From: Burt on

"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

(snip)
> But the point still is, its unpredictable whether the waste ink would
> get full or not.
>
> That could be true, but the fact that it has this message makes it more
> likely that it could end up saying the absorber is full. Even though the
> printer is reset and the error message may not appear any more, the
> problem is still there and how long it will last before it could be
> disabled is unpredictable. It may last 1 day and may last 2 years.

Mary - that's not how it works. When you do the reset it thinks you changed
the pad (it doesn't know that anyone but a technician knows how to do it) so
it's like starting all over again. Again, from what I've read, it is very
conservative and will permit at least one reset like this without any
problem at all. The warning you got is followed in a while by a notice that
the pad is full and the printer stops functioning. Canon does this way
before there is enough ink to spill out, even if you turned the printer
upside down.

Each model printer has its own construction detail and the instruction on
disassembly for each is different. Some are easier than others and I don't
know how the ip1500 comes apart. There are little plastic fasteners on most
models. You see a slot that you insert an instrument into to release the
catch. The pad lies at the bottom of the printer. Unfortunately, the
manufacturers don't make it readily accessable for user maintenance.
Probably because it is a mess to remove and replace and most people would be
very unhappy to get clothes, carpets, cabinets, etc stained with ink.
Having refilled my carts for almost two years, I'm not particularly
concerned about tearing into one of these units, but I would still do one
reset without changing the pad and not worry a bit about it. My wife had a
BJC3000 printer that was still functioning for her needs but wasn't printing
photos well. I replaced it for her with an ip5000. I tried to open that
printer in a non-destructive way to see how one would change a waste ink
pad. Ultimately I just tore it apart to see what the pad area looked like.
It was OK as I wasn't interested in keeping the printer, so it was a
learning experience.

From: zakezuke on

Mary wrote:

> > 1. The service button presses
> > 2. Service which costs more than the printer
> > 3. Another printer
>
> In that case, I would try resetting, or buy another printer and if I buy
> one within a year, it will be under Staples warranty. If over that time,
> I will be on my own.

Exactly my point... because the info was shared with you, without that
info these printers are designed to become paperweights.

> > *This* is what I was describing, not giving the user the option to
> And even though its been reset and telling it
> that it has a new diaper, that doesn't solve the problem which causes
> the error in the first place. Its still there physically. Resetting just
> buys you time and you can either wait till it overflows or buy a new
> printer, for eventually its going to show full instead of almost full.

Yes, I don't know how to tell the printer to print off it's diaper
count, nor would I know what that count is.

On the ip4000 it's 1700. Displaying the inkcount is either the first
option upon entry into serivce mode, or the second... i.e. resume twice
then power.

> Thats my understanding from various people, including the Canon tech. He
> said the error will not go away and the printer needs to be replaced as
> it will get worse as time goes by.
> By the way, I can't see how Canon are making any money on my printer. I
> think its costing them by having to supply a new printhead worth $50.00
> and having to send a refurb printer and taking back my printer which is
> out of production and only someone in my position might need it but most
> people just buy new printers and many people just see a printer an dont
> think how much carts are and just buy it.

Well, keep in mind that the printhead isn't nessicarly worth the
pricetag you paid for it. They do cost less in Japan, as does the ink,
so the $50 is likely to be somewhat inflated. They are a mass produced
thermal technology while not cheap, isn't an epson. But you are
right there is no chance in hell they are making money from the
printer, even taking into acount that these buget models are made from
surplus parts. They make money from the ink. They make buckets
barells of ink, and make bucks of money selling a few ml for ten bucks.
Lexmark is among the worse, were the black ink can cost 1/3 the price
of gold by weight.

Given a semi decent lifetime is about 10 cartridge changes on a given
printer, given also that it costs you $40 for black and color, that's
$400 bucks. I don't know their cost to produce the head, but that head
means they are going to get $40 on their ink, which costs squat to
produce.

