From: MEB on
On 04/11/2010 11:24 AM, Virus Guy wrote:
> Leythos wrote:
>
>>> That depends on two things:
>>
>> No, Copyright does not require anything that you suggest,
>> copyright is assumed as soon as you create the work. The
>> authors identity is attached in clear form to the work
>> that was pirated and removed by PCButts1.
>
> Please post the names of the authors of the code or scripts in question.
>
> If their names are already public knowledge (either in the "help -
> about" section of the software, or in PTO or legal copyright documents,
> or on the website that hosts the software) then you should have no
> problem stating the author names as I request in your next reply to me.

Stating specific names is not necessary nor required by Law anywhere,
particularly to YOU as you have no legal authority in any form and it is
clear your intent is to argue legal nonsense, just as you always do.

IF the subject party can, by conclusive proof, show that *they* are the
original creator, the Law protects the artistic license, copyright, and
applicable other, from the moment the FACT occurred [save under
extremely limited circumstances wherein other might apply] REGARDLESS of
whether that party has done so in their TRUE name or not. Usage of a
"nom de guerre" would not necessarily preclude legal right to the work.

YOU, OTOH, being the party stealing the work, would be without defense
should the creator/owner chose to proceed against you civilly, OR should
it fall into the criminal Law area wherein any prosecutor of competent
jurisdiction might take issue.
Beyond that, you, as thief, would also be a perfect subject for
ridicule, exposure, and whatever else others chose to leverage against you.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: Virus Guy on
The Real Truth MVP wrote:

> No, all of my software listed on http://www.ms-mvp.org/ is free and
> I don't ask for donations.

This code or scripts or what-ever it is, it's claimed to be available
from 2 sources. You and someone else (the someone else being perhaps a
single person, or a group of people - I don't know).

Putting aside the issue of whether or not this is the exact same code or
who is the second party in this matter, have they ever offered their
version of it for sale?

> > b) do any of the so-called authors make their real identity
> > fully and clearly visible to the end user of the
> > creative work - regardless if this work is given away
> > for free or is sold to the end user.
>
> No, it is not required.

I wasn't making the point that author identification was required in any
sense for software to be made available for public use.

The argument being made in this thread is that when code is "stolen" and
then incorporated into another product, that the theft breaks the
authorship trail, and the rightful authors are not properly acknowledged
for their work.

If, however, the authors never reveal themselves in the first place (ie
- if they remain anonymous) then how can it be said that the real
author(s) are harmed by the lack of proper acknowledgement?

> > Has Leythos admitted to being an author of any of this code
> > yet?
>
> That's part of the reason we are here. Leythos is not the author
> of anything.

To my recollection, he certainly has never admitted what role he has in
this software (is it Malware Bytes? Is that what we're talking about?).
From: Virus Guy on
Leythos wrote:

> > Please post the names of the authors of the code or scripts in
> > question.
> >
> > If their names are already public knowledge (either in the "help
> > - about" section of the software, or in PTO or legal copyright
> > documents, or on the website that hosts the software) then you
> > should have no problem stating the author names as I request in
> > your next reply to me.
>
> You can contact the author yourself.

I don't want to contact the author. I just want to know who he is.

Because a lot is being said about the harm he is suffering because
others are stealing his code.

So if he is so proud of his code, if his code is so good that it
deserves proper attribution, then he must identify himself somehow so
that end users can properly acknowledge his talent and efforts.

You continue to situate yourself on the fence - not acknowledging or
denying if you know who the authors are.

I can only assume that since nobody else has bothered to post the names
of these authors, that in reality he / they do not make themselves
known, so no case can really be put forward that they are being harmed
by the lack of proper attribution.

You criticize The Real Truth / PC Butts for not properly attributing the
authorship this so-called stolen code.

But you are also not providing that same information.

So you are no different than Butts in that regard.
From: Virus Guy on
MEB wrote:

> > If their names are already public knowledge (either in the "help -
> > about" section of the software, or in PTO or legal copyright
> > documents, or on the website that hosts the software) then you
> > should have no problem stating the author names as I request in
> > your next reply to me.
>
> Stating specific names is not necessary nor required by Law
> anywhere,

I never said that it was.

I'm simply asking who is the other claimed author of this contentious
code.

Most of this thread deals with the injustice or harm that comes from
stealing or using other people's code without giving proper attribution
or recognition.

So I'm asking who exactly should be given that attribution or
recognition *if* indeed we are dealing with improper code usage.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| Leythos wrote:

>> > Please post the names of the authors of the code or scripts in
>> > question.
>> >
>> > If their names are already public knowledge (either in the "help
>> > - about" section of the software, or in PTO or legal copyright
>> > documents, or on the website that hosts the software) then you
>> > should have no problem stating the author names as I request in
>> > your next reply to me.

>> You can contact the author yourself.

| I don't want to contact the author. I just want to know who he is.

| Because a lot is being said about the harm he is suffering because
| others are stealing his code.

| So if he is so proud of his code, if his code is so good that it
| deserves proper attribution, then he must identify himself somehow so
| that end users can properly acknowledge his talent and efforts.

| You continue to situate yourself on the fence - not acknowledging or
| denying if you know who the authors are.

| I can only assume that since nobody else has bothered to post the names
| of these authors, that in reality he / they do not make themselves
| known, so no case can really be put forward that they are being harmed
| by the lack of proper attribution.

| You criticize The Real Truth / PC Butts for not properly attributing the
| authorship this so-called stolen code.

| But you are also not providing that same information.

| So you are no different than Butts in that regard.

I just posted several names recently in alt.* threads.
Find it !

--
Dave