feature is disabled on printers in all of North America (US,
> Canada,Mexico), how can you use it no matter where you got the parts?

You enable the feature. Your ip1500 for example had a setting for
destination... in your case Japan or not Japan. The ip3000/4000/5000
etc etc etc have a setting for a few countries. Set the printer to
Europe for example, and CD printing is enabled. This info is in the
service manual.

The part is nothing more than a plastic tray about 2.8mm or so with a
couple of alignment reflectors. This is something you can make from a
cerial box, or buy on E-bay, or even perhaps from Canon Canada's parts
department.

Now, I think Canon is missing a bet here. They didn't want to pay the
license fee for Phillips for all of their printers yet there are users
willing to shell out US$20 a pop for these trays. They could easily
sell the software that would enable the feature and the tray, this
would be most trivial. But for whatever reason they prefer doing it
this way, probally because they get to add a feature at no extra cost.

> I always thought black was used for color photo printing even if theres
> no black on the photo that you can see.

>From my understanding, "black" is only used when a given pixel is
actually black, and even then if it's 80% black or higher. Greys are
done in color.

> I checked some of my indoor photos as thats the ones I printed most, and
> a couple of people are wearing black in the photo and the black looks
> ok. In some indoor photos I took, there is no black or at least none I
> can see.

Then you should be fine. I can't judge stuff i've never met... but if
the ip1500 does OK on the staples ink for photos, and assuming it's the
same ink which it is Image Specalists's ink, it would be fine.

> Just a thought. If I bought a new printer (anysay its been sitting
> around in a store or warehouse for a year or so, or you don't know how
> long its been sitting), would the carts in the printer be dried up? If
> you have two printers, and you used one most of the time, wouldn't you
> need to use your "backup printer" at least once a week to keep the ink
> flowing properly?

The cartridges are sealed in plastic. The big exit hole covered with a
silicone gasket, and a tight seal of plastic around it. Offical shelf
life I believe is 2 years, but i'm not sure. You'd have to ask canon
for their offical number.

If you dont' plan to use the printer for months, it might be wise to
store used tanks in a ziplock bag with a moist towel to prevent drying.
The head can be cleaned with windex and toilet paper, about 6 sheets,
applying firm pressure till you see ink on the screen and pulling
quickly. This will take a while, and you might enjoy just placing the
head in a dish with the toilet paper with windex and allow most of the
ink to flow into the toilet paper. If the printhead has never been
used, not an issue.

The ip3000/4000 have a procedure for cleaning if you've not used it for
a while, the longer the more ink is spewed, up to about a gram for the
big black, 1/3 gram for the color I believe.

> Thats if I got a new printer now, and don't open the new printhead or
> use the refurb printer.

And assuming the prices for the ink are typicaly what you would spend.

> But the fact remains... it's the only printer I can see that you can
> buy in Canada which takes large Staples tanks. Assuming $7.00 a pop
> for a thimble sized tank, that would be $20.00 in a big black tank
>assuming 2.9x. The staples big black is $12.72 each, a savings of 37%.

> ip 3000/ ip4000 ?

The ip4000 takes the same ink, and uses it much in the same way, except
it has that extra black, which it uses there and abouts of 1/4 as often
as the color tanks, at least in my case. In one scenero the ip4000
would be lower than the ip3000, in the fact that for blacks it uses 1/3
less volume in ink. On the other hand, cleaning cycles do use the ink
if you don't use the tank. Assuming it's totally wasted add about
Canadian $1.12 per tank cost on the ip3000 to = the ip4000.

You can directly compare the ip1500 and ip3000 as they use the exact
same ink. The ip4000 would certinaly cost less to operate if you were
printing images of gothic churches at night without a flash, and even
then the black only kicks in if it's actually black, 80% black. But in
contrast to what you got, assuming $7 and $21 for the ip1500, expect
the ip3000 to cost less by 30% to 40% and comes with the equlivent of
$100.00 in staples compatable ink for your current printer It comes
with the equilivent of $70.98 of OEM ink for the ip3000.

A brief review

1. The ip3000 at $75 costs less from the get go than the ip1500
assuming $7 and $20.96 a tank. If you can buy tanks for $11.57 for the
color and black for $4.64, than the cost would be the same assuming
$12.72 black 3 x $13.46 color at staples. It costs about 4 bucks more
than the name brand ink it comes with.

2. It's got a bigger diaper. Its diaper, assuming it's the same size
as the ip3000 which is likely as the printers are the same size is
1700. 1700=full. I have no idea what this means in terms of grams or
ml but this is a number which you can find out your self with cryptic
button presses. You can have "some" clue as to the condition of the
diaper.

