From: zakezuke on
> Well, they might not make all that much money on an ip1500 ink.

The make more money on the ip1500 ink. It costs the end person more
per ml.

> If I had a printer with higher maintenance costs for ink that might be
> true, or if I had a 4000 or 4200 which took more carts and had higher
> priced ink (especially the 4200), they would make a lot more money on
> ink.

The ip4000 and the ip4200 assuming OEM ink costs less per page than the
ip1500 or the ip1600. So assuming a given user prints 500 pages, they
made more money on the ip1500 than the ip4000.

> Canon know I have an extended warranty with Staples and may not buy
> a Canon next time. Its all a gamble for them I guess.

It's always a gamble.. but their customer service is pretty decent.
Odds are people will go back.

> Yes, I know not to buy a Lexmark because I heard the ink is very
> expensive

In some cases $10,000/gal us, vs $2500/gal for the ink for the ip4000.
Assuming OEM.

From: Burt on

"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
(snip).

> So you can't just use a regular Philips or other regular screwdriver?.
> It looks like its a Philips screw, though I didn't try it. Do you need a
> special tool that only printer service technicians have?

No special tools needed. A very thin blade screwdrive is the tool you would
use for the slots I mentioned. That and a phillips screwdriver.

(snip)

> Well, if you were not going to keep it... Did your wifes printer have a
> message about the ink absorbers being almost full?
>
> Mary

I wanted her to occasionally printing photos and the BJC3000 didn't put out
the quality of photo I wanted. The waste ink tank warning had not come up,
but the print quality just didn't come up to the present models. I actually
bought her a Canon i960, just like mine, as it was on a closeout for $100 in
November, 2004. One of the best photo printers in the Canon line. Six color
carts to achieve very smooth color transitions. When my own i960 got
glitchy in January, 2006, I took hers and bought her an ip5000 (four color
carts plus the bci-3ebk cart) as most of her printing is emails and
websites - mostly text printing on plain paper. That printer was also on
closeout for $100. Because the newest pixma printers have carts with
computer chips and currently present a problem with refilling, I bought an
extra ip5000 on the same sale and put it away as a spare. You save so much
money with refilling that it was worthwhile to buy these as I did. The cost
of refilling a bci-6 cart is about $1, more or less. Two sets of refills
and I've paid for the new printer, as compared to buying OEM Canon carts.
That is the most economical approach we've been telling you about.

From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Well, they might not make all that much money on an ip1500 ink.
>
> The make more money on the ip1500 ink. It costs the end person more
> per ml.

Depends on how often you use the printer and how much you print. I was
thinking of my daughter and husband. When they run out of ink on their
Epson C62, they just don't bother to print for a while, then they buys
compatibles. Which reminds me, about that thread to do with Epson class
suit, that involves her C62 and my C64 and remember I told you my Epson
C64 took tons of ink? I was right about that, so that doesn't surprise
me in the least to find out that Epson were doing some fraudulent
practices with their inks.. I constantly had to get it refilled at the
refiller as it had no compatibles and the Epson carts were so expensive.
That was why I got rid of it for the Canon ip1500 I now have. But since
that class suit only applies to people in the US, it won't do me or my
daughter any good. Too bad.

> > If I had a printer with higher maintenance costs for ink that might
be
> > true, or if I had a 4000 or 4200 which took more carts and had
higher
> > priced ink (especially the 4200), they would make a lot more money
on
> > ink.
>
> The ip4000 and the ip4200 assuming OEM ink costs less per page than
the
> ip1500 or the ip1600. So assuming a given user prints 500 pages, they
> made more money on the ip1500 than the ip4000.
>
> > Canon know I have an extended warranty with Staples and may not buy
> > a Canon next time. Its all a gamble for them I guess.
>
> It's always a gamble.. but their customer service is pretty decent.
> Odds are people will go back.

Yes, their Customer service here too seems to be ok, unless I get a dud
refurb printer.

Mary

From: Mary on
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> (snip).
> >
> > So you can't just use a regular Philips or other regular
screwdriver?.
> > It looks like its a Philips screw, though I didn't try it. Do you
need a
> > special tool that only printer service technicians have?
>
> No special tools needed. A very thin blade screwdrive is the tool you
would
> use for the slots I mentioned. That and a phillips screwdriver.

Well, maybe I could have fixed it myself but if I broke something (where
you would take the part off is plastic and doesn't look very strong to
me. The whole printer is plastic in fact) that would be the end of my
Canon and Staples extended warranties.
I was under the impression from various comments that a special tool. is
needed to access the waste ink absorbers, but doesn't sound like it from
what you are saying, but you did mention in a previous message that
some printers are easier to get into than others, and about plastic
fasteners on most models and a slot you insert an instrument into to
release the catch. What kind of instrument? and like you say the
manufacturers don't make it easy for user maintenance. Its good that you
had a printer to experiment on in regartds to seeing the waste ink
absorber parts, so you will have a good idea how difficult it is. What
tools did you use? did you break any parts on the printer? In your
position it didn't matter if you broke something as you were throwing
the printer out, so had nothing to lose. If I broke something, I would
have something to lose.

> (snip)

> Because the newest pixma printers have carts with
> computer chips and currently present a problem with refilling, I
> bought an extra ip5000 on the same sale and put it away as a spare.

If there is a problem refilling the newest Pixma printers, how do you
manage to refill them? and how does buying an extra printer help?
doesn't the carts on it have a refillling problem too?

> You save so
>much money with refilling that it was worthwhile to buy these as I did.
> The cost of refilling a bci-6 cart is about $1, more or less. Two
sets of
>refills and I've paid for the new printer, as compared to buying OEM
Canon
> carts. That is the most economical approach we've been telling you
about.

I get the impression that you do a lot of printing?

Mary

From: Burt on

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Because the newest pixma printers have carts with
>> computer chips and currently present a problem with refilling, I
>> bought an extra ip5000 on the same sale and put it away as a spare.
>
> If there is a problem refilling the newest Pixma printers, how do you
> manage to refill them? and how does buying an extra printer help?
> doesn't the carts on it have a refillling problem too?

The ip5000 is from the previous generation of printers (like the ip1500,
ip4000, etc). The carts are the ones Zakezuke and I have been telling you
about. No chips and easy to refill. It uses the same five carts as the
ip4000 you were considering buying, but it had a more advanced printhead
with smaller jets to produce better photo prints.
..

> I get the impression that you do a lot of printing?
>
> Mary

In spurts. Sometimes a lot and sometimes almost not at all. I also have a
laser printer for text printing and use my i960 exclusively for photos and
color graphics.