From: Jenn on
"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <hpl6ef$2n1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...
>> You used the wikipedia definition of Intenet troll to back up your
>> premise
>> about off-topic posts... that definition includes the idea that calling
>> anyone a troll would also apply the definition to their bent towards
>> posting
>> off-topic posts...
>>
>> Meaning.. the application of the term troll ... would include the part of
>> off-topic posts ... would also be highly subjective and could be taken
>> just
>> as equally by others as an on-topic post.
>>

> To do as you suggest you would have to ignore the first parts that I
> posted, defining what is OFF-TOPIC based on the groups name/topic.
>
> Thanks for showing, based on your last line, that his posts follow the
> definition of "off-topic" as well as his own suggestion that chaos is
> permitted because he wants it and doesn't care about the standards or
> rules.

No.. by using the wikipedia definition, you open the door for discounting
your premise because the definition is subjective.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

From: Leythos on
In article <hpl8jl$a6i$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...

> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> > In article <hpl6ef$2n1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...
> >> You used the wikipedia definition of Intenet troll to back up your
> >> premise
> >> about off-topic posts... that definition includes the idea that calling
> >> anyone a troll would also apply the definition to their bent towards
> >> posting
> >> off-topic posts...
> >>
> >> Meaning.. the application of the term troll ... would include the part of
> >> off-topic posts ... would also be highly subjective and could be taken
> >> just
> >> as equally by others as an on-topic post.
> >>

> > To do as you suggest you would have to ignore the first parts that I
> > posted, defining what is OFF-TOPIC based on the groups name/topic.
> >
> > Thanks for showing, based on your last line, that his posts follow the
> > definition of "off-topic" as well as his own suggestion that chaos is
> > permitted because he wants it and doesn't care about the standards or
> > rules.
> >

> No.. by using the wikipedia definition, you open the door for discounting
> your premise because the definition is subjective.

Hardly, you discounted the definitions of "Off-Topic" because you don't
like the definition of "Troll", the intent of "Troll" was to show that
trolls often post off-topic, but you can't dismiss that the continued
posts he's made are off-topic.

Off-Topic is not subjective.

Trust yourself.
From: Jenn on
> In article <hpl8jl$a6i$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...
>>
>> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
>> > In article <hpl6ef$2n1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> > me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...

>> > To do as you suggest you would have to ignore the first parts that I
>> > posted, defining what is OFF-TOPIC based on the groups name/topic.
>> >
>> > Thanks for showing, based on your last line, that his posts follow the
>> > definition of "off-topic" as well as his own suggestion that chaos is
>> > permitted because he wants it and doesn't care about the standards or
>> > rules.

>> No.. by using the wikipedia definition, you open the door for discounting
>> your premise because the definition is subjective.

> Hardly, you discounted the definitions of "Off-Topic" because you don't
> like the definition of "Troll", the intent of "Troll" was to show that
> trolls often post off-topic, but you can't dismiss that the continued
> posts he's made are off-topic.

I discounted the definition of *Off-Topic* because you used the wikipedia
definition of internet troll which includes that term within the definition
of *internet Troll*. If you were to use a different source that does not
have that addition *Usage* section that says the definition is *subjective*,
then I would not have a premise to challenge you.

> Off-Topic is not subjective.

Yes it is subjective... Have you ever does this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_Topic
It is a common courtesy to mark a new off-topic posting or email by
beginning it with "OT"[citation needed] - for example in a forum discussing
the Linux operating system someone might post: "OT: Wow, did you feel that
earthquake?".

If you don't, yet you claim to label others as posting off-topic material,
wouldn't that make every post subjective that you consider to be off-topic
since you also post off-topic? I've never seen anyone do this, yet, I've
many many claims about off-topic material and added notations that people
should begin new threads or take it elsewhere, yet, no one ever does.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

From: Leythos on
In article <hpl9lo$dmh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...

> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> > In article <hpl8jl$a6i$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway says...
> >>
> >> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message

> >> No.. by using the wikipedia definition, you open the door for discounting
> >> your premise because the definition is subjective.
>

> > Hardly, you discounted the definitions of "Off-Topic" because you don't
> > like the definition of "Troll", the intent of "Troll" was to show that
> > trolls often post off-topic, but you can't dismiss that the continued
> > posts he's made are off-topic.
>
> I discounted the definition of *Off-Topic* because you used the wikipedia
> definition of internet troll which includes that term within the definition
> of *internet Troll*. If you were to use a different source that does not
> have that addition *Usage* section that says the definition is *subjective*,
> then I would not have a premise to challenge you.
>
> > Off-Topic is not subjective.
> >

> Yes it is subjective...

No, it's not subjective - if it's not about (in this group) ANTI-VIRUS
then it's off-topic by clear definition.

> Have you ever does this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_Topic
> It is a common courtesy to mark a new off-topic posting or email by
> beginning it with "OT"[citation needed] - for example in a forum discussing
> the Linux operating system someone might post: "OT: Wow, did you feel that
> earthquake?".

Yep, I've made the OT notation in the subject, to let others know it was
OT, but, in decades of Usenet use, I can count the number of off-topic
threads I've started on my fingers.

> If you don't, yet you claim to label others as posting off-topic
> material,
> wouldn't that make every post subjective that you consider to be off-topic
> since you also post off-topic? I've never seen anyone do this, yet, I've
> many many claims about off-topic material and added notations that people
> should begin new threads or take it elsewhere, yet, no one ever does.

Notice that this group is alt.comp.ANTI-VIRUS?

So, to address your OT lesson - why have you not mentioned this to BD?
He's been posting OT in this news group and many others, for many posts,
but he's not marking them OT, not started a new thread with OT, not
taking it somewhere else?

Trust yourself.
From: ~BD~ on
I say, old bean, how about taking this off topic discussion to email?

Be a good chap and follow Usenet protocol, eh? What!

Thanks a bunch! ;)

--
Dave - With a wink to Jenn!