From: jamesromeongmail.com on
1) Is there any way to set keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops in
pager?
And how do I turn OFF desktop switching with the mouse?
2) Is there a way to turn off transparency in Folder View?
3) Video setup using sax2 seems to have disappeared off of Yast2. What
has replaced it?
4) Inside of Yast2, lots of the help files seem to be missing. How do
I install them?
5) I get lots of X11 errors like:
Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
1000.0".
How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Jim
From: Paul J Gans on
jamesromeongmail.com <jamesrome(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>1) Is there any way to set keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops in
>pager?
>And how do I turn OFF desktop switching with the mouse?
>2) Is there a way to turn off transparency in Folder View?
>3) Video setup using sax2 seems to have disappeared off of Yast2. What
>has replaced it?
>4) Inside of Yast2, lots of the help files seem to be missing. How do
>I install them?
>5) I get lots of X11 errors like:
>Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
>1000.0".
>How do I fix this?

I dunno. But I'm sure there is a way somehow.

What I object very strongly to is the Microsoftization of openSUSE.
Windows is a reasonable OS for folks who want to have everything
set up for them and are willing to live with the result.

Most of us use linux because we want to set things up our way.
11.2 seems to make it very hard to do anything your own way.

I have no idea why this was done. I may be alone, but I don't
run linux to look at the eye candy on the screen. I run it to
get work done. KDE4 seems to do things in a different way
simply to be different, not because it is more useful.

Yes, I've tried 11.2 via the live CD. I'm staying with 11.1 for
another year, by which time it should be nearing end of life.
At that point the then current openSUSE will be useful or I'll
be looking for another distro. I started with SLS and have been
through Slackware and Red Hat (and Ubuntu for laptops) and am
not afraid to move on.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Baron on
Paul J Gans wrote:

> jamesromeongmail.com <jamesrome(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>1) Is there any way to set keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops in
>>pager?
>>And how do I turn OFF desktop switching with the mouse?
>>2) Is there a way to turn off transparency in Folder View?
>>3) Video setup using sax2 seems to have disappeared off of Yast2. What
>>has replaced it?
>>4) Inside of Yast2, lots of the help files seem to be missing. How do
>>I install them?
>>5) I get lots of X11 errors like:
>>Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
>>1000.0".
>>How do I fix this?
>
> I dunno. But I'm sure there is a way somehow.
>
> What I object very strongly to is the Microsoftization of openSUSE.
> Windows is a reasonable OS for folks who want to have everything
> set up for them and are willing to live with the result.
>
> Most of us use linux because we want to set things up our way.
> 11.2 seems to make it very hard to do anything your own way.
>
> I have no idea why this was done. I may be alone, but I don't
> run linux to look at the eye candy on the screen. I run it to
> get work done. KDE4 seems to do things in a different way
> simply to be different, not because it is more useful.
>
> Yes, I've tried 11.2 via the live CD. I'm staying with 11.1 for
> another year, by which time it should be nearing end of life.
> At that point the then current openSUSE will be useful or I'll
> be looking for another distro. I started with SLS and have been
> through Slackware and Red Hat (and Ubuntu for laptops) and am
> not afraid to move on.

Hi Paul,
I can sympathise with you and agree KDE4 is just not intuitive !
I'm sticking with KDE3.5 until it dies.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Paul J Gans on
Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:

>> jamesromeongmail.com <jamesrome(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>1) Is there any way to set keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops in
>>>pager?
>>>And how do I turn OFF desktop switching with the mouse?
>>>2) Is there a way to turn off transparency in Folder View?
>>>3) Video setup using sax2 seems to have disappeared off of Yast2. What
>>>has replaced it?
>>>4) Inside of Yast2, lots of the help files seem to be missing. How do
>>>I install them?
>>>5) I get lots of X11 errors like:
>>>Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
>>>1000.0".
>>>How do I fix this?
>>
>> I dunno. But I'm sure there is a way somehow.
>>
>> What I object very strongly to is the Microsoftization of openSUSE.
>> Windows is a reasonable OS for folks who want to have everything
>> set up for them and are willing to live with the result.
>>
>> Most of us use linux because we want to set things up our way.
>> 11.2 seems to make it very hard to do anything your own way.
>>
>> I have no idea why this was done. I may be alone, but I don't
>> run linux to look at the eye candy on the screen. I run it to
>> get work done. KDE4 seems to do things in a different way
>> simply to be different, not because it is more useful.
>>
>> Yes, I've tried 11.2 via the live CD. I'm staying with 11.1 for
>> another year, by which time it should be nearing end of life.
>> At that point the then current openSUSE will be useful or I'll
>> be looking for another distro. I started with SLS and have been
>> through Slackware and Red Hat (and Ubuntu for laptops) and am
>> not afraid to move on.

>Hi Paul,
>I can sympathise with you and agree KDE4 is just not intuitive !
>I'm sticking with KDE3.5 until it dies.

Thanks.

I don't want anyone to think that I object to pretty or cute. They
are fine. But not at the expense of functionality.

I'm at a KDE 3.5 Konsole window right now. I've got a menu bar at
the top with lots of tools I can and do use. Where did they go
in 4.3? They are probably around somewhere, but I'd really rather
they defaulted to the menu bar at the top of the window.

Sax2 is missing from YAST. Probably one should use randr (or whatever
it is called) instead. It could have been set up so that it was
called from YAST in addition to being available from the command line.
I think we'd all gotten used to the old setup. Change for the
sake of change is annoying.

And on and on. But what have we gained from this change?

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: felmon on
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 02:42:42 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

> I'm at a KDE 3.5 Konsole window right now.

how does one install kde 3.5 in OpenSUSE 11.1?

I installed OpenSUSE 11.2 yesterday and I am a bit discontent. it is
partly because I am not sure I have got the best visual setup - the
resolution seems correct but the screen or maybe it's the fonts seem
indistinct (compared to Debian Lenny on the same system without much
tinkering).

but I am also a bit put off by kde 4.x. I can get used to it, I am sure,
but for now kde 3.5 is much better for me.

I would like at go at OpenSuse 11.1 with kde 3.5 if that's doable.
otherwise I'll probably hang at Debian Lenny still. Suse used to be my
main distribution but no longer.

Felmon