From: nospam on
In article <u4tle5t94da8c6r2dp2lpdmj0nta3ll078(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> That, in itself, is one of the best reasons to own a dslr and not a
> >> p&s. I don't like paying for a ticket and have some idiot in front of
> >> me standing up to fire off a flash picture of dots in the distance.
> >
> >Too true. Any time I'm photographing a gig, I'm an invited guest. If
> >some P&S shooter refuses to move out of the way, I can just ask security
> >to move them for me.
>
> How silly and arrogant. I'd hazard a guess that you're no more welcome.

there's nothing silly about that. if someone is invited or hired to
photograph an event, it is expected that security remove anyone that
interferes. there's also a pretty good chance that photography is only
permitted with permission (which a patron with a p&s is probably not),
giving security all the more reason to do something about it.
From: -hh on
John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> Bob Larter <bobbylar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >John Navas wrote:
> >> Panasonic FZ20 takes silent available light
> >> images with its superb 36-432 mm f/2.8 zoom.
>
> ><grin> Too bad if you need a 20mm shot to
> include the entire stage. ;^)
>
> 1. 36 mm is just fine in the great majority of cases.

Yet there's the entire field of "Wide Angle" which not only starts at
lower focal lengths (35mm), but because it been around for 40+ years
(just go look at your father's Kodachrome 64's from your family
vacations), it isn't at all unknown or uncommon.

> 2. 20 mm lenses result is greatly distorted images.

It doesn't matter for some subjects. Which is why there's been
entire companies developed within photography that were built around
20mm...and wider!...focal lengths as being of primary interest, such
as S&S. The relative popularity can be judged by reviewing 20 years
of magazine covers within those interest segments to see what
percentage of their compositions using such 'extremely wide' angles.

> 3. Most dSLR owners aren't equipped with 20 mm lenses.

Most P&S owners don't have $400 P&S "SuperZoom" cameras. So how is
it thus not blatant hypocrisy to insist on using a P&S niche as the
alledged justification to trash someone else's niche?

> 4. It's a disingenuous to assume infinite lenses.

Just as it is disingenous to assume that everyone has to have a
superzoom.

> 5. Panoramas can easily be created by stitching images.

Not if *anything* is moving, which requires both a static composition
as well as a static camera...eg, a tripod.

This then means that all of those "light" and "fits in my pocket"
attributes that nominally favor a P&S unfortunately disappear, simply
because of their need for tripod to conduct a stiched panorama as an
attempt to be an acceptable substitute for failing to have a wider
lens.

-hh
From: nospam on
In article
<1094eb7d-3e4a-4694-92a9-179813b5ec6b(a)v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>,
-hh <recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:

> > 5. Panoramas can easily be created by stitching images.
>
> Not if *anything* is moving, which requires both a static composition
> as well as a static camera...eg, a tripod.

you are forgetting that the laws of physics do not apply to him. he can
make panoramas of moving subjects (and he's actually claimed this).

> This then means that all of those "light" and "fits in my pocket"
> attributes that nominally favor a P&S unfortunately disappear, simply
> because of their need for tripod to conduct a stiched panorama as an
> attempt to be an acceptable substitute for failing to have a wider
> lens.

don't bring up facts! :)
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:26:31 -0700 (PDT), -hh
<recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
<1094eb7d-3e4a-4694-92a9-179813b5ec6b(a)v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>:

>[HUGE SNIP]
>This then means that all of those "light" and "fits in my pocket"
>attributes that nominally favor a P&S unfortunately disappear, simply
>because of their need for tripod to conduct a stiched panorama as an
>attempt to be an acceptable substitute for failing to have a wider
>lens.

Nope, no matter how many times you make those false and misleading
claims.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Ray Fischer on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
><recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
>
>>[HUGE SNIP]

That's a pretty artless retreat.

>>This then means that all of those "light" and "fits in my pocket"
>>attributes that nominally favor a P&S unfortunately disappear, simply
>>because of their need for tripod to conduct a stiched panorama as an
>>attempt to be an acceptable substitute for failing to have a wider
>>lens.
>
>Nope, no matter how many times you make those false and misleading
>claims.

You're not very honest, either.

--
Ray Fischer