From: Peter Larsen on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:

>> It was the C747 that came to mind based on the description, see:

>> http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,243,pid,243,nodeid,2,_language,
>> EN.html

> Doesn't that have the interference tube over the whole length of its
> body? How does it react if you cover the slots with your hand?

Goes omni to some extent just like any cupped SM58 will, pun unavoidable but
not intended. Frequency response if held like described in the original
question is also likely to be technically fascinating.

What a lot of interesting retro-stuff that question brought up as sidebands
..... thanks to Mike for asking it!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

From: Ron(UK) on
BJtheDJ(a)the.controls wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:24:08 +0100, "Peter Larsen" <digilyd(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> BJtheDJ(a)the.controls wrote:
>>
>>> As an addendum to me previous post, looking further at the article
>>> that I URL'd, I can see the Simms-Watts mic linked at
>>> http://www.saturn-sound.com/images/example%20of%20a%20simms-watts%20microphone.jpg
>> Simms-Watts also had an omni, sounded great on acoustic guitar, but
>> troublesome, oh so troublesome .... the danish band Bifrost purchased one
>> and had it as a part of the their first kit. In the context of amplification
>> it was a silly waste of good money and probably not the optimum advice from
>> Lyra Musik that sold it to them.
>
> I never saw that, but since I knew both Dave Simms (I never found out who
> the Watts was) and his shop manager Chris (who went on to found CP Cases)
> at The Musical Bargain Centre in South Ealing I wouldn't have been offered
> an omni, maybe some of the others around at that time :)
>
> Dave was one of the great characters (maybe still is) of the 70s.

I was a Simms Watts dealer back in the 70`s, I recall the rep was
called Terry Maybe (sp?) and I think was a jazz musician.

They made some nice gear

Ron
From: Keith on
On Sep 27, 6:18 pm, "Peter Larsen" <digi...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Bob Howes wrote:
> > The early silver mics were, indeed, the Calrec C600 series.  However,
> > when their deception graduated to black mics with standard XLR
> > outputs I believe those were AKG C451s.
>
> I always considered any use of the MD211 to constitute a dead giveaway that
> it was mime, I don't really know about the small EV omni ....
>
> > Indeed, there's a possiblity that the mics mentioned in the OP may
> > have been C451s since the old design had interchangeable capsules
> > including one that would have been suitable for close vocals.
>
> No, compare the description to the C747, imo it is a better fit, but a weird
> choice. And it would probably sound sharp as it was described to do once the
> silly proximity boost it would have was removed.
>
> > Bob
>
>   Kind regards
>
>   Peter Larsen

I thought of the C747, but it cannot be hand-held,except with the
finger tips at the base.I found this out by trial and error when
horrendous feedback was produced when any of the holes in the body
were covered.
It seems to its own mounting kit or nothing else.
From: Arny Krueger on
"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

> "Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote
> in message news:48DA9316.EEF41619(a)hotmail.com...

>> Please lay off it Phildo. We all know Dobby is a
>> beginner. There's no need to continually rub it in.

Agreed.

> There is as long as he continues to consider himself an
> expert and tries to dispense advice on here.

This is a huge part of Phildo's mistaken world view - Phildo seems to truely
believe that anybody who shares an opinion here is doing so, not because
they want to share opinions about audio, but because they think they are an
expert.

From: Ron(UK) on
BJtheDJ(a)the.controls wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:36:12 +0100, "Ron(UK)" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com>
> wrote:
>
>> BJtheDJ(a)the.controls wrote:

>>> I never saw that, but since I knew both Dave Simms (I never found out who
>>> the Watts was) and his shop manager Chris (who went on to found CP Cases)
>>> at The Musical Bargain Centre in South Ealing I wouldn't have been offered
>>> an omni, maybe some of the others around at that time :)
>>>
>>> Dave was one of the great characters (maybe still is) of the 70s.
>>>

>> I was a Simms Watts dealer back in the 70`s, I recall the rep was
>> called Terry Maybe (sp?) and I think was a jazz musician.
>>
>> They made some nice gear
>
> I never used their amplification (Vitavox 123 loaded Wallace 2 x 12s for me
> in those days) but their 2x15 with 2 early piezo tweeters were very
> popular, open back and all! Or their amps (Leak TL-50s and then Sound City
> 200-watt pa amps)
>
> They had some nice DJ mixers for the time that I used, they also launched
> an 'August' branded line.
>
> Most of their electronics stuff was either rebadged - or manufactured by -
> Tuac down in Tooting (still going I believe).I remember trying to check out
> the thermal cutouts on a heat sink for one of their 125-watt modules, and
> after half an hour running it into 2 ohms (with the speakers face down on
> the floor) finally gave up and figured out that I wouldn't be able to kill
> it no matter what I did :)

Their solid state stuff didn't sound so good, but did seem to be
reliable. The valve gear was great, (as used by John Entwhistle and Mick
Ronson) and they did some very good speaker cabinets in a nice blue and
orange livery. I also remember some very good guitar effects in very
solid resin cases.

And, yes, the disco gear was good value for money, I had several in my
hire out stock back then.. Don't remember any failures.

Ron(UK)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: Allen & Heath GL4000 meter pod issue
Next: For Phildo