From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Mary wrote:
> > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > at
> > always
> > foods
> > >
> > > Yes, pop, east cost N. America tends to prefer pop, west cost N.
> > > America tends to prefer soda. There was a map at one point
showing
> > > what cities used soda, pop, or soda-pop.
> >
> > A map about something like that? Only in America :)
>
> I can't find the really good one I saw that included Canada
> http://www.popvssoda.com/

I checked that out and did the small survey which was available to the
US and Canada people. The colored map was only of the US though and
didn't include Canada. The chart included all provinces in Canada which
said pop. I don't think many people in Canada say soda but quite a few
in the US.

> I got into the soda habbit when I was in West Virgina and asked the
> clerk where is your pop, and he said he's dead.

Very funny! - is that really true?

> > This morning they listed Staples compatibles for the ip1500 but no
sign
> > of the $3.44 for two that was there yesterday, but there were
Staples
> > compatibles listed for the ip1500, but this afternoon, there was no
> > Staples compatibles listed. Only Canons.
>
> Search for bci-24bk, or Sic-24. Still there. Item # 520491

I've never tried doing a search for just one cart. I do a search for the
page where all available carts are for ip1500 and come to the page
below, which
usually shows all carts that will fit BCI 24 including Canon and Staples
carts so that they are all in the one area. Thats how it was before and
how it is on Staples US site. I do a search for the ip1500 carts. This
is where I usually end up:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_class.asp?CatIds=89%2C480%2C483,1743&name=MD%5FCanon%5FiP1500&

As you can see, there are only Canons carts, which was how it was this
morning too, but last night the Canon and Staples carts were both on the
same page as usual,obviously somebody on Staples website is
changing things around. Its very mixed up now with carts all in
different places.
I don't know what they are doing but I hope they get it fixed soon.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=520491&affixedcode=WW

Thats the search page for only the BCU 24 Bk that you did, so if you do
things the way I always have done them by searching for the ip1500
carts, you only see the Canon carts. So I don't know how you can do a
search now to find the Canon and the staples cars all on one page like
it was before. Most times if I am on the Staples site, I am looking to
see all the carts for a particular printer, not just one.

> In fact the color is listed as $15.56 for a two pack, rather than
> $20.96 for a one pack.
> Item # 512750 and marked with a special graphic saying "hot buy"

Its on sale for another few days. I saw it in a Staples flyer I got
yesterday. Usually all Staples carts and all Canon carts are on the same
page when you do a search for ip1500 carts. I like to see them all. When
you a search for ip4000 all the carts are on the one page whether Canon
or Staples, which is not how it is on the ip1500 page. Also I notice on
the ip1500 page, there is a BCI 21 and BCI 6 carts. they are not for
ip1500. I think Staples Ca are setting up their ink pages differently.
They've screwed it up.

> I think you are missing a bet here... as buying a pair is far less
than
> buying one of each.

Yes, I know,but I am not buying any more carts for now. I have quite a
few.

> >. I am wondering if they are phasing out some of them.
>
> Could be.

> > Where do you buy Manzana?
> Mexico.
>
> > When you say you hate the fact that you've got
> > this product, do you mean you buy it in BC?
>
> No, I mean there is this product.

Yes, I know thats what you meant, but where did you mean you can buy it?
In BC? in Seattle? is it a US product? thats what I was asking.

> > Well, 1997 was a very long time ago. Maybe the Future shop you went
> > had its own
> > rules and regulations.
>
> Or perhaps at the time this was their policy... it wasn't one store
but
> rather the offical newspaper circular.

Well, I didn't see the store you mean.I just know I've never had a
problem with FS about prices and got some good deals there.

> >If I asked at the FS here was the
> > regular price was of something on sale, they tell you right away.
>
> That's cool, I like that.

Its like that everywhere here that I know of, so nothing special about
it. Maybe you need to shop where I shop :)

> > The
> > regular price stays the same unless the product has gone down in
price
> > and staying down in price. There are only regular price and sales
price.

