From: Per Jessen on
Michiel Sikma wrote:

> On 24 April 2010 16:14, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
>=20

>> > I run it under Wine. Wine has come a long way since my first
>> > encounters with it a few years back and run a surprising amount of=

>> > Windows-based software.
>>
>> Doesn't WoW need DirectX and all that? I have some old Windows game=
>> (Diablo, Alpha Centauri, Railroad Tycoon, Wolfenstein) I'd love to
>> play under Wine, but so far I've not managed to make them work.
>>

> The best way to run old games is via DOSBox. http://www.dosbox.com/=20=

Yes, I do use that too, but will it also run Windows games??=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (13.1=C2=B0C)

From: Michiel Sikma on
On 25 April 2010 09:31, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:

> >> Doesn't WoW need DirectX and all that? I have some old Windows games
> >> (Diablo, Alpha Centauri, Railroad Tycoon, Wolfenstein) I'd love to
> >> play under Wine, but so far I've not managed to make them work.
> >>

> > The best way to run old games is via DOSBox. http://www.dosbox.com/
>
> Yes, I do use that too, but will it also run Windows games??

Ah, you're right, I misread. But I believe all of those games except Diablo
will run under DOS as well. DOSBox can also run up to Windows 3.11.

Michiel
From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Michiel Sikma,

> Ah, you're right, I misread. But I believe all of those games except Diablo
> will run under DOS as well. DOSBox can also run up to Windows 3.11.

WfW 3.11 in fullscreen? Hahaha! LOL!

I can imagine, my AMD Phenom Quad-Core with 16 GByte of memory and then
WfW 3.11 in fullscreen in DOSBox. Would be the fastest WfW 3.11 on our
shady planet...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator

itsystems(a)tdnet France itsystems(a)tdnet UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Gesch. Michelle Konzack Gesch. Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 13:30 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Hello Michiel Sikma,
>
> Am 2010-04-25 12:21:40, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
> > Ah, you're right, I misread. But I believe all of those games except Diablo
> > will run under DOS as well. DOSBox can also run up to Windows 3.11.
>
> WfW 3.11 in fullscreen? Hahaha! LOL!
>
> I can imagine, my AMD Phenom Quad-Core with 16 GByte of memory and then
> WfW 3.11 in fullscreen in DOSBox. Would be the fastest WfW 3.11 on our
> shady planet...
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
> Michelle Konzack
> Systemadministrator

Windows 3.11, damn that takes me back a bit! That was my first ever
encounter with Windows (although I did try Windows 2 a little bit after
the first time I played on 3.11)

>From what I remember, it was damn fast, but that might be because it
didn't really have to do much at all. 16-bit with no proper program
switching. I think you can still get a KDE theme to make your Linux
system look like one of those old 3.11 systems! I don't think it reduces
the functionality to that of Windows 3.11 though. That would take some
real special skills :p

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk