From: Peter Larsen on
Phildo wrote:

> If you look at all the old Top Of The Pops TV shows in the UK back in
> the 70s when the vocalists actually sang live they all have very thin
> mics with no ball on the end. Not sure what they were as I haven't
> seen any repeats in years but I would love to know what they were,
> especially the radio versions with the silly antenna bits on the
> bottom.

Prolly the Sennheiser MD211n, it is an excellent omni for gp speech and
great inside a kick drum.

> Phildo

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

From: Peter Larsen on
Ron(UK) wrote:

> I had it on good authority that the slim silver pencil mikes they used
> on TOTP were Calrecs. I had several of them myself at one time, this
> is before phamtom power was common and they all had separate power
> units supplying them with 51 volts. They were excellent mikes.

Those I have seen were MD211n's.

> The mikes with the bit of wire hanging out were normal mikes with a
> bit of wire in the xlr ( or din in the case of the Calrecs) just to
> make them look like radio mikes.

:]

> Ron(UK)

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

From: Peter Larsen on
Bob Howes wrote:

> The early silver mics were, indeed, the Calrec C600 series. However,
> when their deception graduated to black mics with standard XLR
> outputs I believe those were AKG C451s.

I always considered any use of the MD211 to constitute a dead giveaway that
it was mime, I don't really know about the small EV omni ....

> Indeed, there's a possiblity that the mics mentioned in the OP may
> have been C451s since the old design had interchangeable capsules
> including one that would have been suitable for close vocals.

No, compare the description to the C747, imo it is a better fit, but a weird
choice. And it would probably sound sharp as it was described to do once the
silly proximity boost it would have was removed.

> Bob

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

From: Peter Larsen on
BJtheDJ(a)the.controls wrote:

> As an addendum to me previous post, looking further at the article
> that I URL'd, I can see the Simms-Watts mic linked at
> http://www.saturn-sound.com/images/example%20of%20a%20simms-watts%20microphone.jpg

Simms-Watts also had an omni, sounded great on acoustic guitar, but
troublesome, oh so troublesome .... the danish band Bifrost purchased one
and had it as a part of the their first kit. In the context of amplification
it was a silly waste of good money and probably not the optimum advice from
Lyra Musik that sold it to them.

> BJ

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 27/09/08 10:08, in article
48dde9f4$0$56776$edfadb0f(a)dtext02.news.tele.dk, "Peter Larsen"
<digilyd(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> [ I wrote ]
>
>>> AKG condensor is my guess. Strange choice for a hand-held, it is
>>> designed for use on pulpits, ie. at some distance from mouth.
>
> It was the C747 that came to mind based on the description, see:
>
> http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,243,pid,243,nodeid,2,_language,
> EN.html

Doesn't that have the interference tube over the whole length of its body?
How does it react if you cover the slots with your hand?

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: Allen & Heath GL4000 meter pod issue
Next: For Phildo