From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 13:57 -0400, Dan Joseph wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Adam Richardson <simpleshot(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Contrary to my experiences a few years ago, there is no real loser
> > anymore,
> > they all are very nice and have their advantages.
> >

> Well, I still believe that Linux is the better suitor for a server, but some
> companies don't. So you really just have to adjust to their requirements
> and needs. You're right tho, they all have their advantages.

I agree, and with the advances Linux has been making, you can even
update the kernel now without needing to restart the server, so you can
stay up-to-date with your security patches and never need any downtime.
That's potentially more important for some businesses than the cost
savings on the software.

As a desktop system, it's my personal choice. Both KDE 4 and Gnome 3
(released in Sept 2010) offer better flashiness than Windows 7 and
arguably better than the latest Mac OSX too, and the tools are as stable
as anything I've ever used before.

And the only game I ever play (World of Warcraft) plays better on Linux
(Fedora 11) than on Windows XP (tried it on Vista once, wasn't
impressed), so I'm not considering anything else right now!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

> On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 13:57 -0400, Dan Joseph wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Adam Richardson
> <simpleshot(a)gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> > > Contrary to my experiences a few years ago, there is no real loser
> > > anymore, they all are very nice and have their advantages.
> > >

> > Well, I still believe that Linux is the better suitor for a server, but
some
> > companies don't. So you really just have to adjust to their
requirements
> > and needs. You're right tho, they all have their advantages.
> >

> I agree, and with the advances Linux has been making, you can even
> update the kernel now without needing to restart the server, so you can
> stay up-to-date with your security patches and never need any downtime.
> That's potentially more important for some businesses than the cost
> savings on the software.
>
> As a desktop system, it's my personal choice. Both KDE 4 and Gnome 3
> (released in Sept 2010) offer better flashiness than Windows 7 and
> arguably better than the latest Mac OSX too, and the tools are as stable
> as anything I've ever used before.
>
> And the only game I ever play (World of Warcraft) plays better on Linux
> (Fedora 11) than on Windows XP (tried it on Vista once, wasn't
> impressed), so I'm not considering anything else right now!
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Is there an actual WoW client for Linux or you run in Wine like environment?

Thanks,
Tommy

From: Dan Joseph on
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > As a desktop system, it's my personal choice. Both KDE 4 and Gnome 3
> > (released in Sept 2010) offer better flashiness than Windows 7 and
> > arguably better than the latest Mac OSX too, and the tools are as stable
> > as anything I've ever used before.
>
> Is there an actual WoW client for Linux or you run in Wine like
> environment?

I used Cedega for WoW years ago, but I think it runs under wine just fine.

I personally am using Windows for my desktop these days. I have needs for
windows, such as Flash development. Plus my PhpED license is for the
Windows client, so I feel kind of trapped there :)

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Unlimited Hosting Plans start @ $3.95/month. Promo
Code "NEWTHINGS" for 10% off initial order

http://www.facebook.com/canishosting
http://www.facebook.com/originalpoetry
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 11:12 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:

> [...]

I run it under Wine. Wine has come a long way since my first encounters
with it a few years back and run a surprising amount of Windows-based
software. I don't know how far its support for Flash has come, but I do
remember running a version of Flash under Wine before. It was a bit
buggy (some dialogues didn't always work) and crashed more than it might
have normally on Windows, but it was OK at a push to get work done.
Nowadays I don't really do anything with Flash, as it's a pita to get it
optimised for search engines, accessibility just isn't up to scratch,
and it takes a lot longer to build a whole dynamic site with it.

<end type="flash bashing"/>

From: Dan Joseph on
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> I run it under Wine. Wine has come a long way since my first encounters
> with it a few years back and run a surprising amount of Windows-based
> software. I don't know how far its support for Flash has come, but I do
> remember running a version of Flash under Wine before. It was a bit
> buggy (some dialogues didn't always work) and crashed more than it might
> have normally on Windows, but it was OK at a push to get work done.
> Nowadays I don't really do anything with Flash, as it's a pita to get it
> optimised for search engines, accessibility just isn't up to scratch,
> and it takes a lot longer to build a whole dynamic site with it.

Yah, I'd never use it for a whole web site build either. Heck, probably
wouldn't even use it for an image carosel. We were building games with it,
which was really a no brainer to use flash. I didn't want to get into
Java.

I'll have to try it under wine sometime. I didn't even think about that.
But then again, my work machine is windows anyway.