From: Scott Dorsey on
Mike Dobony <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote:

>These are NOT performers, but teachers. Sticking to "serious venues" is
>not an option.

Then they'll just have to get used to the deafening feedback. Sorry about
that.
--scott
From: Scott Dorsey on
Mike Dobony <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote:

>> Or use a headset mic close to the mouth so you can increase
>> the gain before feedback. And be sure to be speaking in a
>> space with good acoustics so the reinforcement system doesn't
>> have to work so hard.
>
>Being that selective is stupid for both performers and speakers, especially
>those with life-altering or life-protecting messages.

Damn those silly rules of physics....
--scott
From: Ron Capik on
Mike Dobony wrote:

> < .....snip... >
>
> These are NOT performers, but teachers. Sticking to "serious venues" is
> not an option.

If they are teachers then they should also be learners, as
in they are (or at least should be) trainable. Don't sell them
short, give them some training. As for not being performers,
I believe teaching is very much a performance art.

Later...

Ron Capik

From: Rupert on
On Jun 18, 5:52 am, Mike Dobony <sw...(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 04:27:35 -0400, Tim Perry wrote:
> > "Mike Dobony" <sw...(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

> > slow-med
> > radio
>
> >> I saw a stand-alone compressor around here somewhere that was not being
> >> used.  If I find it before the conference I might go ahead and use it.  It
> >> would be much better than the simple one on the DEQ.

> > gaurentee

> >> I don't care about stereo.  It is only speaking, so stereo has no benefit.
>
> > When a dweeb with  wireless walks in front of the speaker you can drop that
> > one leaving the other up full.
>
> Why do you call them a dweeb?  A speaker who stays in one spot is a poor
> speaker.  The best speakers are those who are involved with the audience
> and intersperse in the crowd.  They draw the audience in by going to the
> audience. This involves going in front of speakers.  You are way to biased
> towards music.  Public speaking has a whole new set of rules.  This is a
> greta application for the FBD.

Tim is absolutely right. You need to maintain a stereo mix so you can
pan the speaker out of the stack they're walking near or in front of
to prevent feedback. I use this technique all the time in similar
situation. A mono system is not a good call for these types of gigs.

Rupert
From: Mike Dobony on
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:07:37 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:

> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

>>> Stay behind the speakers. Most serious venues are
>>> designed so that the loudpeakers are always in front of
>>> the performers.
>
>> These are NOT performers, but teachers.
>
> So what? The laws of acoustics apply equally to both.

So what? Teachers shouldn't be limited by technology, but empowered by it.
Limiting contact with the audience is not empowering or effective. That is
why I like the FBD and compressors. Used carefully combined with using the
body as a shield between the mic and speaker and staying as far away from
the speaker as possible are proven techniques of not crippling the
teacher/speaker.

>> Sticking to "serious venues" is not an option.
>
> Putting the speakers so that acoustic feedback is hard to avoid is not wise.

When given a choice, I agree. What about when the equipment available and
room do not allow that? Are you going to be a coward and give up because
you don't have excellent conditions or are you going to use the tools
available to overcome the obstacles to the best of your ability?

> The advice to use headset mics is IME, good advice. But it isn't a panacea.

Acoustically I agree, but logistically it would not have been a good option
at the time I purchased the lav. A headset would have simply been ripped
from my head from centrifugal force.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: DEQ2496 Software
Next: C-Audio schematic?