From: Terryc on
Rod Speed wrote:

>> Cross Appin Road (A magic Line/dead zone) to say Glen Alpine
>> and most cannot even get a dial-up modem to connect,
>
> That is a bare faced lie.

Do you want to give the basis for your counter claim Rod?

From: Terryc on
Petzl wrote:

> I'm actually in Glen Alpine and have ASDL2+(but don't know anyone else
> who is? Maybe the odd exception?), the poor connection I'm told is
> because I'm 4.7K away (as the copperwire goes) from the Campbelltown
> exchange. Many cannot even get Dial-up (don't know about DSL?)

Umm, I think this is an own goal comment. I suspect you mean dial up at
max/useable speed. If the copper phone works, then they can get dial up.

The problem these days is that peeps haven't a clue on how to tweak
their modems for noisey lines to get best thru put.

From when I ran a couple of BBSs (over a decade ago), I don't remember
anyone specifically have dial up problems that they couldn't connect.

OTOH, with so much bloating around. it can be boringly slow when things
do work. So what was acceptale them, probably isn't now and Telstras
voice line standards are not tat much better than before.
From: Rod Speed on
Terryc wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Pretzl wrote

>>> Cross Appin Road (A magic Line/dead zone) to say Glen Alpine
>>> and most cannot even get a dial-up modem to connect,

>> That is a bare faced lie.

> Do you want to give the basis for your counter claim Rod?

It isnt a counter claim, its point out that that is a bare faced lie.

If there really were areas where most could not even have dailup, we'd know about it
and they would have been high on the list for DSL if there were plenty of people there.

From: Rod Speed on
Terryc wrote:
> Petzl wrote:

>> I'm actually in Glen Alpine and have ASDL2+(but don't know anyone else who is? Maybe the odd exception?), the poor
>> connection I'm told is because I'm 4.7K away (as the copperwire goes) from the Campbelltown exchange. Many cannot
>> even get Dial-up (don't know about DSL?)

> Umm, I think this is an own goal comment.

Corse it is.

> I suspect you mean dial up at max/useable speed.

Nope, he claimed the dialup modem wont synch up.

He's so stupid that he doesnt realise that just because one particular
modem has a problem, that does not mean that they all do there.

> If the copper phone works, then they can get dial up.

And clearly it works well enough for DSL2 too.

> The problem these days is that peeps haven't a clue on how to tweak their modems for noisey lines to get best thru
> put.

Or even which modems do better with those lines.

And it isnt usually noisy lines either, and cant be with the stupid claim that
most cant even get dialup, nowhere has such a high percentage of noisy lines.

Most likely its actually due to a few modem chipsets having a problem
with a particular type of line off RIMs or older pre RIM technology.

> From when I ran a couple of BBSs (over a decade ago), I don't remember
> anyone specifically have dial up problems that they couldn't connect.

Yeah, we would have heard about that area if that was so.

We certainly did with Brizvegas that did have a problem with the highest
connect speeds, due to longer non copper lines being more common there.

> OTOH, with so much bloating around. it can be boringly slow when
> things do work. So what was acceptale them, probably isn't now and
> Telstras voice line standards are not tat much better than before.

He did stupidly claim that the modem wont even connect at all.

From: Rod Speed on
SG1 wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

> How are your Telstra shares doing Roddles??????

Never stupid enough to have any.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: How frustrating