From: David Kaye on
You guys...you're all getting worked up about who stole what ideas and who
pirated what scripts and whatnot. Easy there. The world is full of people
who steal things, or borrow them, or incorporate them, or are inspired by
them.

Apple tried to sue Microsoft over the Macintosh "look and feel" and then
Microsoft pointed out that Apple took the Macintosh style from the Xerox Star
system. Case dropped.

Anybody who is truly inventive will come up with newer ideas and better
implementations. They don't have to worry about the also-ran copiers because
the folks who copy will always be left in the dust.

So, quit your bitching already and let's get back to malware problems, okay?

From: Leythos on
In article <hpl9if$9gv$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...

> So, quit your bitching already and let's get back to malware problems, okay?

When you have something that you value, that you've created, stolen by
another person and the credit changed to that person, you won't feel the
same way.

Trust yourself.
From: Peter Foldes on
+1

--
Peter

From: David Kaye on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>When you have something that you value, that you've created, stolen by
>another person and the credit changed to that person, you won't feel the
>same way.

Oh, it's happened to me. I created a list of telco area codes and prefixes,
toll charges (remember those?) and a small custom database program to display
them. It would work on any DOS or Windows machine. It was a simple, handy
way to check on long distance charges before making phone calls. It even had
a hotkey set up under DOS where you could press an F key and bring it up.

Sure enough, someone stole it, put their name on it, whatever.

As DOS went on and Windows got faster and long distance charges no longer made
a difference, my program was quickly obsolete anyway. And that's the way it
is in software. You build something and you move on. The imitators will be
imitating last year's ideas.

This is especially true of anti-malware programs. I mean, heck, does anybody
who knows anything use Norton or McAfee anymore? Or how about Ad Aware? AAW
was hot just a year ago. Now it's yesterday's news. StopZilla?
Spyware Doctor? SpySweeper? Hello?

You folks look like crybabies, bitching and moaning about who is stealing what
from whom and who is a good anti-malware expert and who isn't. There is room
enough for everyone at this table -- there is room enough for everyone who can
contribute ideas that will help to head off this invasion.

From: David Kaye on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote:

>You build something and you move on. The imitators will be
>imitating last year's ideas.

Here's a great example. The McDonald brotherss did not invent the hamburger.
They figured out a way to mass produce them and sell them fast. McDonald's
grew into a huge organization, for a long time #1 in fast food.

McDonald's spends money to scout new locations. And guess what: Burger King
comes along and without spending money to scout new locations, they open up
down the street from the new McDonald's.

So, Burger King is stealing McDonald's game plan. But remember, who is #1 and
who is #2. Burger King will never be #1 because they're always following, one
step behind.