From: nospam on
In article <pc3ee5drvsi7vgentq1fo0g32m0e3jj6no(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> That's a bit harsh, but it is true that affordable dSLR cameras don't
> measure up to the top compact digitals like the Panasonic FZ35,

they not only measure up but they exceed it in just about every way
other than size and weight.

> and disingenuous to claim a dSLR for $400 is a reasonable alternative.

not at all.

> Even a budget Canon dSLR kit that still falls far short of the lens
> performance of the FZ35, for example, runs much more (at B&H):
> * Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital Camera (body only) . . $532.95
> * Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens . . $595.00
> Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,127.95

*that* is very disingenuous. not everyone wants or needs an 18-200mm
lens.

right now, b&h has a nikon d40 with lens for $469 and a canon rebel xs
with a lens for $499. the older pentax k110d and nikon d50 sold for
*under* 400.
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), -hh
<recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
<4097b861-be9e-44b5-9dcc-bef37472935c(a)t2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>:

>> > A bit larger than usual, but nothing like the dSLR approach.
>
>Where "a bit larger" is roughly 100%-300% more area versus a 1/2.5" or
>1/2.7". Hard to retain credibility when trying to trivialize such
>relative magnitudes of difference.

Canon S90 1/1.7" 43.3 mm�
Panasonic FZ28 1/2.33" sensor 28.5 mm�
Canon S90 sensor is thus 50% larger than the FZ28.
Apology accepted.

>> > What makes it special is the fast f/2.0 lens, high-sensitivity sensor,
>> > and advanced in-camera image processing.
>>
>> dslrs can do *better* than f/2, have an even higher sensitivity sensor
>> and more advanced image processing.
>
>Including write times to memory cards. IME, the newer P&Ss have
>gotten slower than older P&Ss.

Your experience must be with slower memory cards -- my Panasonic FZ28
with SanDisk Extreme III isn't limited by write time.

>> > Irrelevant -- dSLR is far more expensive.
>>
>> wrong. you can get a new dslr for $400, sometimes even less.
>
>Since John expressed a hypothetical willingness to pay 4x the price of
>a typical P&S, the proportionally appropriate factor of 4x taken
>against the price of an S90, would give us a $1600 budget to work
>with. Plenty of options & choices. And even if we do a simple
>linearization to a +$300 premium, that would afford a $700 budget;
>there's still several choices.

I've said nothing of the sort. What I have said is that even a budget
dSLR kit that still falls far short of the Panasonic FZ28 is on the
order of $1,128 (as I detailed in my earlier post to this thread), far
more expensive than the FZ28, and to get close to comparable quality,
it's more like $3,000 (Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
lens, as I've detailed in several prior posts to this forum).
Apology accepted.

p.s. I'm ignoring your usual slurs and misstatements.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 04:32:03 -0700 (PDT), -hh
<46c02d36-8d3e-4cf9-9743-4f1d6b982117(a)v30g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>:

>nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> -hh <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:

>> > Including write times to memory cards. �IME, the newer P&Ss have
>> > gotten slower than older P&Ss.
>>
>> for the most part, memory buffers make that a non-issue. it's very rare
>> that anyone is going to be limited by the speed of a card except in
>> very crappy cameras or the rare occasion of shooting a *lot* of photos
>> at once.
>
>I was specifically referring to the Canon A590 IS ... putting in a
>fast card (I currently have a Class 6 SDHC in it) doesn't improve its
>surprisingly slow write time. While it is 2x more pixels, it is
>perceptually slower than a 2003-vintage A80, despite being 5 years
>newer technology...a disappointment.

You must feel very threatened to stoop to bashing a single budget
example in an attempt to denigrate more capable alternatives.

>The S90's price point is right at the cusp of where one who care to
>can choose to trade-off camera size for an 800% gain in sensor size.

Not even close, as detailed in my earlier posts to this thread.

>[SNIP much ad hominem and mindless bashing]

Your childish ad hominem attacks only serve to make you look bad.

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:22:31 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
<66tce5dg6kcofpc5758kelvg93nv4ucddb(a)4ax.com>:

>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:03:53 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
><otif(a)myaddress.net> wrote:
>
>>Just as a DSLR is a "master of none". It's not even a "jack of all trades"
>>It can't be used silently so as to take photos of wild animals without
>>changing their behavior, your presence alerted to them by the sound of your
>>camera, or the subject fleeing without you getting a second chance to take
>>a shot.
>>
>>It can't be taken into most public performances these days due to the
>>intrusive and obnoxious qualities of them.
>
>That, in itself, is one of the best reasons to own a dslr and not a
>p&s. I don't like paying for a ticket and have some idiot in front of
>me standing up to fire off a flash picture of dots in the distance.

That's a pretty funny (and lame) excuse for dSLR. ;)

Panasonic FZ20 takes silent available light images with its superb
36-432 mm f/2.8 zoom.

From: nospam on
In article <fr4ee5p9196a1mduq553nj92auolvl8pnk(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> I've said nothing of the sort. What I have said is that even a budget
> dSLR kit that still falls far short of the Panasonic FZ28 is on the
> order of $1,128 (as I detailed in my earlier post to this thread), far
> more expensive than the FZ28, and to get close to comparable quality,
> it's more like $3,000 (Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
> lens, as I've detailed in several prior posts to this forum).

it wasn't true then and it isn't true now. your fz28 lens is nothing at
all like a $3000 canon l lens.