> Then you have the oddness of things that are never regular price.

No, that is not the case at all. Products are all regular price in all
stores unless they say they are on sale or the item is a special price
for a time.
When the sale or special is over, its back to regular price again, which
is the regular price when its not on sale.
Eventually after a while just like printers or anything else, they lower
the price to get
rid of some which have maybe not been good sellers, or are discontinued,
so the price goes down from what it was 6 months or a year ago, and
that becomes the new regular price. As far as I know, it is the
same in the US or when I go to Florida thats the way it was. They have
sales for a few days and next time, the price is back to its regular
price. There has to be a regular price in order to create a sale price.
Maybe you need to shop more instead of ordering online all the time.
You go to the store and meet people. Its more interesting.

> > Maybe their price rules have changed since you were there. I've
never
> > even heard of Red tag prices. I got their flyer today in my flyer
bag,
> > which all flyers come in to my building and I checked it closely and
it
> > clearly states their regular price and the sale price, by saying
> > $250.00, and if its on sale, will say in yellow $30.00 or whatever.
>
> Delightful.... I don't know why they were booted out of the States, it
> was very long ago, but issues with fraud if I remember correctly.

Who are we talking about? Are we talking about Future shop? I never said
anything about FS being booted out of the states? I have no idea if
they still
have stores in the States or not.
When you say "fraud" do you mean this? its all I could find on a search:

http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/2224731

But it has nothing to do with FS having commiting fraud. its to do with
fraudelent credit cards that ae not the fault of Best buy or FS.

This is the announcement about Best buy buying FS stores.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=83192&p=IROL-SingleRelease&t=Regular&id=199983&

There are a lot of FS in Toront and two near me. I find FS stores have
better prices and more variety than Best Buy.

None
> of this regular price sale price... just everyday is a sale,
everything
> maked "sale", no regular prices discosed, and percents in the circular
> that never added up.

Thats not Future shop. They do not operate like that and neither do Best
Buy. Their prices are disclosed straight out and sale prices are
disclosed. you must be thinking of some dollar store or something.

> > >This was the Richmond area... a place noted for full
> > toilets built to the origional john crapper specifications.
> >
> > toilet? what full toilets?
>
> Full sized toilets, rather than ecconoflush models. John Crapper
> worked out the exact amount of water required to flush in a sanitary
> fashion, and along comes goverment who says it's now required to sell
> only water efficent models, which almost always results in double
> flushing. One of the few places one can get a full toilet is Richmond
> BC which happens to be below sea level.

Its a dubious reputation -LOL. I think you are just kidding me - not
about the toilets but about Richmond being noted for its toilet. Thats a
new one on me.

> > I've never been to BC - only Ontario and when I've gone on
vacatiion,
> > its been to Florida, or I have a special fondness for New England
> > states, particularly New York state and Adirondacks. I love it there
but
> > haven't been there for years. Never been in Vancouver, or western
US,
> > which is like you going to New York state - 3000 miles - its a very
long
> > way in both our huge countries.
>
> I must admit i've only been as far north as New Jersey on the east
> cost. It is a long drive, days infact. But I imagine CA1 is a nice
> enough road, though I've only been on it for about 500km or so.

Thats a very long way from where you are. its from one end of the
country to the other.
My mother in law lived in Kelso, Washington. She died a few years ago.
She used to live in Toronto and met an American guy after her husband
died. He was visiting Toronto and they got married, both in their late
50's by that time, and she moved to his home in Kelso and always said
how much she likekd it there. Is that anywhere near Seattle?

> > They are not there today. maybe all sold especially if they were
really
> > $3.44. they might not have been that price in the store though. if
you
> > buy on the website you have to pay for delivery unless its over
$50.00
> > for your purchase. same in the US.
>
> I see them, and the color one too with a bold friendly hot deal image
> next to it.

