From: zakezuke on
>And you can feel no shame in accepting a replacement as
> they don't actually tell the users how to peform any service what so
> ever, and average joe user without the magic sequence of pokes would
> be
> printerless without shelling out the bucks for service which tends to
> cost about the same as a cheepo printer.

> You lost me here!. I don't get the connection with my getting a refurb
> printer and them not telling users hwo to perform any service? why would
> I need to know about service for a refurb printer?

Printers require routine maintance. But rather than offer a maintance
manual the printers just stop working till someone with the key presses
knows the formula to say ok it's been done, or in most cases... just
print damnit.

The referb printer at somepoint will get a full diaper, well unless the
head goes first, which ever... in that even you either need

1. The service button presses
2. Service which costs more than the printer
3. Another printer

*This* is what I was describing, not giving the user the option to
service the printer them selves. It's as if you had a car that would
not work if you didn't for example change the tranny fluid, or worse
yet, require a special key to change the tranny fluid.

It's the difference between something that is serviceable and
disposable. While technicaly your printer is in the disposable class,
it is serviceable, you just need to know how to tell the printer it's
been serviced, I.e. got a new diaper.

From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >And you can feel no shame in accepting a replacement as
> > they don't actually tell the users how to peform any service what so
> > ever, and average joe user without the magic sequence of pokes would
> > be
> > printerless without shelling out the bucks for service which tends
> > cost about the same as a cheepo printer.
>
> > You lost me here!. I don't get the connection with my getting a
refurb
> > printer and them not telling users hwo to perform any service? why
would
> > I need to know about service for a refurb printer?
>
> Printers require routine maintance. But rather than offer a maintance
> manual the printers just stop working till someone with the key
presses
> knows the formula to say ok it's been done, or in most cases... just
> print damnit.

So you are commenting that I have an advantage by knowing how to reset
the ip1500 so that if it happens again I will know what to do? that
still doesn't help me if the waste tank becomes full and disables the
printer. The end result is I will need another printer.

> The referb printer at somepoint will get a full diaper, well unless
the
> head goes first, which ever... in that even you either need
>
> 1. The service button presses
> 2. Service which costs more than the printer
> 3. Another printer

In that case, I would try resetting, or buy another printer and if I buy
one within a year, it will be under Staples warranty. If over that time,
I will be on my own.

> *This* is what I was describing, not giving the user the option to
> service the printer them selves. It's as if you had a car that would
> not work if you didn't for example change the tranny fluid, or worse
> yet, require a special key to change the tranny fluid.
>
> It's the difference between something that is serviceable and
> disposable. While technicaly your printer is in the disposable class,
> it is serviceable, you just need to know how to tell the printer it's
> been serviced, I.e. got a new diaper.

My present printer is serviceable at this moment, but could become NOT
serviceable at any time since there is now way to know how much ink is
in the waste absorber. And even though its been reset and telling it
that it has a new diaper, that doesn't solve the problem which causes
the error in the first place. Its still there physically. Resetting just
buys you time and you can either wait till it overflows or buy a new
printer, for eventually its going to show full instead of almost full.
Thats my understanding from various people, including the Canon tech. He
said the error will not go away and the printer needs to be replaced as
it will get worse as time goes by.
By the way, I can't see how Canon are making any money on my printer. I
think its costing them by having to supply a new printhead worth $50.00
and having to send a refurb printer and taking back my printer which is
out of production and only someone in my position might need it but most
people just buy new printers and many people just see a printer an dont
think how much carts are and just buy it.

Mary

From: measekite on
YOU MEAN THERE IS MORE. I DO NOT EVEN READ THIS STUFF.

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>"Mary" <nonon(a)nothin.com> wrote in message

>you gave

>that

>to. I

>a bit

>>But yes, congrats. That's the trouble with troubleshooting, you must
>>begin with having no clue and try things in an orderly fashion and
>>eventually you get it.
>>

>Yes,its like elimination and trial and error and now that I got it, its
>too late. Well not too late, but I might have kept my own printer if I
>had gotten it reset before, but if I get the refurb one, at least it
>should have no waste ink problems at all and mine obvious does. Exactly
>how bad it is, no way to know, but the problem is there.
>

>>Now youll get a new printer which might by any
>>one of three reset procedures which you don't have to worry about for
>>many moons.
>>

>At least I will know if this ever happens again, but I hope it doesn't
>as I wouldn't say its exactly a good sign. Resetting is fine, but you
>don't know when or if the problem will get worse.
>

>>And you can feel no shame in accepting a replacement as
>>they don't actually tell the users how to peform any service what so
>>ever, and average joe user without the magic sequence of pokes would
>>

>be
>

>>printerless without shelling out the bucks for service which tends to
>>cost about the same as a cheepo printer.
>>

>You lost me here!.

THAT WOULD BE GOOD. OCD RIDES AGAIN

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>

>>"Mary" <nonon(a)nothin.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Zak, I was able to reset the ip1500 last night using keystrokes you
>>>

>gave
>

>>>me from a message you posted on Apr. 11 (see below). I was shocked
>>>

>that
>

>>>it worked, now that it doesn't matter and I didn't really want it
>>>

>to. I
>

>>>didn't think it would
>>>work as I had tried the keystrokes you posted on Apr. 4 which were a
>>>

>bit
>

>>>different because they involved the RESUME button..
>>>

>>(snip).
>>

>>>Mary
>>>

>>Congratulations, Mary! You are now a full fledged printer repair
>>

>person.
>
>And ready to hang out my shingle :) Actually, it was so easy that I
>didn't expect it to work after struggling with many frustrating
>attempts.I was pretty surprised.Maybe it was because I wasn't really
>trying.

NOW WE CAN POST OTHER ITEMSLIKE WHY CANON INK IS CONSISTENT AND RELIABLE