From: nospam on
In article <4aead29d$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Bob Larter
<bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > Even the big and expensive Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
> > lens isn't all that close:
>
> Are you serious? The 28-300mm EF is a 10:1 zoom! Try using a _good_ lens.

he's fixated on a superzoom.
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:41:31 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <4aead0ee$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>nospam wrote:
>> In article <pc3ee5drvsi7vgentq1fo0g32m0e3jj6no(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
>> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That's a bit harsh, but it is true that affordable dSLR cameras don't
>>> measure up to the top compact digitals like the Panasonic FZ35,
>>
>> they not only measure up but they exceed it in just about every way
>> other than size and weight.
>>
>>> and disingenuous to claim a dSLR for $400 is a reasonable alternative.
>>
>> not at all.
>>
>>> Even a budget Canon dSLR kit that still falls far short of the lens
>>> performance of the FZ35, for example, runs much more (at B&H):
>>> * Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital Camera (body only) . . $532.95
>>> * Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens . . $595.00
>>> Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,127.95
>>
>> *that* is very disingenuous. not everyone wants or needs an 18-200mm
>> lens.
>>
>> right now, b&h has a nikon d40 with lens for $469 and a canon rebel xs
>> with a lens for $499. the older pentax k110d and nikon d50 sold for
>> *under* 400.
>
>Or you could spend $50USD on a 50mm/F1.8II & a basic Canon DSLR.

And wind up with something much less capable than and not really
comparable to a much less expensive compact digital. By that logic,
compact digital cameras "start" at under $10. Most people need and want
more, which is why entry-level dSLR kits feature zoom lenses. My number
are for an entry-level dSLR more (but still not really) comparable to a
compact digital super-zoom. To claim otherwise is disingenuous and
misleading.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:44:57 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <4aead1bc(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>John Navas wrote:

>> Panasonic FZ20 takes silent available light images with its superb
>> 36-432 mm f/2.8 zoom.
>
><grin> Too bad if you need a 20mm shot to include the entire stage. ;^)

1. 36 mm is just fine in the great majority of cases.
2. 20 mm lenses result is greatly distorted images.
3. Most dSLR owners aren't equipped with 20 mm lenses.
4. It's a disingenuous to assume infinite lenses.
5. Panoramas can easily be created by stitching images.

In other words, a non-issue.

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:44:05 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <4aead188$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>tony cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:03:53 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
>> <otif(a)myaddress.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Just as a DSLR is a "master of none". It's not even a "jack of all trades"
>>> It can't be used silently so as to take photos of wild animals without
>>> changing their behavior, your presence alerted to them by the sound of your
>>> camera, or the subject fleeing without you getting a second chance to take
>>> a shot.
>>>
>>> It can't be taken into most public performances these days due to the
>>> intrusive and obnoxious qualities of them.
>>
>> That, in itself, is one of the best reasons to own a dslr and not a
>> p&s. I don't like paying for a ticket and have some idiot in front of
>> me standing up to fire off a flash picture of dots in the distance.
>
>Too true. Any time I'm photographing a gig, I'm an invited guest. If
>some P&S shooter refuses to move out of the way, I can just ask security
>to move them for me.

How silly and arrogant. I'd hazard a guess that you're no more welcome.

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:48:42 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <4aead29d$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>John Navas wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:56:37 -0700, John Navas
>> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
>> <fr4ee5p9196a1mduq553nj92auolvl8pnk(a)4ax.com>:
>>
>>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), -hh

>>> I've said nothing of the sort. What I have said is that even a budget
>>> dSLR kit that still falls far short of the Panasonic FZ28 is on the
>>> order of $1,128 (as I detailed in my earlier post to this thread), far
>>> more expensive than the FZ28, and to get close to comparable quality,
>>> it's more like $3,000 (Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
>>> lens, as I've detailed in several prior posts to this forum).
>>> Apology accepted.
>>
>> Even the big and expensive Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
>> lens isn't all that close:
>
>Are you serious? The 28-300mm EF is a 10:1 zoom! Try using a _good_ lens.

The Panasonic FZ28 has an _18:1_ zoom that is more than _good_.

The painful fact for dSLR fans/users is that there _aren't_ any good
lenses that even get close to matching the Leica super-zoom lenses on
Panasonic compact digital cameras. They instead have to fantasize
lugging around and fumbling with an infinite lens kit.