From: Eeyore on

Phil Allison wrote:

> "Eeysore"
> >
> >> cabinet fire,
> >
> > That'll only happen if it's poorly installed.
>
> ** Not even possible.
>
> 1. The glass surface temp of a hot lamp will only slightly darken the
> surface of any plywood or particle board it is directly in contact with.
>
> 2. Where white polyester or acetate lining material is used and contacts the
> same hot glass, the material shrinks and darkens only.
>
> 3. Where yellow fibreglass type material is used - nothing happens.
>
> It is only with WRONGLY designed lamp installations that the lamps glow
> brightly other than on those normally rare occasions of sustained acoustic
> feedback.
>
> On the many such installations I have engineered over the past 25 years,
> even with disco music programme played at DEAFENING levels, there is no
> visible lamp glow.

I actually have a stage monitor to open up later today. It's one I recently
refurbed so I'm interested to see what's up. There are typically 2 of these
driven by an amp delivering 600W into 4 ohms.

I have come across plenty of blown protection lamps btw. I've no idea how hot
they can get in that condition.

The former idiot 'landlord / manager' thought because he played bass, he knew
something about audio. When the lamps blew he *linked them out* and then blew
the HF drivers. When the HF drivers blew he either threw the monitors in the
shed or fitted piezos in place (which then also blew of course) and threw the HF
drivers and flares AWAY or bought some really crappy second hand monitors to
replace them, whereupon the 'new second-hand monitors' rapidly lost their HF
units too ! I kinda 'gave up' on the venue when it went through this phase.

The lamps in those monitors were well-known for a lot more than *glowing* btw.
Even the protection lamps in the EV 'top boxes' (QRx 212/75) have blown too. EV
charge an outrageous sum for them but without knowing what the spec is there's
little you can do other than cough up.

Graham

From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> Graham is a total twit. I probably have done a hundred gigs for every
> one he's done- and blown less drivers.

The above was about the local venue who have various ppl doing the sound engineeringand
the gear gets hammered sometimes. It needs to be 'gorilla proof' and DJ proof. too
actually.

I've very rarely blown drivers. In fact I can only think of one occasion where two went.
They weren't protected. Rather fragile RCF units.

Graham

From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> If the OP really wants lamps, just buy Eminence crossovers- they
> already have lamps and are cheap.

Very small lamps designed to protect their APT series tweeters, not an 80W JBL driver.

Don't lecture about hardware- you haven't a clue about it.

Graham

From: Eeyore on

Phildo wrote:

> <non-biz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I know- thats why im trying to ask who i think are experts but your
> > proving me wrong with your upity responses.
>
> Sadly you have encountered two of the biggest cretins on the group - Mr
> Assillon and Graham (Eeyore). Assillon is mentally ill, Graham used to be a
> respected poster (and created or stole designs for studiomaster) but has had
> a nervous breakdown recently and is now regarded as little more than a
> figure of fun. You are best off ignoring both these posters along with one
> Arny Kruger and Mike Dobony. Pretty much everyone else is worth listening
> to.

Phildo is the local clown / village idiot.

He's never been the same after a near-death experience from over-eating.

Graham

From: Ian on
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:35:28 GMT, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have come across plenty of blown protection lamps btw. I've no idea how hot
>they can get in that condition.
>
>Graham

Hot, but not hot enough to set fire to anything inside a speaker
cabinet. I've had quite a few lamps fail, but in all but a couple of
cases the lamps have failed for simple mechanical reasons, such as
broken filaments or old age. A simple autopsy of the lamp and
examination of the filament will indicate the type of failure.

http://www.tcforensic.com.au/docs/article10.html

The link above has the phycial ignition points etc for a variety of
materials.

From my own measurements lamps with a non contact hand held
thermometer show envelope (globe) temperares in the 15-100W regular
incadescent (GE/Sylvania etc) bulbs from 80�C to 280�C Those figures
are based on an ambient temperature of 25�C.

Cheers,
Ian

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: first gig on ls9
Next: Peavey Subcompact 18 - Black Widow