From: Paul Stamler on
"Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
> > In the digital world, you have an outrageous amount of dynamic range
> > available at the recorder. So you can compress things afterward, once
> > you get the recording made. This gives you a chance to fiddle around
> > with settings to avoid audible artifacts like the background noise
pumping
> > and exaggerated P-popping. The noise floor on the recording is limited
> > by the mike preamps more than anything else, so doing the compression
> > before the recorder or after the recorder gives you the same results.
> >

> CD's are going directly from recorder to duplicator. There will be no
> editing. Recordings on Friday. CD's available on Friday night and
> Saturday morning. Right now we have over 300 people registered for the
> conference and expect that many to sign up at the door. There are going
> be about 8-10 separate recordings available. I don't know that we have
> anybody available to even edit if we wanted to. I have other duties
before
> and after the breakout sessions.
>
> > So you can turn the level way down so that yelling doesn't clip
anything,
> > and bring the rest up in post, without the noise floor a huge issue.
> >

> And then the normal parts are too soft.
>
> > It's sure a better world than when folks were using those Marantz
cassette
> > decks for this kind of work, and living with the AGC pumping up and down
> > throughout the whole thing.
>
> True, IF you have the time available to adjust afterwards. We don't.

Then hire a good live-recording engineer to ride herd on the levels. One who
knows how to mix in real time. Hint: TV talk show experience is a good sign.

Peace,
Paul

From: Tim Perry on
> True, IF you have the time available to adjust afterwards. We don't.
>
> Mike D.

Mike, for this I use an Aphex Compellor or a gated compressor set slow-med
attack, slow release to emulate one. The dubbers, video guys, TV or radio
guys I send to love it.

The DEQ has lots of features and may work for this but I couldnt gaurentee
it... I use one for main L/R and one for delay or mons.
Lately I have been using Dynamic EQ to boost vocals on low passages.

You will have to unlock stereo linking in utilities. You will lose the
stereo width feature when you do this.

From: 0junk4me on

On 2008-06-17 pstamlerhell(a)pobox.com said:
>>we have anybody available to even edit if we wanted to. I have
>other duties before
>> and after the breakout sessions.
>> > So you can turn the level way down so that yelling doesn't clip
>anything,
>Then hire a good live-recording engineer to ride herd on the levels.
>One who knows how to mix in real time. Hint: TV talk show
>experience is a good sign.
I'd agree with Paul, nad I don't know which group you're
actually reading, so I removed r.a.p. from the crosspost and
just posted this to aapls.

THis isn't rocket science MIke. IF you can't find somebody
local that can do it, and you should, as the man says, hire
somebody.
I believe you're somewhere in the midwest. IF you really
care about the live presentation and can't delegate some of
the other jobs, then you need to hire somebody that's good
at this.

IF there's nobody you know of, tell us actually where this
is going to take place. I'm sure there's somebody within a
few hours' travel would be qualified and would be willing to
work the event for reasonable pay at the end of the gig.

I"ve done plenty of these sort of gigs over the years, and
many without any signal processing other than manually
riding gain. The recordings always turned out quite nicely
for what they are, even in the old days of the cassette deck
with agc. My goal was to keep the agc from pumping and keep
the levels reasonably constant.

Again, this isn't rocket science. YOu should be able to
find somebody who's had enough experience. Radio and TV
folks who've run the board for talking head programs have
some experience here.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

From: Mike Dobony on
On 17 Jun 2008 15:27:42 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Mike Dobony <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote:
>>> It's sure a better world than when folks were using those Marantz cassette
>>> decks for this kind of work, and living with the AGC pumping up and down
>>> throughout the whole thing.
>>
>>True, IF you have the time available to adjust afterwards. We don't.
>
> If you're recording onto CF and then dumping the file to a CD on a PC,
> the software on the PC should allow you to do that in the dumping process.
> Once you get the parameters right, you just use the same batch command every
> time.

Nope, a regular dedicated CD recorder

From: Mike Dobony on
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:05:54 -0400, Tim Perry wrote:

>> True, IF you have the time available to adjust afterwards. We don't.
>>
>> Mike D.
>
> Mike, for this I use an Aphex Compellor or a gated compressor set slow-med
> attack, slow release to emulate one. The dubbers, video guys, TV or radio
> guys I send to love it.

I saw a stand-alone compressor around here somewhere that was not being
used. If I find it before the conference I might go ahead and use it. It
would be much better than the simple one on the DEQ.

> The DEQ has lots of features and may work for this but I couldnt gaurentee
> it... I use one for main L/R and one for delay or mons.
> Lately I have been using Dynamic EQ to boost vocals on low passages.
>
> You will have to unlock stereo linking in utilities. You will lose the
> stereo width feature when you do this.

I don't care about stereo. It is only speaking, so stereo has no benefit.
I would Y out to the CD recorder unless it has a mono record feature. I
still haven't seen it.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: DEQ2496 Software