From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 24/01/08 1:46, in article 13pfnv0hidp2n41(a)corp.supernews.com,
"tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com" <tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

(...)

> I am a bit surprised as Earthworks does not have a reputation of selling
> junk, I am also surprised that this device doesn't say"Bose" on it
> george

The only people I can imagine who could possibly have a use for this gadget
are engineers who do sound for video and who work with ENG mixers like the
SQN-4. Or maybe purists who go mic-preamp-recorder, skipping the mixer.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Peter Larsen on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:

> On 24/01/08 1:46, in article 13pfnv0hidp2n41(a)corp.supernews.com,
> "tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com" <tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

>> I am a bit surprised as Earthworks does not have a reputation of
>> selling junk, I am also surprised that this device doesn't say"Bose"
>> on it george

> The only people I can imagine who could possibly have a use for this
> gadget are engineers who do sound for video and who work with ENG
> mixers like the SQN-4. Or maybe purists who go mic-preamp-recorder,
> skipping the mixer.

Back in the old days purists used took the pillow out of the drum, put an
iceland sweater into the drum and used a distant pair on the lot as if it
was chamber music .... amazingly the kick drum has to sound good to sound
good. Recently mastered a 3 CD set from such a recording, but the realistic
record company is scared of 3 CD sets .... guess I'll write the again and
volunteer to select a single CD. That recording is the reference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

From: gwatts on
Peter Larsen wrote:
> .... amazingly the kick drum has to sound good to sound
> good...

DING DING DING DING DING!

We have a winner!

Ok, Show of hands:
How many of you have (re)tuned a kick drum?

Uh-Hunh!

A word of advice guys: deodorant!
From: tbmoas58 on

"gwatts" <gwatts(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Peter Larsen wrote:
>> .... amazingly the kick drum has to sound good to sound good...
>

> DING DING DING DING DING!
>
> We have a winner!
>
> Ok, Show of hands:
> How many of you have (re)tuned a kick drum?
>
> Uh-Hunh!
>
> A word of advice guys: deodorant!

I would not TOUCH another musicians instrument
I have suggested they "make it sound punchier"
or
"is there anything YOU can do about that ring
but to go as far as touching someones instrument
it simply isn't done IMO
George

From: mcsteve on
"gwatts" wrote:
> Ok, Show of hands:
> How many of you have (re)tuned a kick drum?

Like George said, it's up to the musician to tune
his own instrument. Would you tune a guitar, if it was
"out"? No. You mention it to the player, and hope he
gets it right. Sometimes, a little diplomacy and
coaxing is needed.

As far as the variables go and the need to adapt
micing to get things dialed in....
I work at a venue with a house drum kit. So, it is
often the same kick drum on many nights. Even with
all the gear being the same (drum, mic, environment, etc)
a certain amount of flexibility is necessary. Some drummers
have a heavy foot, others kick like a girl. I've had to suffer
some really inept drummers who couldn't make a kick drum
sound like one if their life depended on it.

--
Steve <snip> McQ
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last