From: Paul J Gans on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> Well now, that is good advice.
>>
>> Do I have to tell the developers?

>As a matter of fact, yes. They would love to get ANY feedback, so also
>positive feedback or just a tank you or telling them you use it.

Good. I'll be glad to do that. Do you have an e-mail address
or a URL. I generally find the openSUSE web site to be unnavigatable.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Will Honea on
houghi wrote:

> As explained in the Release Notes, xorg.conf does not exist anymore. As
> that is not there anymore, why would it be  needed in YaST?

Maybe so that those who need the extra control of detail it affords could
put xorg.conf back to do what needs doing. I see a lot of older video
cards that require considerable TLC (via xorg.conf) in order to obtain
optimal performance. Since xorg.conf - if present - supercedes the
the "approved solution" why make it so damned obscure to use? The ones who
don't need it will ignore anyway.

--
Will Honea

From: Paul J Gans on
Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:

>> In openSUSE, thanks to KDE, I have
>> one screen open with a long window (a simple wheel-click on the
>> fullsize icon at the upper right) and one open normally.

>I've been using KDE for years, I never knew you could do that...

It is very useful. A left click makes the window full screen (as
it should). A center click extends the window to the bottom of
the screen. A right click extends the window sideways to fill
the screen.

The center click is excellent for reading code or any ascii document.
The right click is excellent for looking at log files and the like
without any wrapping.

I don't know where I found out about this. In general the documentation
is TERRIBLE. But that's because folks would rather write code. So
would I, so I can't blame them for it.

None of this seems to work in KDE4.3, which is too bad.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Eef Hartman on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> For all I know you are right with that. Then start doing something about
> it. Untill then, KDE3 will be dropped,

KDE 3 has already been dropped, both by the KDE development team
(there will be no updates/bug-fixes/security-patches for 3.5.10
anymore) and by most of the newer releases of the major distributions
like Slackware 13.0, openSUSE 11.2, kubuntu 9.10, Fedora 12 and
probably others). Even SLED 11 doesn't supply KDE 3 anymore.
OK, CentOS 5.4 still does, but of course they follow RHEL 5 and
Red Hat won't be switching until RHEL 6 is released (it is not
known yet when that will be).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **
From: felmon on
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:05:16 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

> I always assign these things to more or less standard screens so they
> are all one click away. Try doing that in Windows.

you're right about my going off-topic but just another remark about
styles of work. what you described would drive our secretary or my wife
(very smart folks) bonkers. both of them shut down one application when
they start another! (probably with the exception of the browser.) of
course, using Windows they don't know about this desktop magic but I
doubt they would use it because it still would feel 'cluttered'.

I seldom use it myself. old dog. not sure it would help me much in my
work either.

frankly and to be fair, what I need to do is research what kde4.x gains
me that I don't have with kde3.x (aside from a later eol).

Felmon