From: Ron Capik on
Mike Dobony wrote:

> >>True, IF you have the time available to adjust afterwards. We don't.
> >
> > If you're recording onto CF and then dumping the file to a CD on a PC,
> > the software on the PC should allow you to do that in the dumping process.
> > Once you get the parameters right, you just use the same batch command every
> > time.
> >

> Nope, a regular dedicated CD recorder
>
> > Otherwise, try an RNC in super-nice mode, which combines a soft knee at
> > low levels with a harder one at higher levels.
> > --scott

One wonders: why bother asking when your limitations seem
to be pre set. quite narrowly defined and seriously time limited?
One would hope you at least learn from this dialog to plan
further ahead...

Best of luck with your program.

Later...

Ron Capik

From: Mike Dobony on
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:27:00 GMT, 0junk4me(a)bellsouth.net wrote:

> On 2008-06-17 pstamlerhell(a)pobox.com said:
> >>we have anybody available to even edit if we wanted to. I have
> >other duties before
> >> and after the breakout sessions.
> >anything,
> >Then hire a good live-recording engineer to ride herd on the levels.
> >One who knows how to mix in real time. Hint: TV talk show
> >experience is a good sign.
> I'd agree with Paul, nad I don't know which group you're
> actually reading, so I removed r.a.p. from the crosspost and
> just posted this to aapls.
>
> THis isn't rocket science MIke. IF you can't find somebody
> local that can do it, and you should, as the man says, hire
> somebody.
> I believe you're somewhere in the midwest. IF you really
> care about the live presentation and can't delegate some of
> the other jobs, then you need to hire somebody that's good
> at this.
>
> IF there's nobody you know of, tell us actually where this
> is going to take place. I'm sure there's somebody within a
> few hours' travel would be qualified and would be willing to
> work the event for reasonable pay at the end of the gig.
>
> I"ve done plenty of these sort of gigs over the years, and
> many without any signal processing other than manually
> riding gain. The recordings always turned out quite nicely
> for what they are, even in the old days of the cassette deck
> with agc. My goal was to keep the agc from pumping and keep
> the levels reasonably constant.
>
> Again, this isn't rocket science. YOu should be able to
> find somebody who's had enough experience. Radio and TV
> folks who've run the board for talking head programs have
> some experience here.

I have until Friday morning to find one and I have no budget to work with.
My only responsibility for sound is to get this one location set up and
want to be prepared for the worst case, getting pulled off to troubleshoot
elsewhere. Reality? Right now I may only have time to set up the EQ and
nothing more.

From: Mike Dobony on
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:56:32 +0100, Laurence Payne wrote:

>>I basically agree, but you can't fix clipping. Compression on the FOH
>>would be limited to mainly keep from clipping.
>
> Where would clipping be happening? There is the potential for
> clipping at the first interface with the microphone. You must adjust
> input sensitivity so this will not happen. maybe this includes
> chosing compatible microphone and preamp. From then on, there
> shouldn't be anything in a modern mixer and digital recording system
> that can't handle as much dynamic range as a mic can provide.

No choices to make. I only have one mic available, one preamp available.
Recordings of my own speaking has occasional clipping at my max volume and
it sounds pretty bad. Normal volume is peaking at 0 dbv. Then again, some
of the people recording were not trained by me and they refused to learn
the proper way to mix. All they could do was turn channels on and off and
thought that was acceptable.

Mild compression would solve the problem. Normal voice sounds good and
occasional loud voices would/should not clip if the problem is simply in
the recording device (the meters on mixer look good). I don't know how
good this CD recorder is and how much it can handle. The one in the sound
booth here is great (pro grade), but will not be available to me. I don't
know if the one I will be using is even pro grade. If I am not pulled off
for any reason I can handle anything manually like I do every other Sunday
morning. If I am pulled away for any reason ? ? ? I mainly like the idea
of insurance. I still may not have time to even set up the compressor, so
this whole discussion may be only theory.
From: Mike Dobony on
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:27:00 GMT, 0junk4me(a)bellsouth.net wrote:

> On 2008-06-17 pstamlerhell(a)pobox.com said:
> >>we have anybody available to even edit if we wanted to. I have
> >other duties before
> >> and after the breakout sessions.
> >anything,
> >Then hire a good live-recording engineer to ride herd on the levels.
> >One who knows how to mix in real time. Hint: TV talk show
> >experience is a good sign.
> I'd agree with Paul, nad I don't know which group you're
> actually reading, so I removed r.a.p. from the crosspost and
> just posted this to aapls.
>
> THis isn't rocket science MIke. IF you can't find somebody
> local that can do it, and you should, as the man says, hire
> somebody.
> I believe you're somewhere in the midwest. IF you really
> care about the live presentation and can't delegate some of
> the other jobs, then you need to hire somebody that's good
> at this.
>
> IF there's nobody you know of, tell us actually where this
> is going to take place. I'm sure there's somebody within a
> few hours' travel would be qualified and would be willing to
> work the event for reasonable pay at the end of the gig.
>
> I"ve done plenty of these sort of gigs over the years, and
> many without any signal processing other than manually
> riding gain. The recordings always turned out quite nicely
> for what they are, even in the old days of the cassette deck
> with agc. My goal was to keep the agc from pumping and keep
> the levels reasonably constant.
>
> Again, this isn't rocket science. YOu should be able to
> find somebody who's had enough experience. Radio and TV
> folks who've run the board for talking head programs have
> some experience here.
>

> Richard webb,
> replace anything before at with elspider

I don't have authority to hire anybody to do it. I am the only one around
that knows how to troubleshoot the equipment (also the go-to guy for all
around building maintenance) and so *might* get pulled off to do something
else. I would rather have extra sound techs to do that, but all available
will be doing their own thing. I just want to be smart and be prepared for
the "unexpected." Don't you prepare for the "unexpected?"
From: Mike Dobony on
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:06:30 GMT, Ron Capik wrote:

> Mike Dobony wrote:

>>> If you're recording onto CF and then dumping the file to a CD on a PC,
>>> the software on the PC should allow you to do that in the dumping process.
>>> Once you get the parameters right, you just use the same batch command every
>>> time.
>>>

>> Nope, a regular dedicated CD recorder
>>
>>> Otherwise, try an RNC in super-nice mode, which combines a soft knee at
>>> low levels with a harder one at higher levels.
>>> --scott
>
> One wonders: why bother asking when your limitations seem
> to be pre set. quite narrowly defined and seriously time limited?
> One would hope you at least learn from this dialog to plan
> further ahead...
>
> Best of luck with your program.
>

> Later...
>
> Ron Capik

My limitations are narrowly defined and preset because I have limited
authority over the sound reinforcement and recording.

I only found out about doing this last Thursday. I was not given much time
to prepare. I was expecting to be involved in other areas.

My main question, which I really didn't ask well (quick A/C break), was
whether to use the aux to record or L or R channel mains with the
record-only mic panned to one side to record. The use of the compressor to
be able to cover the recording in case I am pulled away from it is pretty
much fixed, assuming I get time to set it up. I still have to put my kit
back together and repair cables, along with more building maintenance
tomorrow and possibly Thursday. There might be enough people here Thursday
to take care of that and that would free me up to set up and fully test the
sound equipment. As it is, tomorrow is a VERY, VERY busy and long day.
Very little time will be available to get the sound set up. I still have
to purchase some cables, but don't know what I need for the speakers yet.
Some of our speaker cables disappeared again.

Mike D.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: DEQ2496 Software