From: John Williamson on
Mike Dobony wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:12:36 -0700, Richard Crowley wrote:
>
>> "Arny Krueger" wrote ...
>>> "Mike Dobony" wrote
>>> Stay behind the speakers. Most serious venues are designed so that the
>>> loudpeakers are always in front of the performers.
>> Or use a headset mic close to the mouth so you can increase
>> the gain before feedback. And be sure to be speaking in a
>> space with good acoustics so the reinforcement system doesn't
>> have to work so hard.
>
> Being that selective is stupid for both performers and speakers, especially
> those with life-altering or life-protecting messages.

I've been lurking on the sidelines here, & the thought strikes me that
if the message is *that* important, it's worth investing a few minutes
in learning how to get the best communication possible between audience
& lecturer/ performer.

You can't communicate effectively if your message can't be heard, so
spending a few moments with the microphone user running through the best
way to get heard is well worth the effort. To be honest, it's not rocket
science. If they then ignore it, you've tried. If they listen & do it
right, then everyone wins. (Diplomacy is needed....)

Just my 2 penn'orth.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
From: Arny Krueger on
"Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:07:37 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:
>
>> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in
>> message news:kckx95e5pmi2$.1vh3gvjoi5v8c.dlg(a)40tude.net

>>> These are NOT performers, but teachers.

>> So what? The laws of acoustics apply equally to both.

> So what?

You don't get to say "so what" about the laws of physics. It's a lot like
trying to argue with God.

> Teachers shouldn't be limited by technology,
> but empowered by it.

Agreed, but irrelevant to any discussion of the limits enforced by the laws
of phyiscs.

> Limiting contact with the audience
> is not empowering or effective.

In my book, not loud enough, or feedback are pretty severe limits on contact
with the audience.

>That is why I like the FBD and compressors.

????

> Used carefully combined with using
> the body as a shield between the mic and speaker and
> staying as far away from the speaker as possible are
> proven techniques of not crippling the teacher/speaker.

How does putting the loudspeakers between the audience and the lecturer
cripple?

>>> Sticking to "serious venues" is not an option.

>> Putting the speakers so that acoustic feedback is hard
>> to avoid is not wise.

> When given a choice, I agree. What about when the
> equipment available and room do not allow that?

Is that your situation, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

> Are you
> going to be a coward and give up because you don't have
> excellent conditions or are you going to use the tools
> available to overcome the obstacles to the best of your
> ability?

I overcome obstacles but my solutions have to fit within the laws of
physics.;

>> The advice to use headset mics is IME, good advice. But
>> it isn't a panacea.

> Acoustically I agree, but logistically it would not have
> been a good option at the time I purchased the lav.

Frankly, I don't see a lot of real-world situations where purchasing a lav
still makes sense.

> A headset would have simply been ripped from my head from
> centrifugal force.

You mean your head was spinning that fast?

From: Mike Dobony on
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:30:45 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:

> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:07:37 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in
>>> message news:kckx95e5pmi2$.1vh3gvjoi5v8c.dlg(a)40tude.net

>>> So what? The laws of acoustics apply equally to both.
>
>> So what?
>
> You don't get to say "so what" about the laws of physics. It's a lot like
> trying to argue with God.

I get to say "so what" because you are ignoring the situation. Effective
teachers/lectureres go INTO the audience. The use of a FBD allows much
higher SPL levels.

>> Teachers shouldn't be limited by technology,
>> but empowered by it.
>
> Agreed, but irrelevant to any discussion of the limits enforced by the laws
> of phyiscs.

There are tools available to "push" the limits, like compressors and FBD's.

>> Limiting contact with the audience
>> is not empowering or effective.
>
> In my book, not loud enough, or feedback are pretty severe limits on contact
> with the audience.

So? The proper and appropriate use of good eqing and a FBD pushes back
those limits so that the volume can be sufficient in most cases and still
allow the teacher to enter the audience to interact with them.

>>That is why I like the FBD and compressors.
>
> ????

Do you need some elementary education in the use of compressors and FBD's?

>> Used carefully combined with using
>> the body as a shield between the mic and speaker and
>> staying as far away from the speaker as possible are
>> proven techniques of not crippling the teacher/speaker.
>
> How does putting the loudspeakers between the audience and the lecturer
> cripple?

