From: Baron on
felmon wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 02:42:42 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:
>
>> I'm at a KDE 3.5 Konsole window right now.
>
> how does one install kde 3.5 in OpenSUSE 11.1?
>
> I installed OpenSUSE 11.2 yesterday and I am a bit discontent. it is
> partly because I am not sure I have got the best visual setup - the
> resolution seems correct but the screen or maybe it's the fonts seem
> indistinct (compared to Debian Lenny on the same system without much
> tinkering).
>
> but I am also a bit put off by kde 4.x. I can get used to it, I am
> sure, but for now kde 3.5 is much better for me.
>
> I would like at go at OpenSuse 11.1 with kde 3.5 if that's doable.
> otherwise I'll probably hang at Debian Lenny still. Suse used to be my
> main distribution but no longer.
>
> Felmon

When you installed 11.1 you were offered a choice "Gnome, KDE4 and
Other" Choose "Other" and KDE3.5 is there. You can install it from
YAST as well.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: EOS on
Baron wrote:

> When you installed 11.1 you were offered a choice "Gnome, KDE4 and
> Other" Choose "Other" and KDE3.5 is there. You can install it from
> YAST as well.

adding KDE3 repo into openSUSE 11.2 works also
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.2

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3
--
EOS
www.photo-memories.be
From: jamesromeongmail.com on
On Nov 23, 5:44 am, EOS <heelst...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
> > 1) Is there any way to set keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops in
> > pager?
>
> not that i know
>
> > And how do I turn OFF desktop switching with the mouse?
>
> not possible as far as i know
>
> > 2) Is there a way to turn off transparency in Folder View?
>
> can you give us a screenshot?
>
> > 3) Video setup using sax2 seems to have disappeared off of Yast2. What
> > has replaced it?
>
> It's not replaced ;-)
> there is no link in yast anymore (shame)
> you can find it under "kmenu - system - configuration - sax2"
> or just start it with "alt+F2" --> sax2
>
> You also check the app under KDE4 for that
> "kmenu - systemsettings - monitor"
>
> > 4) Inside of Yast2, lots of the help files seem to be missing. How do
> > I install them?
>
> Hum, is it possible that yast is in "default EN"
> check "yast2-trans-??"
>
> > 5) I get lots of X11 errors like:
> > Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
> > 1000.0".
> > How do I fix this?
>
> check the setting of you're monitor
> I believe that you are using KDE4 ;-)
> "kmenu - systemsettings - monitor"

Thanks for actually trying to answer this and not to flame KDE4 (which
may deserve it). I have a logitech VXRevolution mouse, and the scroll
wheel seems to be changing the desktops. Because I have the mouse
wheel set to free wheel, moving the mouse quickly can change the
desktop. So I think the real question is "how do you set the mouse
wheel to only do a middle-click, and not a search, desktop switch, or
anything else?"

I do not know how to post a picture from Google, but the Folder View
widget has a transparent background. I hate transparency on anything.

I have another problem with the Application launcher. I removed old
versions of Netbeans, and their icons still remain in the launcher.
How does one remove them? KDE4 is so unintuitive. One would think that
a right-click menu would have a remove option?

On kmenu (which I believe is the Application Launcher), I do not have
"kmenu - systemsettings - monitor" . There is System, Configuration,
Sax2, but I am actually using a remote desktop, so the monitor is
different. But I see these X11 errors on the real monitor as well.

And surely there is a keystroke setting to change desktops?

Thanks,
Jim

From: Darklight on
EOS wrote:

> houghi wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a lot of people who have an issue with KDE 4.x. To me
>> that looks as if it might be a KDE thing and not so much an openSUSE
>> thing.
>

> that's true
> openSUSE is not the fault of the "slow" development of KDE4
>
> And i believe that openSUSE is the best distro to use KDE4 at the moment.

I use 10.3 and will keep it for some time because it works and i can mess
about with it.

I installed 11.2 on my laptop and yes i am impressed but i think i would
miss sax2.

I did have a fear that opensuse or linux for that matter would become like
windows. i guess it would go that way as they want more people to use it.
i think linux users will just have to get used to it or go to another
distro.

There is one thing i did not try when installing 11.2 was manual config that
might bring back sax2.

The question people should be asking is sax2 still available in gnome?
From: Vahis on
On 2009-11-23, Darklight <nglennglen(a)netscape.net> wrote:

<snip>
> I installed 11.2 on my laptop and yes i am impressed but i think i would
> miss sax2.

You don't need to, it's there.
Just go to init 3 and run it as root, like always.

> I did have a fear that opensuse or linux for that matter would become like
> windows. i guess it would go that way as they want more people to use it.
> i think linux users will just have to get used to it or go to another
> distro.
>
> There is one thing i did not try when installing 11.2 was manual config that
> might bring back sax2.

Sax2 is there.

> The question people should be asking is sax2 still available in gnome?

Use CLI

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 8:41am (EET), sunset 3:31pm (EET) at Espoo, Finland (6:49 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com