From: Paul J Gans on
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
>On Tuesday 24 Nov 2009 11:34, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
>Ulick Magee painted this mural:

[snip]

>On this point, and the "how long it takes to port kde to microsoft"
>point, certainly feels like trolling to me.

>> Changes to KDE are as a result of decisions made by the KDE project.

>And which were to do with maintenance and development of the code. It
>was broken from the developers viewpoint, and so they fixed it by
>rewriting it. It's a major pity that the distros jumped on the
>"oooh, shiny and new" but "not really for public release" version of
>KDE and foisted it upon their users. If they'd waited until KDE 4.2 or
>4.3, there would probably have been less complaints[0]. Unfortunately,
>the distros are in competition and everyone wants to be the first to
>have the "shiny and new" stuff, even if it's .

>> Switching distros may buy you some more time, but KDE3 is going to die
>> off sooner or later.

>As far as KDE is concerned, it's dead. As for future development,
>that's up to the distros and those users that can maintain it. The
>distros are already close to dropping it, and I think that some may
>have already done so. The number of users that feel they can maintain
>it is going to drop over time, and so it will end up suffering a slow
>death.

>> If you don't like KDE4 then use a different desktop environment,
>> openSUSE supports more than most other distros.

>XFCE is a nice one. I think it looks a little like KDE2, but it's fast
>and lighter weight than either Gnome or KDE.

I shall have to try it.

>There's also Gnome, which I don't like. It seems like it is designed to
>hide a lot of the configuration options from the user, making it pretty
>good for newbies. As it's also pretty similar to KDE in looks, thanks
>to the various efforts to provide a standardised look, so it may even
>be good for those users that don't like to get into the nitty gritty
>and tweak every single thing they can.

Yes.

>WindowMaker, IceWM and others are even lighter weight but are very
>different from KDE, Gnome and XFCE in looks. Still, they are usable, as
>there are at least a few people using these desktops and that post
>here.

I'll check out XFCE and perhaps IceWM. If they suit my needs,
fine.

And thanks for the post.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Paul J Gans on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>As explained in the Release Notes, xorg.conf does not exist anymore. As
>>>that is not there anymore, why would it be needed in YaST?
>>
>> We are talking about a tool to fix color depth and screen resolution.
>> That has traditionally been located in YAST. Why move it out of
>> YAST? Just to be difficult?
>>
>> That's what I don't understand.
>>
>> It has nothing to do with xorg.conf. It has nothing to do with
>> anything except a desire to be different.

>The reasoning behind it is that e.g. nividia-setup will take care of it
>and in general it is not needed. I understand that you might disagree.

You and I both know that there is NO automatic hardware setup that
will work on all machines. And video setup, like sound, is one
of the areas with the most difficulty. So why hide the YAST entry
to fix it?

So you see that you are right. I don't agree.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Paul J Gans on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> OpenSUSE is of course free to do what it wants. But with 11.2 they
>> seem to have broken the look and feel in a rather drastic manner.
><snip>
>> What I don't understand is why the KDE folks found it so necessary
>> to change the feel -- and why openSUSE found it so necessary to
>> follow them.

>So on one side you are talking about openSUSE and the you start talking
>about KDE. To me it is a KDE issue, not an openSUSE issue.

Not at all.

1) I don't understand why the KDE folks found it necessary to
change the FEEL. I have no problem with them changing the
look.

2) So when openSUSE adopted KDE4, openSUSE was, in fact, changing
the FEEL of openSUSE, at least in the default installation.

You are free to feel differently.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: felmon on
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:26:52 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

> That's the start of the rant. You don't want the rest.

some of us do! tell us a story!

also, does your rant include Windows 7?

I probably don't think Windows is quite as bad as you do but such
judgments depend a lot on the kind and style of work one does.

(I have myself never been a Windows user. I transited to Linux from OS/2
some yrs ago.)

Felmon
From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 24 Nov 2009 15:32, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:

>> That it an interesting question to ask, especially since I rarely see
>> anyone complaining about KDE4 actually make reference to any dialogue
>> they've had with a developer.
>
> The only person that seems to make a bit of noise about things changing
> in the developers mailinglist does not even use KDE.

I haven't made any noise because I don't expect it to be the same as
KDE3. It's a complete rewrite and so I expected it to be different. And
it's not like it's that hard to work with as most things are fairly
similar to the previous major version. Locations of some (a lot of?)
the configuration options have changed, some items have gone and some
new ones have appeared, and it may need getting used to the changes.

>> Every time I hear/see that, I start suffering from the Lumberjack song
>> running through my head.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVOG199X2c Or is that not the version
> you suffer from?

That's the one. At least I haven't started thinking about the Spanish
Inquisition and being tortured with the comfy cushions.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | | openSUSE 11.2 32b