From: Peter Lind on
On 21 April 2010 14:38, Hans Åhlin <ahlin.hans(a)kronan-net.com> wrote:
> Why change the way that has been around for years and adopted by
> multiple e-mail lists?
> It feels like it's more problem to change the way for thousands of
> users just to satisfy a couple of few.

David was venting based on a discussion in another thread. I'm pretty
sure he knows about the option to reply-all - that's part of the
reason for venting (it sends multiple emails instead of just the one
needed). The optimal scenario is to: 1) be able to quickly respond to
the list, as that's the normal action you want to do and 2) not spam
people with several emails for no reason (i.e. avoid replying to the
OP AND the list).

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: David McGlone on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 14:42 +0200, Daniel Egeberg wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 14:27, David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net> wrote:
> > I give up. trying to reply to messages on this list is tedious. I can't
> > pinpoint whether it's because the list is set up to make replies go to
> > the OP or the OP has his reply-to in his mail client set, or most people
> > are hitting the reply-to button instead of simply reply.
>
> Then get a better email client if yours doesn't support "reply to all"
> or "reply to group". It's hardly the mailing list's fault that your
> client doesn't support that.

My email client does support "reply to all", but it's IMHO
inconsiderate.

Think about people that have to pay for every Mb they download. "reply
to all" causes these people to have to pay for duplicates.

Now if somebody on this list was paying for their downloads, then you
and I am costing them money by using "reply to all" and now there are 2
duplicate messages for them the download.

How would you feel if this was you?

--
Blessings,
David M.

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 14:49 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:

> On 21 April 2010 14:38, Hans Åhlin <ahlin.hans(a)kronan-net.com> wrote:
> > Why change the way that has been around for years and adopted by
> > multiple e-mail lists?
> > It feels like it's more problem to change the way for thousands of
> > users just to satisfy a couple of few.
>
> David was venting based on a discussion in another thread. I'm pretty
> sure he knows about the option to reply-all - that's part of the
> reason for venting (it sends multiple emails instead of just the one
> needed). The optimal scenario is to: 1) be able to quickly respond to
> the list, as that's the normal action you want to do and 2) not spam
> people with several emails for no reason (i.e. avoid replying to the
> OP AND the list).
>
> --
> <hype>
> WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/plind
> Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fake51
> BeWelcome: Fake51
> Couchsurfing: Fake51
> </hype>

As I mentioned earlier, the Evolution mail client has a reply to list
option which I've used to send this to the list. A decent email client
*will* have this option somewhere, but if anyone is using one that
doesn't, Evolution is available for the majority of operating systems
out there.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: David McGlone on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 14:49 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:
> On 21 April 2010 14:38, Hans Åhlin <ahlin.hans(a)kronan-net.com> wrote:
> > Why change the way that has been around for years and adopted by
> > multiple e-mail lists?
> > It feels like it's more problem to change the way for thousands of
> > users just to satisfy a couple of few.
>
> David was venting based on a discussion in another thread. I'm pretty
> sure he knows about the option to reply-all - that's part of the
> reason for venting (it sends multiple emails instead of just the one
> needed). The optimal scenario is to: 1) be able to quickly respond to
> the list, as that's the normal action you want to do and 2) not spam
> people with several emails for no reason (i.e. avoid replying to the
> OP AND the list).

Exactly. I also feel bad for those who have to pay to download per Mb,
GB, etc.

It's pitiful that once I send this E-Mail, Peter and Hans both will get
2 of the exact messages.

--
Blessings,
David M.

From: Ken Kixmoeller on
Daniel Egeberg wrote:

> Then get a better email client if yours doesn't support "reply to all"
> or "reply to group". It's hardly the mailing list's fault that your
> client doesn't support that.

Nonsense. I have used lists like this for many, many years. PHP lists
are the only ones I have ever used that behave this way. All the others
I have used are configured that a simple "Reply" replies to the list.

Sure, you can always "Reply All" but then you get multiple replies from
the same person to the same post. Plus, it is really easy to forget.

In my opinion, it is idiotic.

OTOH, what is important to me is the quality of the information that
comes in from you incredibly generous people. Thank you to all posters.
You are the best.

The list behavior is just an irritant, but it pales in comparison to the
benefit.

Ken