From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 24/01/08 1:11, in article 01ede5db$0$15659$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com,
"Peter Larsen" <plarsen(a)mail.tele.dk> wrote:

> Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>
>> In my experience, sometimes you need a pad, sometimes you don't.
>
> I recall seening a multimeter deflect to 800 millivolts with an AKG mic
> inside a kick drum conneted to it, one might as well connect that mic
> directly to the poweramp of a "Dead style" column of say 8 15" K140
> loudspeakers in ordinary bass reflex boxes.

I believe that, but it does not mean that you _always_ need a pad. Who know
what console and what mic you're gonna have on the next gig.

>> And the EQ applied to the kick changes a lot, depending on the room, the mic,
>> the drum, the player, etc.
>
> All of this is correct, but in case of a kick drum that is padded down to
> sound like a cardboard box the required processing is in fact predictable.

Again, I agree, but at least in my neck of the woods this seems to go slowly
out of fashion. Not a bad thing, IMHO.

>> So the idea of having always the same pad and the same EQ seems to be
>> a limitation to me.
>
> At a guesstimate it turns a linear microphone into a "kick drum microphone"
> by attenuating the midrange.

And it takes away the freedom to create your own sound.

If everybody were to use presets, everybody would sound the same.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Phildo on

"Peter Larsen" <plarsen(a)mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>
>> In my experience, sometimes you need a pad, sometimes you don't.
>
> I recall seening a multimeter deflect to 800 millivolts with an AKG mic
> inside a kick drum conneted to it,

Ah, you've met Belle then [1]

Phildo

[1] I think only me and Joe K will get that one unless Alan is still
reading

From: tbmoas58 on

" na" <na(a)na.com> wrote in message news:1j5690.q38.17.1(a)news.alt.net...

> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>
>> " na" <na(a)na.com> wrote in message news:1j2mt4.r1q.17.1(a)news.alt.net...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone had occassion to try one of these gadgets out,
>>> and if so, what is your opinion?
>>>
>>> http://www.earthworksaudio.com/32.html
>>
>> Looks like a real gimmick to me

agreed
I can't imagine what it would do to my usual beta 91/d6 kick combo that will
deliver ANY kind of kick sound you can imagine

I am a bit surprised as Earthworks does not have a reputation of selling
junk, I am also surprised that this device doesn't say"Bose" on it
george

From: tbmoas58 on

> If everybody were to use presets, everybody would sound the same.

like the blows PAS system
George

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 24/01/08 1:22, in article 5vq41tF1mhp3pU1(a)mid.individual.net, "Phildo"
<Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote:

>> "Peter Larsen" <plarsen(a)mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
>>
>> I recall seening a multimeter deflect to 800 millivolts with an AKG mic
>> inside a kick drum conneted to it,
>
> Ah, you've met Belle then [1]
>
> Phildo
>
> [1] I think only me and Joe K will get that one unless Alan is still
> reading

Ah, Belle, the destroyer of kevlar drumheads and aluminium drumsticks. He
does this while wearing high heels and makeup.

Also, he could find employment as a human metronome, he must be among the
most consistent drummers I've head the pleasure working with.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11