3. It's a printer that folk in this group would know jack about.
While most went ip4000, they are the same case, the head is identical
except for the ink carrier and the ip3000 doesn't use one set of
nozzles.

4. It's not as cool as the ip4000, but you can't get the ip4000.
Investment in this printer costs less than what you would normally
spend in ink for your ip1500, assuming you spend more than $4.64 for
the black, and $11.57 for a tri color, and assuming $12.72 black 3 x
$13.46.

5. You are not spending money on a printer, but rather ink, which
happens to cost less than the ink you would normally buy, if you were
to buy more than you usually do. And it just so happens to come with a
printer, which is better than than what you've got. While i'm sure you
wouldn't nessicarly notice a stellar upgrade in terms of print quality,
it does have a bigger head, and more memory for dithering. It would be
an improvement.... that'll have less long term costs. It'll be faster
too, have extra trays... for example plain paper in the bottom, photo
paper in the top, spiffy covers which you can flip down to prevent dust
from getting in there.

6.. Your referb ip1500 you can sell for a percent of the cost of the
ip3000, and say to the buyer in all honesty "I bought something that
costs 35% less to operate, but you can't buy it anymore, you can't buy
this one anymore either. Takes staples compatables". You upgrade, you
lower costs, and you do someone else a favor.

From: Mary on
Zak, I'm a bit behind in posts now so didn't get a chance to reply to
this message.

> Mary wrote:
>
> > > The feature is disabled in North America, as in USA Mexico,
Canada.
> > > South America too from my understanding. this gent, Golgota in
Peru
> > > for example didn't have the feature enabled on his.
> >
> > If the feature is disabled on printers in all of North America (US,
> > Canada,Mexico), how can you use it no matter where you got the
parts?

> You enable the feature. Your ip1500 for example had a setting for
> destination... in your case Japan or not Japan. The ip3000/4000/5000
> etc etc etc have a setting for a few countries. Set the printer to
> Europe for example, and CD printing is enabled. This info is in the
> service manual.

There is no setting on ip1500 for any other countries, or I can't see
anything about that. Just in the iptool menu and though it said Japan
and Europe, it didn't matter what I said, it was still in English.

I got the refurb ip1500 yesterday sent from Canon. I would have got it
on Wednesday, but Puralator won't deliver to apt. buildings if the
sender does not have your access code for the apt.. The access code is
listed
for everybody in my apt. lobby, but the Puralator guy doesn't have 10
seconds to
push a button so he left even though I was sitting waiting for him.
I had to make a re-delivery appointment They deliver from 8 a.m. to 5
pm,
so you have to stay home till they come. Thats why I don't get anything
delivered
by courier. Its a hassle. Post is more popular and cheaper anyway and
they
leave a card in your mailbox to say they were there. I have to deal with
Puralator
one more time on and phone them on Monday so I will have to stay in
again another
day next week, for the pickup.

The refurb 1500 seems to work ok except for one thing. -The
status monitor which tells you how much ink is left in the cartridges
doesn't seem to work. The color and the black carts, stay looking like
they are full, but I know they are not. I had to change the black ink
cart today and it still showed full even when it was low and again
when it needed replaced. I checked in printer properties in Maintenance
where you set you want low ink warning and it has a checkmark,
and so does "show ink status". It was ok on my previous
ip1500. It doesn't matter much if you are only printing one or two
pages, but if you are printing a bunch, and the ink cart runs out, you
wouldn't know in advance, so thats not too convenient.I can't think of
anything that would fix the problem. I might just be stuck with it.

I don't know about the other printer you gave me the URL for. I don't
particularly like the store who has it and had a bad experience with
them. They have changed names, but have the same products and policies.
One time I took something back after a couple of weeks - I think it was
cordless phone which didn't work properly. I said I wanted my money back
and they made a big fuss and said the phone worked ok at their store. It
ended
up that they said I would have to pay a 5% restocking fee which I just
paid to
get finished with them. They are not like dealing with Staples or Future
shop or
Best buy. If it had been one of those stores, I might have got it. I
phoned one store a half hour drive from me, and they said those the
printers are display models which have been on the shelf for a while-
none are new in a box.. Most were sold out when you found the URL.

I guess I will just keep the refurb ip1500 I got from Canon and hope it
lasts for a while. I printed
a few photos this afternoon and the pink cast I was getting with my
other printer, is gone now and photos look fine. I had to put in the new
print head of course.

Maybe in a few months I will see something else I want to buy not the
ip4200 unless it gets Staples compatibles. The ip4200 is on sale $20.00
off this week but that doesn't tempt me to buy.

Mary