That one and some others are in an area where they never were before, so
I would never have found them if you hadn't told me.

> > If you know what you want, you have to run around a little to get
the
> > idea of what a fair price is for an item, or how can you know?
>
> Hit the website. Though I must admit, this was not an option in
>Mexico as I didn't have a monitor, and shopping for a monitor took 3
days,
> which is funny as the local shop offered monitors but ordering takes 3
> days and I didn't realize no one sold monitors. PCs yes, monitors no.
> Then I could hit the websites, though most venders don't have them.

Did you live in Mexico for a while?

> > When I go
> > to Florida and shop as that is the main shopping I've done in the
US,
> > though I used to go to Buffalo. I love shopping in the US. Haven't
been
> > there for years. They have more variety in many things which is the
best
> > thing,and better prices in some things and its nice to see different
> > things than here. Its very different and a nice change.
>
> But Weetabix is hard to find.

Its not something I eat, but I know what it is. I've never noticed if
they sell it as a regular item in grocery stores here or not. I don't
eat cereal so never look in that area except to get Quaker oats crunchie
cookies.

> > I know if its a good price when I see it for I've usually seen
similar
> > items. It would be good to go to the US right now with our much
higher
> > Canadian dollar than its been for years.
>
> Indeed... stupid American dollar.

Its not only the American dollar. The Canadian dollar is up against most
world currencies such as the UK pound and Japanese yen. It depends on
various financial factors.

> > How else can you know? You can't get everything online though you
can
> > get more than we can due to the much larger number of websites which
> > sell stuff in the US - much larger population makes a big
difference.

> True, in a different town I'd have to drive around and get the names
of
> the shops, or even stop in and ask if they have a website. It's not
> that way with all things... there are surples stores and such I have
> take the time to drive to.

When I shop I know the stores to go to and mainly go to malls where many
stores are. Who needs websites when you have dozens of stores to choose
from in several large malls. I like to see what I'm getting in person,
not a picture on a web site unless its a DVD movie or something that I
know.

> Shopping for a printer I hit the local and mailorder sites. My last
> three printers were bought online, the price was too good to pass up.

If I had seen the printer in a store first and was familiar with it and
knew the price and that is was a good deal, that might be ok.

Mary

From: Mary on

> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >>

> (snip)
> > But the point still is, its unpredictable whether the waste ink
would
> > get full or not.
> >
> > That could be true, but the fact that it has this message makes it
more
> > likely that it could end up saying the absorber is full. Even though
the
> > printer is reset and the error message may not appear any more, the
> > problem is still there and how long it will last before it could be
> > disabled is unpredictable. It may last 1 day and may last 2 years.
>
> Mary - that's not how it works. When you do the reset it thinks you
changed
> the pad (it doesn't know that anyone but a technician knows how to do
it) so
> it's like starting all over again. Again, from what I've read, it is
very
> conservative and will permit at least one reset like this without any
> problem at all. The warning you got is followed in a while by a
notice that
> the pad is full and the printer stops functioning. Canon does this
way
> before there is enough ink to spill out, even if you turned the
printer
> upside down.

If Canon are willing to give me a refurb printer, and they know that my
printer needs resetting, why don't they just repair mine and send mine
back to me? I would rather have had my own printer repaired.
And does that mean if I had been able to reset my printer earlier, I
wouldn't have needed to order the refurb printer? Thats not good. How
long might a printer last after its reset?

> Each model printer has its own construction detail and the instruction
on
> disassembly for each is different. Some are easier than others and I
don't
> know how the ip1500 comes apart. There are little plastic fasteners
on most
> models. You see a slot that you insert an instrument into to release
the
> catch. The pad lies at the bottom of the printer. Unfortunately, the
> manufacturers don't make it readily accessable for user maintenance.

So you can't just use a regular Philips or other regular screwdriver?.
It looks like its a Philips screw, though I didn't try it. Do you need a
special tool that only printer service technicians have?

