From: David McGlone on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 09:41 -0400, Dan Joseph wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM, David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm not passing judgment, It just saddens me that I have to send
> > multiple messages and this isn't because of anyone, it's because of my
> > lack of knowledge on how to reply to lists that are set up in this way.
> > But I think the "reply to list" like ash suggested solves the multiples
> > problem.
> >
> > And on a positive note, If I wouldn't have brought this discussion up, I
> > would have never known. Pretty sure I do now.
> >

> Every couple years this discussion comes up. Cracks me up every time.
>
> When you hit reply all, just take out all the other addresses and leave the
> list one in there. The list was setup like this years ago on purpose, and
> they've stated in the past they don't want to change it..

I'm the type of person that figures out how and why and then weighs my
options. Figuring out how to reply properly to this list was the first
step, now the next step is figuring out if I can deal with it or not.

I've decided to stay for a couple reasons, for one, everybody on this
list didn't once get mean or hateful during this whole discussion. That
flabbergasted me, because on a lot of lists I am on, quite a few people
on those lists would have instantly jumped down my throat. Secondly,
Everyone on this list that I have seen ask questions and give advise are
darn good programmers, so in order to be in the company of people like
this, then changing my habits shouldn't be hard.

The reason for the subject change was because I feared I was going to
start a flame war, so I was going to back down and just forget I
mentioned it.

--
Blessings,
David M.

From: =?UTF-8?Q?Hans_=C3=85hlin?= on
2010/4/21 David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net>:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 14:49 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:
>> On 21 April 2010 14:38, Hans Åhlin <ahlin.hans(a)kronan-net.com> wrote:
>> > Why change the way that has been around for years and adopted by
>> > multiple e-mail lists?
>> > It feels like it's more problem to change the way for thousands of
>> > users just to satisfy a couple of few.
>>
>> David was venting based on a discussion in another thread. I'm pretty
>> sure he knows about the option to reply-all - that's part of the
>> reason for venting (it sends multiple emails instead of just the one
>> needed). The optimal scenario is to: 1) be able to quickly respond to
>> the list, as that's the normal action you want to do and 2) not spam
>> people with several emails for no reason (i.e. avoid replying to the
>> OP AND the list).
>
> Exactly. I also feel bad for those who have to pay to download per Mb,
> GB, etc.
>
> It's pitiful that once I send this E-Mail, Peter and Hans both will get
> 2 of the exact messages.

Strange I only got one, but it ma be a mail server filter

From: =?UTF-8?Q?Hans_=C3=85hlin?= on

From: David McGlone on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 16:12 +0200, Hans Åhlin wrote:
> 2010/4/21 David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net>:
> >>
> >> David was venting based on a discussion in another thread. I'm pretty
> >> sure he knows about the option to reply-all - that's part of the
> >> reason for venting (it sends multiple emails instead of just the one
> >> needed). The optimal scenario is to: 1) be able to quickly respond to
> >> the list, as that's the normal action you want to do and 2) not spam
> >> people with several emails for no reason (i.e. avoid replying to the
> >> OP AND the list).
> >
> > Exactly. I also feel bad for those who have to pay to download per Mb,
> > GB, etc.
> >
> > It's pitiful that once I send this E-Mail, Peter and Hans both will get
> > 2 of the exact messages.
> >

> Strange I only got one, but it ma be a mail server filter

I just received 3 copies of this message. One went to my PHP folder and
2 went to my Inbox.

--
Blessings,
David M.

From: "Tommy Pham" on
I'm sure that the reason why the this list and a few others are setup this way so that if anyone want to reply just to the OP can do so without having to figure out or remembering the e-mail address of the sender.