From: Michiel Sikma on
On 23 April 2010 16:16, Kevin Kinsey <kdk(a)daleco.biz> wrote:

> I've still got a Win98 box in service somewhere around here; I use
> it for audio recording. Someone (possibly even me) renamed most
> of the desktop icons ... OE's shortcut is "Outluck Depress". :-)
>
> Kevin D. Kinsey

Say what you will about Windows 9x systems, but they (and especially Windows
95) ran rather well on just 60 MHz.
Sure, computers are constantly getting faster, but fortunately software
developers keep coming up with new ways to make us wait. :)

Michiel
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 15:44 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:

> On 23 April 2010 16:16, Kevin Kinsey <kdk(a)daleco.biz> wrote:
>

> > I've still got a Win98 box in service somewhere around here; I use
> > it for audio recording. Someone (possibly even me) renamed most
> > of the desktop icons ... OE's shortcut is "Outluck Depress". :-)
> >
> > Kevin D. Kinsey
> >

> Say what you will about Windows 9x systems, but they (and especially Windows
> 95) ran rather well on just 60 MHz.
> Sure, computers are constantly getting faster, but fortunately software
> developers keep coming up with new ways to make us wait. :)
>
> Michiel

Sounds like a decent reason to try Linux then. Linux performs pretty
admirably on older kit.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Per Jessen on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:

>>=20
>> Is there an actual WoW client for Linux or you run in Wine like
>> environment?
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> Tommy
>>=20
>=20
> I run it under Wine. Wine has come a long way since my first
> encounters with it a few years back and run a surprising amount of
> Windows-based software.=20

Doesn't WoW need DirectX and all that? I have some old Windows games
(Diablo, Alpha Centauri, Railroad Tycoon, Wolfenstein) I'd love to play=

under Wine, but so far I've not managed to make them work.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (19.7=C2=B0C)

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 16:14 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>

> >> Is there an actual WoW client for Linux or you run in Wine like
> >> environment?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Tommy
> >>

> > I run it under Wine. Wine has come a long way since my first
> > encounters with it a few years back and run a surprising amount of
> > Windows-based software.
>
> Doesn't WoW need DirectX and all that? I have some old Windows games
> (Diablo, Alpha Centauri, Railroad Tycoon, Wolfenstein) I'd love to play
> under Wine, but so far I've not managed to make them work.
>

> --
> Per Jessen, Zürich (19.7°C)

It can use OpenGL too. Just call it like this:

wine Wow.exe -opengl

and it will run in OpenGL mode. The only issue I've noticed is that Wine
doesn't play well when it comes to sound, so I have to turn off things
like Amarok when I want to play WoW.

From: Michiel Sikma on
On 24 April 2010 16:14, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>

> >> Is there an actual WoW client for Linux or you run in Wine like
> >> environment?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Tommy
> >>

> > I run it under Wine. Wine has come a long way since my first
> > encounters with it a few years back and run a surprising amount of
> > Windows-based software.
>
> Doesn't WoW need DirectX and all that? I have some old Windows games
> (Diablo, Alpha Centauri, Railroad Tycoon, Wolfenstein) I'd love to play
> under Wine, but so far I've not managed to make them work.

The best way to run old games is via DOSBox. http://www.dosbox.com/ If you
have an Intel machine it should run pretty well (at least the latest version
will; some repos still have the old 0.65 version which is significantly
slower).

Michiel