From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

IE General, OE General, OE6, Windows Update, Win98 General, & WLMessenger
were some of the newsgroups dropped late last week. IE6 was dropped in
early June.

From: Bill in Co on
LVTravel wrote:
> "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Can anyone inform me , from my return from holiday I find I have lost
>> newsgroups like windows outlook express, Hardware, and ie6 groups .
>>
>> Roger
>>

> MS is dropping the newsgroups in favor of forums (yuck) and all of the MS
> newsgroups will be gone by sometime in Oct this year IIRC. If you have
> another news server you are using that has the old MS newsgroups you can
> access them from there (I use eternal-september.org's) for my posts but
> most of the NGs are now dead and no one is posting on them.

Really? I'm not so sure about that, but then again, I haven't counted.
I expect that many of us have just gone over to a different newserver.

It will be interesting to see how many still stay active, however, after the
forums really kick in. Hopefully a lot still will, however, as who really
wants a forum based format? I still think the NNTP format for these simple
text exchanges is preferable over the web page based format.

From: LVTravel on

"Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> LVTravel wrote:
>> "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone inform me , from my return from holiday I find I have lost
>>> newsgroups like windows outlook express, Hardware, and ie6 groups .
>>>
>>> Roger
>>>

>> MS is dropping the newsgroups in favor of forums (yuck) and all of the MS
>> newsgroups will be gone by sometime in Oct this year IIRC. If you have
>> another news server you are using that has the old MS newsgroups you can
>> access them from there (I use eternal-september.org's) for my posts but
>> most of the NGs are now dead and no one is posting on them.
>
> Really? I'm not so sure about that, but then again, I haven't counted.
> I expect that many of us have just gone over to a different newserver.
>
> It will be interesting to see how many still stay active, however, after
> the forums really kick in. Hopefully a lot still will, however, as who
> really wants a forum based format? I still think the NNTP format for
> these simple text exchanges is preferable over the web page based format.

Microsoft is dropping their newsgroups by removing all from their servers.
Many of the newsgroups can still be accessed using another mirror of the MS
newsgroups which I am doing using eternal-september.org. Many of the
newsgroups are now not receiving any new posts and even some that I have
responded to recently are dying from lack of participation. What will
remain is anyone's guess past October when all the news.microsoft.com
newsgroups are no more.

From: ~*Laughingstar*~ on
so much for believing I was doing so well! What will "we" do without our
mentors???

--
Ciao -

CarolJhThompson
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are
spiritual beings having a human experience ( Pierre Teilhard de
Chardin)."

From: Bill in Co on
I'm not convinced they are all leaving. Hopefully some of the most helpful
ones will stick around on the real newgroups (via another nntp server), and
not this newage, web page forum thing.