From: RDOGuy on
On Sep 21, 8:25 am, Michael Dobony <sur...(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote:

> It was thinner than his thumb and almost the
> entire length fit in his hand, about a half inch above his hand and part of
> the jack was covered by his pinky finger.  Any guesses what it might have
> been?

Hmmm... maybe an AKG C430? Fits your physical description.
From: Eeyore on

Phildo wrote:

> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

> >> Nope, no ball at the end. Pure pencil mic, closer to a SM81 in black and
> >> straight and shorter.
> >
> > There's a fair number of mics that look like that.
> >
> > I'll make a wild guess and say Beyer M201.
>
> If you look at all the old Top Of The Pops TV shows in the UK back in the
> 70s when the vocalists actually sang live they all have very thin mics with
> no ball on the end. Not sure what they were as I haven't seen any repeats in
> years but I would love to know what they were, especially the radio versions
> with the silly antenna bits on the bottom.

They used to use AKG D1000s and D1200s IIRC. Not bad mics actually but both of
those are wired.

Graham

From: Phildo on

"Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
>> If you look at all the old Top Of The Pops TV shows in the UK back in the
>> 70s when the vocalists actually sang live they all have very thin mics
>> with
>> no ball on the end. Not sure what they were as I haven't seen any repeats
>> in
>> years but I would love to know what they were, especially the radio
>> versions
>> with the silly antenna bits on the bottom.
>
> You're saying they don't actually sing, but lipsync?

TOTP used to be all live, then it went to half-playback, then fully mimed
then there was a big push towards performing live again until people
realised the milli vanilli clones weren't capable of performing live so it
quietly went back to miming again until the show was cancelled.

Phildo

From: Mike Dobony on
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:47:07 +0200, Joe Kotroczo wrote:

> On 22/09/08 17:04, in article 6e0dzs7apjf1$.1rsf3r5t3j0vr$.dlg(a)40tude.net,
> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:34:27 +0100, Phildo wrote:
>>
>>> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

>>> If you look at all the old Top Of The Pops TV shows in the UK back in the
>>> 70s when the vocalists actually sang live they all have very thin mics with
>>> no ball on the end. Not sure what they were as I haven't seen any repeats in
>>> years but I would love to know what they were, especially the radio versions
>>> with the silly antenna bits on the bottom.
>>>
>>> Phildo
>>
>> You're saying they don't actually sing, but lipsync?
>
> How many TV shows do you know where they actually sing, not lipsync?

This was a live show, not TV. How much coal did the Titanic carry?
Nuclear subs do not carry coal.
From: Bob Howes on

"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> On 22/09/08 4:33, in article 165rd1sb7pnpb.18x2qj97txecu.dlg(a)40tude.net,

>>> Nope, no ball at the end. Pure pencil mic, closer to a SM81 in black
>>> and
>>> straight and shorter.
>>
>> There's a fair number of mics that look like that.
>>
>> I'll make a wild guess and say Beyer M201.
>
> If you look at all the old Top Of The Pops TV shows in the UK back in the
> 70s when the vocalists actually sang live they all have very thin mics
> with no ball on the end. Not sure what they were as I haven't seen any
> repeats in years but I would love to know what they were, especially the
> radio versions with the silly antenna bits on the bottom.
>
> Phildo

The early silver mics were, indeed, the Calrec C600 series. However, when
their deception graduated to black mics with standard XLR outputs I believe
those were AKG C451s.

Indeed, there's a possiblity that the mics mentioned in the OP may have been
C451s since the old design had interchangeable capsules including one that
would have been suitable for close vocals.

Bob

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Allen & Heath GL4000 meter pod issue
Next: For Phildo