From: Michael Dobony on
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:11:41 +0100, BJtheDJ(a)the.controls wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:34:27 +0100, "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote:
>

>>"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

>>> There's a fair number of mics that look like that.
>>>
>>> I'll make a wild guess and say Beyer M201.
>>
>>If you look at all the old Top Of The Pops TV shows in the UK back in the
>>70s when the vocalists actually sang live they all have very thin mics with
>>no ball on the end. Not sure what they were as I haven't seen any repeats in
>>years but I would love to know what they were, especially the radio versions
>>with the silly antenna bits on the bottom.
>>
>>Phildo
>>

> Calrecs most likely
> http://www.saturn-sound.com/Curio's/calrec,_some_old_favorites.htm the BBC
> had heaps of them.
>
> Came across a few of them in my garage last year, along with a
> 'gold'-plated OEM version (for Simms-Watts) with a mesh screen manufactured
> especially for Djs :)
>
> cheers
>
> BJ
> Only users lose drugs.
>
> ROT13 this <OWgurQW(a)hfn.arg> to contact me.

Except for the DIN connector instead of the XLR and the color, it looks
like it might be what they used. Such a short little thing for a handheld.
As mentioned, when he was loud enough to actually discern what he was
singing, it sounded much better than the w'l mic, presumably an AKG.

They also looked to be somewhat older and it would be interesting to see
what happens after the DTV shakedown. Will these mics survive the
frequency flood that may come or will they have to buy new mics?

Mike D.
From: Ron(UK) on
Michael Dobony wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 06:27:54 GMT, Bob Howes wrote:
>
>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

>>> If you look at all the old Top Of The Pops TV shows in the UK back in the
>>> 70s when the vocalists actually sang live they all have very thin mics
>>> with no ball on the end. Not sure what they were as I haven't seen any
>>> repeats in years but I would love to know what they were, especially the
>>> radio versions with the silly antenna bits on the bottom.
>>>
>>> Phildo
>>>
>> The early silver mics were, indeed, the Calrec C600 series. However, when
>> their deception graduated to black mics with standard XLR outputs I believe
>> those were AKG C451s.
>>
>> Indeed, there's a possiblity that the mics mentioned in the OP may have been
>> C451s since the old design had interchangeable capsules including one that
>> would have been suitable for close vocals.
>>
>> Bob
>
> The AKG C451 is over 6 inches long. This mic in question could be no more
> than 4.5 inches long. Part of the XLR jack was hidden in the hand and it
> barely stuck out more than a half inch on the other side. He did not have
> an exceptionally large hand, only a little larger than mine.

Maybe a Neumann BCM184? tho it would be an odd choice.

Ron(UK)
From: Michael Dobony on
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:15:50 +0100, Ron(UK) wrote:

> Michael Dobony wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 06:27:54 GMT, Bob Howes wrote:
>>
>>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

>>> The early silver mics were, indeed, the Calrec C600 series. However, when
>>> their deception graduated to black mics with standard XLR outputs I believe
>>> those were AKG C451s.
>>>
>>> Indeed, there's a possiblity that the mics mentioned in the OP may have been
>>> C451s since the old design had interchangeable capsules including one that
>>> would have been suitable for close vocals.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> The AKG C451 is over 6 inches long. This mic in question could be no more
>> than 4.5 inches long. Part of the XLR jack was hidden in the hand and it
>> barely stuck out more than a half inch on the other side. He did not have
>> an exceptionally large hand, only a little larger than mine.
>

> Maybe a Neumann BCM184? tho it would be an odd choice.
>
> Ron(UK)

I can't find the BCM, but I do see the KM and it fits the size. Quite an
expensive mic, but if it works for his voice, go with it! Just a guess,
assuming this is the mic, he used one in a recording studio and loved it so
he got one to use for himself. That is something I would like to see, a
pro who carries his own mic around because it fits his voice.
From: Ron(UK) on
Michael Dobony wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:15:50 +0100, Ron(UK) wrote:
>
>> Michael Dobony wrote:

>>> The AKG C451 is over 6 inches long. This mic in question could be no more
>>> than 4.5 inches long. Part of the XLR jack was hidden in the hand and it
>>> barely stuck out more than a half inch on the other side. He did not have
>>> an exceptionally large hand, only a little larger than mine.
>>
>> Maybe a Neumann BCM184? tho it would be an odd choice.
>>
>> Ron(UK)
>
> I can't find the BCM, but I do see the KM and it fits the size. Quite an
> expensive mic, but if it works for his voice, go with it! Just a guess,
> assuming this is the mic, he used one in a recording studio and loved it so
> he got one to use for himself. That is something I would like to see, a
> pro who carries his own mic around because it fits his voice.

I see it a lot. Many vocalist like to use their own mike because they
know who used it last and it`s clean. They dont always have the best
mike for their own voices mind, I see a lot of fairly inexperienced
artists with Neumann KMS105`s, often a totally wrong mike for them but
'recommended' by well meaning aquaintances.
From: Mike Dobony on
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:39:09 +0100, Ron(UK) wrote:

> Michael Dobony wrote:

>>> Maybe a Neumann BCM184? tho it would be an odd choice.
>>>
>>> Ron(UK)
>>
>> I can't find the BCM, but I do see the KM and it fits the size. Quite an
>> expensive mic, but if it works for his voice, go with it! Just a guess,
>> assuming this is the mic, he used one in a recording studio and loved it so
>> he got one to use for himself. That is something I would like to see, a
>> pro who carries his own mic around because it fits his voice.
>
> I see it a lot. Many vocalist like to use their own mike because they
> know who used it last and it`s clean.

A good point, but only one.

They dont always have the best
> mike for their own voices mind, I see a lot of fairly inexperienced
> artists with Neumann KMS105`s, often a totally wrong mike for them but
> 'recommended' by well meaning aquaintances.

I have never heard anyone use this mic that I know of. Neumann is a good
brand and this appears to be a good mic for many, but that doesn't make it
good for everyone. Some people actually sound good with an SM58 :0 Most
only sound okay with it if they have a good tech to back them up. One
needs to look at the total mix. Having one's own mic that has been
*proven* on their voice is an important element IMO. It eliminates one
potential problem area.

Mike D.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Allen & Heath GL4000 meter pod issue
Next: For Phildo