From: mcsteve on
"gwatts" ranted:
> You guys must find it interesting or fun to watch bands flounder when
> you know a little help would go along way. It must be gratifying to
> know you're damaging someone's musical career because you're too burnt
> out or too elitist

You chose to ignore this:

>>"Sometimes, a little diplomacy and
>> coaxing is needed."

I am not a drum tech. If a drum needs to be tuned, I ask the
drummer to do it. I will make suggestions as necessary.
Conversely, I do not expect band members to ring out the
monitors, or set up the mics. I do my job, they do theirs.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: tbmoas58 on

"gwatts" <gwatts(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> mcsteve wrote:
>> "gwatts" wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, Show of hands:
>>> How many of you have (re)tuned a kick drum?
>>>

>> Like George said, it's up to the musician to tune
>> his own instrument. Would you tune a guitar, if it was
>> "out"? No. You mention it to the player, and hope he
>> gets it right. Sometimes, a little diplomacy and
>> coaxing is needed.
>
> Sometimes the example by someone who has better experience is what's
> needed. I've never just grabbed someone's gear and gone after it, I've
> always suggested I be allowed to help and usually my offer is accepted,
> especially when the band isn't traveling with instrument techs. More than
> once I've helped out with someone's gear and been asked to come along and
> help out for a few more gigs, which frequently led to a few more gigs...
>
> You guys must find it interesting or fun to watch bands flounder when you
> know a little help would go along way. It must be gratifying to know
> you're damaging someone's musical career because you're too burnt out or
> too elitist to spend ten minutes helping someone get what they need that
> day. 'hope he gets it right'? You gonna hope he stays in the music
> business so you can hope he hires you again, too, or are you gonna give
> him a friendly push in the right direction that may pay off when he's
> making real money and remembers you as helpful?
>
>> As far as the variables go and the need to adapt
>> micing to get things dialed in....
>> I work at a venue with a house drum kit. So, it is
>> often the same kick drum on many nights. Even with
>> all the gear being the same (drum, mic, environment, etc)
>> a certain amount of flexibility is necessary. Some drummers
>> have a heavy foot, others kick like a girl. I've had to suffer some
>> really inept drummers who couldn't make a kick drum sound like one if
>> their life depended on it.
>
> And maybe you've figured out that not everything can be fixed by knob
> twisting or patching in more gear, or standing around hoping he gets it
> right.

and maybe someday the snot on your nose will dry son.
come back after your 4th birthday, OK, Lil Buddy
George

From: gwatts on
mcsteve wrote:
> "gwatts" ranted:
>
>> You guys must find it interesting or fun to watch bands flounder when
>> you know a little help would go along way. It must be gratifying to
>> know you're damaging someone's musical career because you're too burnt
>> out or too elitist
>

> You chose to ignore this:
>
>>> "Sometimes, a little diplomacy and
>>> coaxing is needed."

No I didn't, did you ignore 'suggested I be allowed to help' part?

> I am not a drum tech. If a drum needs to be tuned, I ask the
> drummer to do it. I will make suggestions as necessary.
> Conversely, I do not expect band members to ring out the
> monitors, or set up the mics. I do my job, they do theirs.

My job, as I see it, is to get the best sound possible and do what needs
to be done to get that. I guess I work with the benefit of having been
a drum tech, a guitar tech, a bass tech, a keyboard tech, (no brass or
reeds, though), the monitor engineer, the system tech, the A1, the
production manager, the venue crew chief... and I'm not afraid of using
any skill I have to get a better show.
From: gwatts on
tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:

> and maybe someday the snot on your nose will dry son.
> come back after your 4th birthday, OK, Lil Buddy
> George

LOL, I guess that makes you the end-all in live performance production.

I won't come back for your benefit, you obviously have nothing to learn
from anyone with any experience.
From: tbmoas58 on

> tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:
>>

>> and maybe someday the snot on your nose will dry son.
>> come back after your 4th birthday, OK, Lil Buddy
>> George
>
> LOL, I guess that makes you the end-all in live performance production.
>
> I won't come back for your benefit, you obviously have nothing to learn
> from anyone with any experience.

I dont need the experiances you've had
I don't swing for that team

but as far as being the hot shoe about live sound
I am ALL that
George

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11