From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Michiel Sikma,

> I'd like to refrain from actually passing judgement on this issue--since I
> use reply-all by default I could live with both of these settings--but I'm
> still curious as to why the list is set up the way it is.
>
> What is the advantage of sending to the OP by default rather than the list?

Because DECENT MUA's have three options:

R) Reply to OP
G) Reply to Group
L) Reply to List

If you set Reply-To: to the list, you can not more send PM to the Poster
and you have to edit the message. This is WHY "Reply-To-List" exist.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator

itsystems(a)tdnet France itsystems(a)tdnet UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Gesch. Michelle Konzack Gesch. Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Hans Åhlin,

> Strange I only got one, but it ma be a mail server filter

For me it is only worse, because if someone respond to a message with ME
in the Cc:, the Cc'ed message arrive first and will be trashed because I
have setup a filter which does

# Prevent duplicated messages
:0Whc
|formail -D 8000 .msg_id_cache
:0a
/dev/null

# Kill unwanted CC messages on my cell-phone
:0
* TO_linux4michelle(a)tamay-dogan.net
* ^List-Id:.*php-.*\.lists\.php\.net
/dev/null

:0
* ^List-Post:.*mailto:php-[-a-zA-Z0-9]+@
* ^List-Post:.*mailto:php-\/[-a-zA-Z0-9]+
.ML_php.${MATCH}/

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello David McGlone,

> Yes. but if it was so harmful, why does the 40, 50 or so lists that I've
> been on, simply let you hit the reply and it goes back to the list?

Can you tell me which list these are? I assume that on most of those
lists are handicaped Windows-Users which can not do better du to there
cuted down ad restricting software which does not allow Users-Freedom...

From: Peter Lind on
On 21 April 2010 20:09, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle(a)tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Hello Peter Lind,

Hi Michelle

> Am 2010-04-21 15:47:54, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> And waste time every single time you post to the list ... why do
>> people become programmers/developers again? To end creating technical
>> solutions they can then avoid using by doing extra, pointless manual
>> work?
>
> Hmmm, being a Programmer/Developer since 1982 and have ever used  decent
> tools to accomplish a task...  including the right  MUA  which  simplify
> the Programmers/Developers daily mailing tasks.

Making it the problem of the MUA is a hack, not a solution. If you
really want to go down the "I have experience" route I'd expect you to
choose the "fix the problem at the root"-solution not the "lets hack
it by leaving the problem as is and requiring everyone to choose a
proper tool"-hack.

>> Anyway, if there's no chance of changing the minds of the people
>> administering the list, the discussion might as well end now.
>
> Why should Programmers/Developers bother with non-reliable  MUAs  which
> do not support Programmers/Developers daily mailing tasks?
>
> If YOU are a Programmer/Developer why do you bother with a  non-suitable
> MUA?

Please don't make assumptions about me and my tools - you have no
basis for them. Apart from that, I see no reason to call MUAs
'suitable' based on whether or not they fix a problem that should be
fixed elsewhere.
If I'm not mistaken, we're faced with a quite simple cost/benefit
scenario: how many people want to reply just to the list when
responding and how many people want to reply just to the OP when
responding. If the first number is higher than the second, then we're
imposing extra work on people (either by asking them to manually fix
email addresses or by bullying them into changing email clients) if we
stick to the solution that fit the second group.

But it's still a moot point, as the admins of the list won't be
changing settings.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: Michelle Konzack

> Hello Peter Lind,
>
> Am 2010-04-21 15:47:54, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> And waste time every single time you post to the list ... why do
>> people become programmers/developers again? To end creating technical
>> solutions they can then avoid using by doing extra, pointless manual
>> work?
>
> Hmmm, being a Programmer/Developer since 1982 and have ever used
decent
> tools to accomplish a task... including the right MUA which
simplify
> the Programmers/Developers daily mailing tasks.
>
>> Anyway, if there's no chance of changing the minds of the people
>> administering the list, the discussion might as well end now.
>
> Why should Programmers/Developers bother with non-reliable MUAs
which
> do not support Programmers/Developers daily mailing tasks?
>
> If YOU are a Programmer/Developer why do you bother with a
non-suitable
> MUA?

Probably because we don't have a choice. There is a legion of PHBs that
make those decisions for us, obviously without having any information
about what tools are really needed. I have to hand edit every response I
send here and to several other lists in order to add the quote markers
and move my content to the correct location. Lookout no longer offers
that option. It also lacks the reply-to-list action as well as several
others that would make life easier and simpler for everyone. I can't
replace it because it is closely bound to our Exchange servers for
scheduling and planning. So I won't have an option until after I retire,
and then I won't need this list at all. Fortunately, that is only a
couple of years away at most.

Bob McConnell