From: nospam on
In article <826ee59gc281ktpd71ic4f9dis9letvbck(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> for the most part, memory buffers make that a non-issue. it's very rare
> >> that anyone is going to be limited by the speed of a card except in
> >> very crappy cameras or the rare occasion of shooting a *lot* of photos
> >> at once.
> >
> >I was specifically referring to the Canon A590 IS ... putting in a
> >fast card (I currently have a Class 6 SDHC in it) doesn't improve its
> >surprisingly slow write time. While it is 2x more pixels, it is
> >perceptually slower than a 2003-vintage A80, despite being 5 years
> >newer technology...a disappointment.
>
> You must feel very threatened to stoop to bashing a single budget
> example in an attempt to denigrate more capable alternatives.

you must feel very threatened to stoop to bashing a single contrived
example (a dslr with a $3000 lens) in an attempt to denigrate dslrs.

> Your childish ad hominem attacks only serve to make you look bad.

it's not any worse than what you're doing.
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:56:37 -0700, John Navas
<fr4ee5p9196a1mduq553nj92auolvl8pnk(a)4ax.com>:

>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), -hh

>>Since John expressed a hypothetical willingness to pay 4x the price of
>>a typical P&S, the proportionally appropriate factor of 4x taken
>>against the price of an S90, would give us a $1600 budget to work
>>with. Plenty of options & choices. And even if we do a simple
>>linearization to a +$300 premium, that would afford a $700 budget;
>>there's still several choices.
>
>I've said nothing of the sort. What I have said is that even a budget
>dSLR kit that still falls far short of the Panasonic FZ28 is on the
>order of $1,128 (as I detailed in my earlier post to this thread), far
>more expensive than the FZ28, and to get close to comparable quality,
>it's more like $3,000 (Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
>lens, as I've detailed in several prior posts to this forum).
>Apology accepted.

Even the big and expensive Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
lens isn't all that close:

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-28-300.shtml>

This is a decent performing lens when it comes to sharpness, but not
a great lens. The graph above shows that stopping down a couple of
stops from wide open will strongly improve performance (as it does
with many lenses), but at smaller apertures diffraction effects start
to kill performance. F/11 and f/16 are therefore the optimum working
apertures. This serves as a good example of the darkside of using
slow maximum aperture lenses. Since almost all except the very finest
telephoto lenses need to be stopped down to reach their sweet spot,
using a lens with a slow maximum aperture to begin with means working
at small apertures, and therefore needing to use higher ISO settings.
As is the case in almost every aspect of life -- there's no free
lunch.

The Bottom Line

It's big, it's heavy and it's expensive. All aspects of performance
at the wide end of the lens' focal range are modest, though it
improves to quite decent levels at mid and long focal lengths. I am
certain that there are photographers who will find that this lens'
performance meets their needs, and for whom its physical and
financial challenges are acceptable. But for many photographers two
separate high quality zoom lens may well prove to be a preferable
solution.

In other words, there simply is no real dSLR alternative to a compact
digital super-zoom like the Panasonic FZ28 with Leica lens. "F/11 and
f/16" more than negate the ISO advantage of the dSLR.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: -hh on
John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> -hh <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:

> >Where "a bit larger" is roughly 100%-300% more area versus a 1/2.5" or
> >1/2.7".  Hard to retain credibility when trying to trivialize such
> >relative magnitudes of difference.
>
> Canon S90        1/1.7"           43.3 mm²
> Panasonic FZ28   1/2.33" sensor   28.5 mm²
> Canon S90 sensor is thus 50% larger than the FZ28.

By your own admission, the FZ28 isn't using a 1/2.5" or 1/2.7" sensor
as was explictly detailed in the above text. Congratulations on YA
disingenous attempt to warp the statement and move the goal posts.

> >Including write times to memory cards.  IME, the newer P&Ss have
> >gotten slower than older P&Ss.
>
> Your experience must be with slower memory cards...

Your reading experience must have missed where I previously stated
that it was a **CLASS 6** SCHD card.

> >Since John expressed a hypothetical willingness to pay 4x the price of
> >a typical P&S, the proportionally appropriate factor of 4x taken
> >against the price of an S90, would give us a $1600 budget to work
> >with.  Plenty of options & choices.  And even if we do a simple
> >linearization to a +$300 premium, that would afford a $700 budget;
> >there's still several choices.
>
> I've said nothing of the sort.

Sorry, but you were the one who introduced the Canon S90 to the
conversation, and it is public knowledge that it is not a $100 P&S
camera. Without any doubt, you introduced the concept of paying more
to gain higher performance...all of your own free will.

Thus, your attempt to distract & deflect simply does not fly.

-hh

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:39:42 -0700 (PDT), -hh
<recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
<b30b2222-bc8a-4db3-acaa-abd5c2c8a2de(a)m16g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>:

>John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> -hh <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:

>> >Where "a bit larger" is roughly 100%-300% more area versus a 1/2.5" or
>> >1/2.7". �Hard to retain credibility when trying to trivialize such
>> >relative magnitudes of difference.
>>
>> Canon S90 � � � �1/1.7" � � � � � 43.3 mm�
>> Panasonic FZ28 � 1/2.33" sensor � 28.5 mm�
>> Canon S90 sensor is thus 50% larger than the FZ28.
>
>By your own admission, the FZ28 isn't using a 1/2.5" or 1/2.7" sensor
>as was explictly detailed in the above text. Congratulations on YA
>disingenous attempt to warp the statement and move the goal posts.

The FZ28 is a "representative" and "usual" compact digital camera,
albeit better and more capable than most.

Are you so threatened by better and more capable compact digital cameras
that you're only willing to focus on the poorer ones?

>> >Including write times to memory cards. �IME, the newer P&Ss have
>> >gotten slower than older P&Ss.
>>
>> Your experience must be with slower memory cards...
>
>Your reading experience must have missed where I previously stated
>that it was a **CLASS 6** SCHD card.

FYI, while Class 6 is the fastest official class, that speed is _much_
less than the performance of the Extreme III.

>> >Since John expressed a hypothetical willingness to pay 4x the price of
>> >a typical P&S, the proportionally appropriate factor of 4x taken
>> >against the price of an S90, would give us a $1600 budget to work
>> >with. �Plenty of options & choices. �And even if we do a simple
>> >linearization to a +$300 premium, that would afford a $700 budget;
>> >there's still several choices.
>>
>> I've said nothing of the sort. �
>
>Sorry, but you were the one who introduced the Canon S90 to the
>conversation, and it is public knowledge that it is not a $100 P&S
>camera. Without any doubt, you introduced the concept of paying more
>to gain higher performance...all of your own free will.
>
>Thus, your attempt to distract & deflect simply does not fly.

What actually won't fly is this silly and childish attempt to put words
in my mouth.

From: nospam on
In article <picee5hdsk3l6bo0hnafc32g1t1isf1tjj(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Thus, your attempt to distract & deflect simply does not fly.
>
> What actually won't fly is this silly and childish attempt to put words
> in my mouth.

you do a fine job of putting them in your own mouth.