From: Paul J Gans on
Darklight <nglennglen(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:

>> jamesromeongmail.com <jamesrome(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>1) Is there any way to set keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops in
>>>pager?
>>>And how do I turn OFF desktop switching with the mouse?
>>>2) Is there a way to turn off transparency in Folder View?
>>>3) Video setup using sax2 seems to have disappeared off of Yast2. What
>>>has replaced it?
>>>4) Inside of Yast2, lots of the help files seem to be missing. How do
>>>I install them?
>>>5) I get lots of X11 errors like:
>>>Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
>>>1000.0".
>>>How do I fix this?
>>
>> I dunno. But I'm sure there is a way somehow.
>>
>> What I object very strongly to is the Microsoftization of openSUSE.
>> Windows is a reasonable OS for folks who want to have everything
>> set up for them and are willing to live with the result.
>>
>> Most of us use linux because we want to set things up our way.
>> 11.2 seems to make it very hard to do anything your own way.
>>
>> I have no idea why this was done. I may be alone, but I don't
>> run linux to look at the eye candy on the screen. I run it to
>> get work done. KDE4 seems to do things in a different way
>> simply to be different, not because it is more useful.
>>
>> Yes, I've tried 11.2 via the live CD. I'm staying with 11.1 for
>> another year, by which time it should be nearing end of life.
>> At that point the then current openSUSE will be useful or I'll
>> be looking for another distro. I started with SLS and have been
>> through Slackware and Red Hat (and Ubuntu for laptops) and am
>> not afraid to move on.
>>
>I had a feeling some thing like this was going to happen when microsoft
>brought into suse. Now lets see how long it takes to port kde to microsoft.
>that is having a workable desk top for windows.

I don't think it has anything to do with Microsoft. Many other
distributions are headed in this direction. For example Ubuntu
is far down this road. BUT Ubuntu has some simple tools for
configuring the system, all gathered together in two different
programs.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Paul J Gans on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> Yes, I've tried 11.2 via the live CD. I'm staying with 11.1 for
>> another year, by which time it should be nearing end of life.
>> At that point the then current openSUSE will be useful or I'll
>> be looking for another distro. I started with SLS and have been
>> through Slackware and Red Hat (and Ubuntu for laptops) and am
>> not afraid to move on.

>Neither am I. But I am also not blaming the OS for the DE. I just change
>the DE to something I like.

I'm not blaming teh OS either. It is a KDE problem and I thought
I'd made that clear. That said, openSUSE is largely tuned for
KDE even though they do make other DE's available.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Paul J Gans on
EOS <heelstraf(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>Baron wrote:

>> When you installed 11.1 you were offered a choice "Gnome, KDE4 and
>> Other" Choose "Other" and KDE3.5 is there. You can install it from
>> YAST as well.

>adding KDE3 repo into openSUSE 11.2 works also
>http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.2

>http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3

But for how long will KDE3 be supported?

I'm set for the next year or so. I'm looking to see where I
go *after* that.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Paul J Gans on
EOS <heelstraf(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>Darklight wrote:

>> I installed 11.2 on my laptop and yes i am impressed but i think i would
>> miss sax2.

>there is sax2 in openSUSE 11.2 .........
>http://users.telenet.be/photo-memories/img/sax2_on_openSUSE112.png

Good to know. But why was it removed from YAST? Just to annoy
old users of openSUSE?

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: stan on
Will Honea wrote:
> Paul J Gans wrote:
>> jamesromeongmail.com <jamesrome(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>1) Is there any way to set keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops in
>>>pager?
>>>And how do I turn OFF desktop switching with the mouse?
>>>2) Is there a way to turn off transparency in Folder View?
>>>3) Video setup using sax2 seems to have disappeared off of Yast2. What
>>>has replaced it?
>>>4) Inside of Yast2, lots of the help files seem to be missing. How do
>>>I install them?
>>>5) I get lots of X11 errors like:
>>>Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":
>>>1000.0".
>>>How do I fix this?
>>
>> I dunno. But I'm sure there is a way somehow.
>>
>> What I object very strongly to is the Microsoftization of openSUSE.
>> Windows is a reasonable OS for folks who want to have everything
>> set up for them and are willing to live with the result.
>>
>> Most of us use linux because we want to set things up our way.
>> 11.2 seems to make it very hard to do anything your own way.
>>
>> I have no idea why this was done. I may be alone, but I don't
>> run linux to look at the eye candy on the screen. I run it to
>> get work done. KDE4 seems to do things in a different way
>> simply to be different, not because it is more useful.
>>
>> Yes, I've tried 11.2 via the live CD. I'm staying with 11.1 for
>> another year, by which time it should be nearing end of life.
>> At that point the then current openSUSE will be useful or I'll
>> be looking for another distro. I started with SLS and have been
>> through Slackware and Red Hat (and Ubuntu for laptops) and am
>> not afraid to move on.
>
> I think you represent a lot of us there, Paul. Change for the sake of
> change is the best reason I know for doing NOTHING. A computer is a tool,
> an operating system is a an attribute of the tool. Like a hammer - and
> when one hammer isn't doing the best job for me I have no qualms about
> changing to one that does. Isn't that why there are multiple tools that fit
> the generic description of "hammer"? Rather than fight 11.2 I'm using the
> time to investigate the other hammers out there - including other DE's -
> just in case.

Seems like KDE is really heading in a different direction than many
want. I realize other wm are possible but it's simply a shame to watch
KDE drag SUSE down the road with it. It's really a shame that the new
short life cycles force one to upgrade or deal with an increasingly
stale system. I was very content but each new release seems to head in
a direction that isn't compatible with my use. Seems like each release
is tuned to lure windows user over. I left windows for a reason and as
KDE goes in that direction it becomes more unpalatable.

I find it interesting that no one in my house from 6 to 60 likes the
new KDE4. Doesn't mean it's bad, I just thought maybe it was me. I
spend the vast majority of my time at a command line and touch the
mouse rarely, but my grandchildren grew up with gui's and they don't
get it either.

I don't intend this as a whine, it's simply a statement about a choice
I don't agree with and maybe this will be another data point to let
the developers know what the masses are experiencing. I'm not going to
11.2 and this will probably be my last SUSE distribution.

I've been around linux for a long time and I know how to get around
under the hood. I know that I can simply drop the parts that annoy and
fix my problems. I'm sure many will do just that and be happy. I won't
put that effort into fixing SUSE to meet my needs. I don't know what
distro better fits my needs and maybe it's time to simply go from
scratch.

For the record, my preferences notwithstanding, KDE4 doesn't really
feel completely ready for prime time yet. I don't really know why, but
I suspect that maybe it resources. There simply aren't enough
developers to maintain 3.5 and move 4 forward so they cut 3.5 loose
and decided to drop 4 as trial by fire. My primary concerns are more
general than actual growing pains, I don't agree with the direction. I
could probably sort through most difficulties as most are doing now. I
don't see any real show stoppers, just annoyances and time sink's. For
me its at a point where I spend more time than its worth to get
something that really isn't enjoyable in the end.

Oh well, I'm sure there are many who couldn't be happier and I wish
them well.