From: Denny Conn on
Phildo wrote:

> It's called humour (or humor for you septics).

I thought humour was supposed to be funny...

-------->Denny

--
Life begins at 60...1.060, that is.
From: Phildo on

"Ron(UK)" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> But arni or dobby aren't mentioned in a lot of threads until you bring
> them into it. If you must find it necessary to take a shot at them, why
> not just wait till one of them chimes in with inappropriate advice?

I saw a good opportunity for a shot, I took it.

If they did the decent thing and either stopped posting here or posted
according to their live sound abilities there wouldn't be a problem. Instead
of moaning at the person trying to clean up the mess why don't you help out
yourself? Do you run out and shout at your dustmen?

Phildo

From: na on

"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

> " na" <na(a)na.com> wrote in message news:1j2mt4.r1q.17.1(a)news.alt.net...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone had occassion to try one of these gadgets out,
>> and if so, what is your opinion?
>>
>> http://www.earthworksaudio.com/32.html
>
> Looks like a real gimmick to me aimed at those who don't really have a
> clue what they are doing (I bet Arny & Bony have bought them).
>
> Kick drum sounds are dependant on microphone, drum tuning, the beater
> involved, the player and a whole load of other variables, not least the
> personal taste of the artist/engineer so it is impossible to put a magic
> kick sound that will suit everyone in to one little in-line gizmo.
>
> You are far better off learning how to get a good kick sound than wasting
> money on something like this. As a tool to help it might be useful but the
> advertising is misleading at best.
>
> Phildo

Thanks for the only response other than a flame war. For the record, yes I
do know about kick drums and micing them etc having worked in live music on
both sides of the fence for over thirty years now, so I guess it could be
said I do know what I'm doing.

I get jobs that entail everything from a 14-16" floor tom on its side acting
as a mini kick to a 26" DW mother-fucker banging away onstage, so I just
thought this little gadget might be, as you say, a useful tool to keep in
the mics case for the odd occasion when everything else fails.

Anyhow, I've got one on the way and will report back if anyone is
interested. Who knows, it just might be a winner and in a few months time,
everyone here will have one in their kit.

Cheers!

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 23/01/08 1:22, in article 1j2mt4.r1q.17.1(a)news.alt.net, "na" <na(a)na.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone had occassion to try one of these gadgets out, and
> if so, what is your opinion?
>
> http://www.earthworksaudio.com/32.html

I haven't encountered one yet, but I find the concept odd.

In my experience, sometimes you need a pad, sometimes you don't. And the EQ
applied to the kick changes a lot, depending on the room, the mic, the drum,
the player, etc.

So the idea of having always the same pad and the same EQ seems to be a
limitation to me.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Peter Larsen on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:

> In my experience, sometimes you need a pad, sometimes you don't.

I recall seening a multimeter deflect to 800 millivolts with an AKG mic
inside a kick drum conneted to it, one might as well connect that mic
directly to the poweramp of a "Dead style" column of say 8 15" K140
loudspeakers in ordinary bass reflex boxes.

> And
> the EQ applied to the kick changes a lot, depending on the room, the
> mic, the drum, the player, etc.

All of this is correct, but in case of a kick drum that is padded down to
sound like a cardboard box the required processing is in fact predictable.

> So the idea of having always the same pad and the same EQ seems to be
> a limitation to me.

At a guesstimate it turns a linear microphone into a "kick drum microphone"
by attenuating the midrange.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last