How do you get the loudspeakers between the audience and the lecturer when
the lecturer is IN the audience, where a *good* teacher needs to be?

>>> Putting the speakers so that acoustic feedback is hard
>>> to avoid is not wise.
>
>> When given a choice, I agree. What about when the
>> equipment available and room do not allow that?
>
> Is that your situation, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

It is my situation and a common situation for a real professional. If you
can only mix in excellent conditions, you are not a pro.

>> Are you
>> going to be a coward and give up because you don't have
>> excellent conditions or are you going to use the tools
>> available to overcome the obstacles to the best of your
>> ability?
>
> I overcome obstacles but my solutions have to fit within the laws of
> physics.;

And the marvel of modern electronics uses one law to push the envelop of
another, much like the physics of rocketry and aerodynamics to overcome the
law of gravity.

>>> The advice to use headset mics is IME, good advice. But
>>> it isn't a panacea.
>
>> Acoustically I agree, but logistically it would not have
>> been a good option at the time I purchased the lav.
>
> Frankly, I don't see a lot of real-world situations where purchasing a lav
> still makes sense.

I personally prefer the headset, but see below.

>> A headset would have simply been ripped from my head from
>> centrifugal force.
>
> You mean your head was spinning that fast?

Yes, jumping, spinning roundhouse in TKD demonstrations.

Mike D.
From: Mike Dobony on
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:57:16 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

> Mike Dobony wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:12:36 -0700, Richard Crowley wrote:
>>
>>> "Arny Krueger" wrote ...
>>> Or use a headset mic close to the mouth so you can increase
>>> the gain before feedback. And be sure to be speaking in a
>>> space with good acoustics so the reinforcement system doesn't
>>> have to work so hard.
>>
>> Being that selective is stupid for both performers and speakers, especially
>> those with life-altering or life-protecting messages.
>
> I've been lurking on the sidelines here, & the thought strikes me that
> if the message is *that* important, it's worth investing a few minutes
> in learning how to get the best communication possible between audience
> & lecturer/ performer.
>
> You can't communicate effectively if your message can't be heard, so
> spending a few moments with the microphone user running through the best
> way to get heard is well worth the effort. To be honest, it's not rocket
> science. If they then ignore it, you've tried. If they listen & do it
> right, then everyone wins. (Diplomacy is needed....)
>
> Just my 2 penn'orth.

It's always nice when you have great equipment, a great room to work with,
and a highly trained speaker. Then there is reality. Preparing for the
worst is a wise strategy. When the worst doesn't happen, you're doing
great. When the worst happens, you look great because you are prepared.

I am limited by the equipment I have available. I am limited by the room
layout. I have no idea how skilled the speaker is and will have other
duties before the breakout sessions. There is a good likelihood that I may
not be able to be there 100% of the time. It would be foolish and
irresponsible to not make full use of the effective tools I have available.

Mike D.
From: 0junk4me on

John wrote:
>> Being that selective is stupid for both performers and speakers,
>>especially those with life-altering or life-protecting messages.
>I've been lurking on the sidelines here, & the thought strikes me
>that if the message is *that* important, it's worth investing a few
>minutes in learning how to get the best communication possible
>between audience & lecturer/ performer.
>You can't communicate effectively if your message can't be heard, so
>spending a few moments with the microphone user running through the
>best way to get heard is well worth the effort. To be honest, it's
>not rocket science. If they then ignore it, you've tried. If they
>listen & do it right, then everyone wins. (Diplomacy is needed....)
I would agree with John here. I was doing this before
anybody had ever heard of a feedback destroyer.
I spent some time working with the presenters ot help them
understand the microphone and the system enough to utilize
it effectively. sOme listened, others didn't.

I've also used RUpert's pan technique when configured in
stereo.
sOUnds to me like you're still trying to use gadgets to
solve human problems not easily soluble by gadgets. But
then, I"ve done this to put food on the table.

sEems to me you're dismissing a bunch of good advice, which
is presumably why you crossposted.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

Great audio is never heard by the average person, but bad
audio is heard by everyone.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: DEQ2496 Software
Next: C-Audio schematic?