From: Bob Larter on
nospam wrote:
> In article <pc3ee5drvsi7vgentq1fo0g32m0e3jj6no(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> That's a bit harsh, but it is true that affordable dSLR cameras don't
>> measure up to the top compact digitals like the Panasonic FZ35,
>
> they not only measure up but they exceed it in just about every way
> other than size and weight.
>
>> and disingenuous to claim a dSLR for $400 is a reasonable alternative.
>
> not at all.
>
>> Even a budget Canon dSLR kit that still falls far short of the lens
>> performance of the FZ35, for example, runs much more (at B&H):
>> * Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital Camera (body only) . . $532.95
>> * Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens . . $595.00
>> Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,127.95
>
> *that* is very disingenuous. not everyone wants or needs an 18-200mm
> lens.
>
> right now, b&h has a nikon d40 with lens for $469 and a canon rebel xs
> with a lens for $499. the older pentax k110d and nikon d50 sold for
> *under* 400.

Or you could spend $50USD on a 50mm/F1.8II & a basic Canon DSLR.

From: Bob Larter on
tony cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:03:53 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
> <otif(a)myaddress.net> wrote:
>
>> Just as a DSLR is a "master of none". It's not even a "jack of all trades"
>> It can't be used silently so as to take photos of wild animals without
>> changing their behavior, your presence alerted to them by the sound of your
>> camera, or the subject fleeing without you getting a second chance to take
>> a shot.
>>
>> It can't be taken into most public performances these days due to the
>> intrusive and obnoxious qualities of them.
>
> That, in itself, is one of the best reasons to own a dslr and not a
> p&s. I don't like paying for a ticket and have some idiot in front of
> me standing up to fire off a flash picture of dots in the distance.

Too true. Any time I'm photographing a gig, I'm an invited guest. If
some P&S shooter refuses to move out of the way, I can just ask security
to move them for me.

From: Bob Larter on
John Navas wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:22:31 -0400, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
> <66tce5dg6kcofpc5758kelvg93nv4ucddb(a)4ax.com>:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:03:53 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
>> <otif(a)myaddress.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Just as a DSLR is a "master of none". It's not even a "jack of all trades"
>>> It can't be used silently so as to take photos of wild animals without
>>> changing their behavior, your presence alerted to them by the sound of your
>>> camera, or the subject fleeing without you getting a second chance to take
>>> a shot.
>>>
>>> It can't be taken into most public performances these days due to the
>>> intrusive and obnoxious qualities of them.
>> That, in itself, is one of the best reasons to own a dslr and not a
>> p&s. I don't like paying for a ticket and have some idiot in front of
>> me standing up to fire off a flash picture of dots in the distance.
>
> That's a pretty funny (and lame) excuse for dSLR. ;)
>
> Panasonic FZ20 takes silent available light images with its superb
> 36-432 mm f/2.8 zoom.

<grin> Too bad if you need a 20mm shot to include the entire stage. ;^)

From: Bob Larter on
John Navas wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:56:37 -0700, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
> <fr4ee5p9196a1mduq553nj92auolvl8pnk(a)4ax.com>:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), -hh
>
>>> Since John expressed a hypothetical willingness to pay 4x the price of
>>> a typical P&S, the proportionally appropriate factor of 4x taken
>>> against the price of an S90, would give us a $1600 budget to work
>>> with. Plenty of options & choices. And even if we do a simple
>>> linearization to a +$300 premium, that would afford a $700 budget;
>>> there's still several choices.
>> I've said nothing of the sort. What I have said is that even a budget
>> dSLR kit that still falls far short of the Panasonic FZ28 is on the
>> order of $1,128 (as I detailed in my earlier post to this thread), far
>> more expensive than the FZ28, and to get close to comparable quality,
>> it's more like $3,000 (Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
>> lens, as I've detailed in several prior posts to this forum).
>> Apology accepted.
>
> Even the big and expensive Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
> lens isn't all that close:

Are you serious? The 28-300mm EF is a 10:1 zoom! Try using a _good_ lens.

From: Bob Larter on
John Navas wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:18:10 -0700 (PDT), -hh
> <recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
> <84cd2ddf-350b-41ad-ab51-0ce50c93b453(a)k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>:
>
>> John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>> Are you so threatened by better and more capable compact digital
>>> cameras that you're only willing to focus on the poorer ones?
>> What I find unpalatable is dishonesty, and your dishonesty here is in
>> suggesting that all dSLRs are "too expensive" while offering $400 P&S
>> alternatives ... which costs just as much as a basic dSLR today.
>
> Nope. As I detailed recently here, the price point for even a basic,
> much less capable dSLR alternative is well over $1,000, with even the
> $3,000 level still not measuring up.

Oh bullshit. I can spend a couple of hundred dollars on a used, previous
generation DSLR, & $50 on a good prime lens, & take better photos than
you can with a crappy P&S. Plus, the DSLR will probably last longer than
the P&S.