From: Per Jessen on
David McGlone wrote:

> Also, I do not want this discussion to turn into a flame war or
> anything of such. I am simply just trying to have a discussion and
> learn why and how there is different behavior here, but not anywhere
> else.=20

David, the PHP list behaves like hundreds or thousands of others in thi=
respect. Of course there are also lists that work the other way, but
the PHP list is far from alone.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (17.0=C2=B0C)

From: David McGlone on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 17:07 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
>
> > Also, I do not want this discussion to turn into a flame war or
> > anything of such. I am simply just trying to have a discussion and
> > learn why and how there is different behavior here, but not anywhere
> > else.
>
> David, the PHP list behaves like hundreds or thousands of others in this
> respect. Of course there are also lists that work the other way, but
> the PHP list is far from alone.

It could be just me, but it seems to me this behavior is mostly PHP list
specific. The only other php list I am on is php-db. It doesn't have
this behavior so I guess I'm just not experienced enough to know
otherwise.

--
Blessings,
David M.

From: tedd on
At 8:27 AM -0400 4/21/10, David McGlone wrote:
>I give up. trying to reply to messages on this list is tedious. I can't
>pinpoint whether it's because the list is set up to make replies go to
>the OP or the OP has his reply-to in his mail client set, or most people
>are hitting the reply-to button instead of simply reply.
>
>It just doesn't make sense to me, why be on the mailing list if it
>hinders having a group discussion without having to jump through
>hurdles. It also defeats the purpose of being on a group list if
>replying sends the reply to the OP.
>
>Every message sent to this list, simply hitting reply should send back
>to this list and not the OP.
>--
>Blessings,
>David M.

David:

Whenever I want to reply to the OP privately, I use their email address.

Whenever I want to reply to all, I use "PHP <php-general(a)lists.php.net>"

I do NOT (usually) use any quick "Reply" or "Reply to All" options in
my email program that sends stuff to everyone. Instead I think about
what I am sending and consider if anyone wants to receive my email.
Sure it's another step, but no more troublesome than trimming my
email to the point or other such considerations to make my replies
"on topic" and more readable.

I'm sorry that you feel that doing so is *so tedious* that you are
going to "give up", but consider the effort that is put forth by
those answering you you should reconsider how much effort you are
willing spend to make this list work. Sometimes things cannot be as
simple as "Click".

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: Per Jessen on
David McGlone wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 17:07 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
>> David McGlone wrote:
>>=20
>> > Also, I do not want this discussion to turn into a flame war or
>> > anything of such. I am simply just trying to have a discussion and=

>> > learn why and how there is different behavior here, but not
>> > anywhere else.
>>=20
>> David, the PHP list behaves like hundreds or thousands of others in
>> this
>> respect. Of course there are also lists that work the other way, bu=
>> the PHP list is far from alone.
>=20
> It could be just me, but it seems to me this behavior is mostly PHP
> list specific.=20

Some examples of other lists that behave the same:

ntp-general
linux-kernel
spamassassin-general
rrdtool-users
opensuse-*
nasm-users
isdn4linux
asterisk-users
postfix-users
dovecot-general

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (17.5=C2=B0C)

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Peter Lind,

> And waste time every single time you post to the list ... why do
> people become programmers/developers again? To end creating technical
> solutions they can then avoid using by doing extra, pointless manual
> work?

Hmmm, being a Programmer/Developer since 1982 and have ever used decent
tools to accomplish a task... including the right MUA which simplify
the Programmers/Developers daily mailing tasks.

> Anyway, if there's no chance of changing the minds of the people
> administering the list, the discussion might as well end now.

Why should Programmers/Developers bother with non-reliable MUAs which
do not support Programmers/Developers daily mailing tasks?

If YOU are a Programmer/Developer why do you bother with a non-suitable
MUA?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator

itsystems(a)tdnet France itsystems(a)tdnet UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Gesch. Michelle Konzack Gesch. Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de