> Probably because it is a mess to remove and replace and most people
would be
> very unhappy to get clothes, carpets, cabinets, etc stained with ink.
> Having refilled my carts for almost two years, I'm not particularly
> concerned about tearing into one of these units, but I would still do
one
> reset without changing the pad and not worry a bit about it. My wife
had a
> BJC3000 printer that was still functioning for her needs but wasn't
printing
> photos well. I replaced it for her with an ip5000. I tried to open
that
> printer in a non-destructive way to see how one would change a waste
ink
> pad. Ultimately I just tore it apart to see what the pad area looked
like.
> It was OK as I wasn't interested in keeping the printer, so it was a
> learning experience.

Well, if you were not going to keep it... Did your wifes printer have a
message about the ink absorbers being almost full?

Mary

From: Mary on

> Mary wrote:
>
> > > 1. The service button presses
> > > 2. Service which costs more than the printer
> > > 3. Another printer
> >
> > In that case, I would try resetting, or buy another printer and if I
buy
> > one within a year, it will be under Staples warranty. If over that
time,
> > I will be on my own.
>
> Exactly my point... because the info was shared with you, without that
> info these printers are designed to become paperweights.
>
> > > *This* is what I was describing, not giving the user the option to
> > And even though its been reset and telling it
> > that it has a new diaper, that doesn't solve the problem which
causes
> > the error in the first place. Its still there physically. Resetting
just
> > buys you time and you can either wait till it overflows or buy a new
> > printer, for eventually its going to show full instead of almost
full.

> Yes, I don't know how to tell the printer to print off it's diaper
> count, nor would I know what that count is.
>
> On the ip4000 it's 1700. Displaying the inkcount is either the first
> option upon entry into serivce mode, or the second... i.e. resume
twice
> then power.

How do you find the service mode?

> > Thats my understanding from various people, including the Canon
tech. He
> > said the error will not go away and the printer needs to be replaced
as
> > it will get worse as time goes by.
> > By the way, I can't see how Canon are making any money on my
printer. I
> > think its costing them by having to supply a new printhead worth
$50.00
> > and having to send a refurb printer and taking back my printer which
is
> > out of production and only someone in my position might need it but
most
> > people just buy new printers and many people just see a printer an
dont
> > think how much carts are and just buy it.
>
> Well, keep in mind that the printhead isn't nessicarly worth the
> pricetag you paid for it. They do cost less in Japan, as does the
ink,
> so the $50 is likely to be somewhat inflated. They are a mass
produced
> thermal technology while not cheap, isn't an epson. But you are
> right there is no chance in hell they are making money from the
> printer, even taking into acount that these buget models are made from
> surplus parts. They make money from the ink. They make buckets
> barells of ink, and make bucks of money selling a few ml for ten
bucks.

Well, they might not make all that much money on an ip1500 ink. Even
though they are thimbles, the carts are fairly cheap compared to other
printers, as long as you don't print a lot of photos like I did. So they
are losing money by giving me the printhead and a refurb printer.

> Lexmark is among the worse, were the black ink can cost 1/3 the price
> of gold by weight.

Yes, I know not to buy a Lexmark because I heard the ink is very
expensive. I saw a Lexmark printer on Staples for $40.00 recently and
checked out the ink which was very expensive, but if people didn't check
the ink prices, they would get one hell of a shock after they got the
printer and were out of ink. Take back time!

> Given a semi decent lifetime is about 10 cartridge changes on a given
> printer, given also that it costs you $40 for black and color, that's
> $400 bucks. I don't know their cost to produce the head, but that
head
> means they are going to get $40 on their ink, which costs squat to
> produce.

If I had a printer with higher maintenance costs for ink that might be
true, or if I had a 4000 or 4200 which took more carts and had higher
priced ink (especially the 4200), they would make a lot more money on
ink.Canon know I have an extended warranty with Staples and may not buy
a Canon next time. Its all a gamble for them I guess.

Mary